Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Getting rid of the bootcut

Hi, bought RRDS and have decided they are a little too bootcut for me. Was wondering if it is possible to have them tailored to make them more into a straight leg? Has anyone done this? How did it turn out?

Super Moderator The Truth bilmaga's Avatar
    Images
    Yes it is possible. Someone on this forum converted his ralfs to jims (to a certain degree) so I know it has been done.

I would check with a tailor as well.

Thanks for the reply. I'm honestly not sure how tailoring works, but will the fact that they are selvage impact whether they can be tailored. I normally dont cuff, but I like having the option and dont want the tailoring to mess up the selvage.

Images
    If my memory serves me correct, I think that the flare is more on the inside of the leg. The selvage is straight all the way down. I think that the tailor would alter the inside of the leg leaving the selvage untouched.

I dont know anything about where the bootcut starts on the RR, but if you want to hem and preserve the selvedge on the jeans ask your tailor to do a "european cuff" when they hem your jeans. This means he cuts off the excess denim but sews back the original cuff on the jeans so when the hemming is done, you still have the original cuff with a reduction in the length

Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnMainStreet
    I dont know anything about where the bootcut starts on the RR, but if you want to hem and preserve the selvedge on the jeans ask your tailor to do a "european cuff" when they hem your jeans. This means he cuts off the excess denim but sews back the original cuff on the jeans so when the hemming is done, you still have the original cuff with a reduction in the length
    you don't have to do the a Cali Cuff to preserve the selvedge... that keeps the original hem, but selvedge runs up the entire leg and has nothing to do with the hem. the only reason to do a cali cuff is if there is something special about the original hem of the jeans, like a pre-wash fading or weathering that you want to keep. definitely don't do a cali cuff with dry jeans. there's no use for it b/c there's nothing special about the original hem. and in some cases, depending on the demin and the tailor you use, it makes the jeans lie funny which will affect the fade.

just find a good tailor and ask him now to mess with the outseam, only take in the jeans from the inseam. and no matter what, you'll still be wearing selvedge demin, you just won't be able to prove it if you loose the self edge ;)

i always wondered about this too... can u dip the boot part on in really hot water then? to sorta shrink just that part?

I did this to my ralfs, its a very simple procedure even with the selvage there. They will undo your selvage but it will be stitched up like new. Then they will remove triangles from your in seam and sew the whole thing back up again. Just tell your tailor EXACTLY what you want and say it clearly.

Should cost around 20 dollars.
    Nudie Dry Denim FAQ
    Part I
    Part II

Images
    I'm glad you brought back an older, similar thread rather than starting your own.

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by white_nudies
    And most of all F*CK you Bilmaga. You are truly a whopping douchebag.

Yeah, someone new who actually uses the search function.
    Denim Gallery! Click here