Discussion in 'Slim Jim' started by theLorax, May 28, 2007.
Yes it is the greycast
Well crap, I want some SJs and Olas in regular old Dry and I can't find them friggin' anywhere! I might settle for Dry Japan but I have yet to see any really aged ones that blew me away. Not that i doubt they exist, just haven't seen them.
cultizm has them.
Even though they are the "broken twill" and the "light" they are the same as they always were.
Kitchener also has them both.
Just purchased a pair of SJDBS. Should I have them hemmed?
Here are some pics of my Slim Jim Dry Black Stretch:
So what do you guys think?
your SJDB doesn't look as dark as my friends Dry Black, is the stretch dry black has diffrences in color ?
To be honest, I am not sure. These are my first Nudies. However, at one point I thought they were blue until I read that they were really black. I finally brought it into the bright lights and saw its true color.
Those are the SJDB. I also had the same thoughts when I got mine. I was like "what the hell, these are blue" until you put them next to another blue pair.
do slim jims come in a 36 length? I really like how some of you guys have a lot of stacking...but I'm 6'2" and a 34 length doesnt stack all that much.
36 ? you're a center in the field ?
Nudies come in a 36 length, but they are really hard to find. If you live near a store that sells nudies, see if they can order you a pair.
How much do nudies generally shrink in Length after the first wash?
Like cabl3 said, they can be stretched back after washing while they're damp. After I washed mine, I pulled and stretched my inseam while they were damp and didn't notice any significant shrinkage in length.
Classic Noob Sizing Question
Hey guys, I want to get into raw denim and I am pretty sure that the slim jim is the right cut for me. However, I need to make sure I get the right size if I am going to be dropping $140 on a pair of jeans.
My measured waist size is a 31.5, I am around 5'10 and weigh 140lbs(that will probably go up a little after wrestling is over).
As far as the fit I am looking for goes, I wear my jeans kinda low, below the waist but not excessively sagging. I want them to be slim and be able to be worn with high top nikes without the jean covering the whole shoe(tongue over jean most likely). However, I want to have little bit of stacking so they don't look completely straight down like a girl's jean would but at the same time have them be noticably "slim". I guess what I mean is baggy yet slim. This picture is kind of what im looking for but I would probably want them a tad shorter and wear them lower because that length looks too sloppy at the bottom for me:
Sooo.....knowing that dry denim stretches, what size do you think would be best to suit my needs?
How do these compare to other jean lengths. For instance my J.Crew 32x30 seem to have a pretty good length but are a little too baggy and not slim enough when I wear them below the waist like I like to.
get 30x34 (well if u want to wear it on hips then it might a bit too long), i'm 5'9" and i used 34 length but then i dun use my jeans low. like cabl3 said, 30 will be good (eg i measured 34" waist, and i use 32 in nudies).
Do you or anyone else here around my height have a pic of a 30x34 for reference? Sorry for asking for so much, but this is a large investment for jeans for me.
A few noobie nudie questions
Hey guys, I'm looking for my first pair of raw denim and the slim jim seems to be the right cut for me. However I need a few things cleared up before dropping down the money.
1. Where is the best place, aka cheapest, to buy the slim jim?
2. Is buying the Japense denim a better idea than regular dry? For what reasons?
3. As far as fit is concerned, I like to wear my jeans low(around the hip) and not on the waist. However I still want a noticeably slim fit. I want the jeans have a little bit of stacking going on but not to the point where it looks baggy and messy. What size do you think will be best for me. For reference, my waist size is a 32 and I am 5'10" 145lbs.
4. I have heard that after the first wash, the pants will shrink back to there original size canceling out stretching. Should I still size down a size?
5. Once I get the desired look of the jean I am looking for, washing them will retain this color and stop anymore further fading correct?
Sorry for making such a cliche thread, but I really want to get my hands on these jeans.
To answer your questions in order...
1.I'm not exactly sure about the best place there is to buy the jeans. I've personally bought from tobi and revolve and context are always nice options. There are so many options so just surf the net.
2. If you're talking about the Dry Japan that is made in the Slim Jim, it's not actually authenic Japanese denim, nor is it selvedge, but Slim Jim's aren't made in selvedge anyway. I think that the Japans fade faster, and with more of an electric blue fade initially. The regular drys are probably shinier, and fade slower, but at the same time, I've seen some great drys, for example my brothers. The Slim Jim Dry Greycast is also an option, which is what I have currently. The Greycast is probably made with the best quality denim of the three, and it is certainly the heaviest. They have a bit of a green tone, if you're into that, not to mention they fade very well. So none of them are really "better" than any of the others, it's mostly preference.
3. I would definitely size down if I were you...you sound like the same body size as me, and I'm a 30, but I won't tell you to get a 30. After all, you should know your body size better than I do. I'd say go with a 31. If they are tight at first, wearing them low will contribute to the stretching.
4. Yes certainly, because they'll stretch right back out. From my experience, they don't really even shrink much.
5. Personally, I don't think you can ever get the complete desired effect from dry denim. That's what's cool, they keep aging and looking more badass. When you wash them, they lose overall color. They will not stay the same forever. That's why those ugly Levi's sitting in the back of your drawer are so light when they started out dark. A washer makes the overall blue tone of the jeans decrease. However, there are ways to slow that down...i.e vinegar, but let's get to point A first.
And yes, it was a cliche newb question but you were nice and honest about it so I tried my best.
If you mean your actual waist size is 32 then you're the exact same measurements as I am. My waist is a 32 but I normally wear either 30 or 31. In my slim jims I sized down to a 29 and now they fit perfect right around the hips. If you don't mean your actual waist size then ignore everything I just said. Good luck!
Thanks a lot for the help guys that was basically what I needed. I think I will go with a 30 because the actual waist size is a 31 correct? And by waist size I more mean the area where I would actually be wearing the jeans is a 32. So as far as length is concerned should I be looking at a 32 or a 34 if I'm looking to wear them near the hips with some stacking but not to the point of looking sloppy and too long? And then the personal choice between greycast or SJDJ but the whole green jean thing is kind of throwing me off.
Separate names with a comma.