PDA

View Full Version : slim suits?

Sobot
5th August 2008, 00:10
does any one know of any companies/brands who make a slimmer suit that's not Dior Homme?

I don't exactly have $4000+, but I do have a good amount...

I'm not a fan of H&M's quality, so don't give me that either...

I just find it difficult to learn of suits that are cheap, that fit like the slim Dior suits... with the narrow lapel and all.

Any input would be lovely.

Thanks!

Benzak
5th August 2008, 00:12
go for made-to-measure suits. nowadays many companies can offer those for under 1000

SirCheesecake
5th August 2008, 01:29
Designer suits by Armani and the likes tend to be stylish and therefore slim. They arent terribly expensive either. Made to measure is the other way to go.

aprilguy
5th August 2008, 01:44
I know what you mean. I've been looking for the same for a long time. Hugo Boss red label works well on me. Have you ever tried it? Armani just isn't slim enough.

airblaster
9th August 2008, 20:07
Mens dresswear is extremely difficult to make, therefore, finding a good suit (that is well cut/constructed, tasteful/quality materials etc) is not going to come cheap. In my experience, you can find cheaper examples but they won't last and eventually you'll end up looking back at Dior, etc.

Bite the bullet, buy a quality suit that fits you and enjoy it. Realize that you will not need to (and probably not be able to) buy another suit for some years to come. Cherish it.

Look into Prada. They had some extraordinarily slim fitting suits 2-3 years back. Perhaps Paul Smith as well, not terribly slim, but I haven't taken a look at his line this year-excellent material selection and the prices aren't outrageous.

keikun13
10th August 2008, 01:24
I'm actually kind of in the same boat. I have a suit but I don't really like how it fits. I'm thinking about going to a tailor to get it slimmed down a bit.

johncubus
10th August 2008, 05:50
I recently bought a slim fitting ACNE suit from Blackbird in Seattle. I got it for $900 after 10% sufu discount. I'll post a pic in a bit.

who8mahrice
10th August 2008, 10:04
I recently bought a slim fitting ANCE suit I bought from Blackbird in Seattle. I got it for $900 after 10% sufu discount. I'll post a pic in a bit.

There's a SuFu discount o.O?

johncubus
10th August 2008, 10:50
@Josh, yeah my bad I meant ACNE.

@who8mahrice, just tell them you are a sufu member and provide them with your user name and they will give you 10% off full price items.

genericname
11th August 2008, 16:03
Ralph Lauren Black Label suits(and shirts) are slim.

Conifurious
11th August 2008, 21:41
Go European. If you ever manage to find a Daffy's in your area, you can surely find a beautiful Italian tailored suit for a reasonable price. In general, from what i have seen while there, European men's wear tends to run considerably slimmer than that of American brands, and it is the only store where I can find button-downs which accommodate my incredibly disproportionate body.

who8mahrice
12th August 2008, 01:43
@Josh, yeah my bad I meant ACNE.

@who8mahrice, just tell them you are a sufu member and provide them with your user name and they will give you 10% off full price items.

Thanks for the info, John.

ive seen those at the Ralph store....so nice... around 3k tho...

You can often pick up Black and Purple label stuff over on the StyleForum marketplace for "cheap" (i.e. deeply discounted from retail, but still quite a lot).

johncubus
12th August 2008, 10:48
Here's the fit pic on the ACNE suit (apologies for the crappy quality). The suit, shirt and shoes are all ACNE.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa168/johncubus/IMG_4814.jpg

who8mahrice
13th August 2008, 09:13
Shit, that's nice.

The $900 suit you got, that would be the jacket and pants?

johncubus
13th August 2008, 09:14
Shit, that's nice.

The $900 suit you got, that would be the jacket and pants?

Yeah, just the jacket and pants.

johncubus
13th August 2008, 09:21
thats nice man...very nice indeed.

Thanks dudes. Surprisingly the only thing I needed altered was the hem of the pants. The suit fit perfectly right off the rack.

johncubus
13th August 2008, 09:27
I am in search of this kind of experience....:-)

It's probably because you're too buffed dude!

BeauIXI
13th August 2008, 12:38
Excellent, John,

Guys should try LOVA suits, too. They're very nice, they even have a pure silk one. Yeah, silk.

Conifurious
13th January 2009, 01:21
I forgot all about this topic. I'm resurrecting it largely because I want to preach the ways of shopping at surplus merchandise stores like Daffy's, Marshall's and Loehmann's when making a purchase like this. People seem to have this misconception that you MUST spend 800 dollars to get an 800 dollar suit. No, no, no, absolutely not!

When you shop in these stores you are not getting quality control rejects with subtle abrasions and sharpied collar labels. If you know how to shop efficiently and intelligently, you can save ridiculous amounts of money. This is particularly pertinent when shopping for suits.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/Your_enigma/anothersuit.jpg

A cross-post from the new purchases thread. Bad photo quality, but regardless, a $795 suit from Gazzarrini, 100% Virgin Wool. I paid $99. You can barely buy a tie for that little these days.

It can be done. You just have to know where to look.

P.S. Love the suit Johncubus. ;-)

Conifurious
13th January 2009, 04:02
Thanks cabl3. The jacket is a European 50, which is basically the equivalent of a U.S. 40R. Just like most American brands, there are size variations between labels. In Gazzarrini, I'm a 50, but 48 in Pepe Firenze, so on and so forth. You just have try on as many as you can get your hands on, and know what a proper fit is supposed to feel and look like.

I can understand the difficulty involved in finding places like this though. Especially if you live a ways outside of the NYC area (or any major city for that matter).