PDA

View Full Version : My home-made jeans, an update.

Conifurious
12th July 2008, 07:01
About a year ago, if anyone recalls, I attempted to make a pair of home-made jeans, largely for the experience more than anything profit driven. Still, if any of you remember, they had a terribly exaggerated flare, and though I can tolerate a modest bootcut, I have really outgrown this flared look. So then...

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/Your_enigma/flarefixed3.jpghttp://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/Your_enigma/flarefixed2.jpg

Straight-leg, easy in the thighs. If I ever were to make a few more pairs, this would be the most probable model, though with a less....edgy pocket design perhaps.

BlakFate
12th July 2008, 07:08
i do remember that, and the fact that they were mega flared
these are a far better cut, although personally i like something slimmer

Sleven
12th July 2008, 07:16
I'm near flabbergasted on the front of these. I love the slit and the distress that is in the denim...I would probably buy this if it was at some store :]

Conifurious
12th July 2008, 07:23
i do remember that, and the fact that they were mega flared
these are a far better cut, although personally i like something slimmer

As would I, but for this particular pair, that would involve an almost complete reconstruction. For now, I am satisfied with this "regular" cut. I may make modifications for future models of course. Slimmer thigh, slight taper, etc.

Ghost
12th July 2008, 07:23
You've been here for 5 years?! I don't remember that! But they look great! And I'm in the process of creating some of my own as well!

DoitsuJin
12th July 2008, 07:38
aw coni, you're not into bootcuts anymore? i guess epilogue is our sole survivor for the bootcut promoters on these forums... (im a bootcut fan, but i'm also a fan of many cuts so... haha)

i like the fit. i think these would be solid with 1) selvedge and 2) a different back pocket design, those look too... i don't know the word for it, perhaps tacky?

Conifurious
12th July 2008, 07:44
aw coni, you're not into bootcuts anymore? i guess epilogue is our sole survivor for the bootcut promoters on these forums... (im a bootcut fan, but i'm also a fan of many cuts so... haha)

i like the fit. i think these would be solid with 1) selvedge and 2) a different back pocket design, those look too... i don't know the word for it, perhaps tacky?

Yea, pretty much.

Oh, but don't think I have abandoned the bootcut, I still own several, and just bought a pair today (which I'll post later). I've just decided to open myself up to some alternatives. Flares however, are right out. :lol:

mugatu7177
12th July 2008, 09:13
those are awesome, i think the pockets are a great look. I wish I could make my own jeans, then I wouldn't have to spend so much money.

Opeth
12th July 2008, 10:02
Front looks good, but I'm not really feeling the backpockets though.

whenitsquiet
12th July 2008, 10:40
those look great! u and i have simmilar taste i used t be a huge boot guy but now i wont wear a pair anymore but i think they will come back in the future

nudieaddict
12th July 2008, 11:06
You may have inspired me to have a go! They look great.

Is selvage denim readily available at textile stores? And how much is it per metre?

BlueOctoberFan
12th July 2008, 15:59
I've never found any in stores, but my looking was extremely casual and cursory.

Coni, they look great except for the pockets. I think the angles are just a little to extreme. Having the bottom corner of the pocket at greater than 90 degrees will make a wallet just not sit right, and even then it would have to be small enough to fit the pocket diagonally.

As to the bootcut sideline going on here, I'm thinking of getting a bootcut for my next pair. A little slimmer through the leg, but with a slight flare at the bottom may suit my body-type better than just going slimmer.

Conifurious
12th July 2008, 16:18
I've never found any in stores, but my looking was extremely casual and cursory.

Coni, they look great except for the pockets. I think the angles are just a little to extreme. Having the bottom corner of the pocket at greater than 90 degrees will make a wallet just not sit right, and even then it would have to be small enough to fit the pocket diagonally.

As to the bootcut sideline going on here, I'm thinking of getting a bootcut for my next pair. A little slimmer through the leg, but with a slight flare at the bottom may suit my body-type better than just going slimmer.

I think most of the site is pretty much in accord with the fact that the pockets are a complete failure. I get it. :lol: It's an easy fix nonetheless.

Oh, and I have never found selvage denim from any of my textile sources.

BAerts
12th July 2008, 17:36

I think you're on the right track, BOF. ;-)