PDA

View Full Version : British band called Porcupine Tree

hajichan13
2nd November 2005, 09:46
anyone listens to this band? its virtually nameless here in japan. i was wondering if some of the members could give me a recommendation on their CD, like whats a good starter to get in. seems like many of you here are from Europe, so you might have come across them more over there. would be happy to get any help :)

distracted
2nd November 2005, 10:35
Hi - I wouldn't say Porcupine Tree were famous here in the UK either, but they have a cult following. Maybe their music is too experimental for most people, but it's good interesting stuff.

They've released two new albums this year, but I haven't heard them.

If you want to start listening to them, maybe try a compilation, like Stars Die, which is a double CD of bits and pieces of their early work from 1991 to 1997, but I think they've released about 6 or 7 albums since 1997!

If it's a whole album you want, try Stupid Dream - it's a good mixture of rock, acoustic and orchestral stuff.

Good luck!

hajichan13
2nd November 2005, 18:25
hi thanks for the response! :P nice to find someone who knew the band. do you happen to know anywhere online that i can get their CD/LPs? i came up with several on their official web store and eBay, but a bit pricy..

distracted
2nd November 2005, 20:22
In the UK, there are a few sites that sell their albums, like CD Wow, Tesco, Foxy, and Amazon but I don't know if they ship overseas - Amazon probably does. Worth a look I suppose.

www.cdwow.com, www.tesco.com, www.foxy.co.uk, www.amazon.co.uk

Epilogue
2nd November 2005, 23:18
In Germany Porcupine Tree are stars. My fave albums are Stupid Dream and In Absentia. My fave songs are 'a smart kid', 'fadeaway', 'trains', 'collapse light into earth', 'heartattack in a layby', 'shesmovedon'.
I also would recomdend you the new group from Poland called Riverside. The new album Second Life Syndrom and their Debut Out Of Myself are masterpieces. They are often compared to Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Anathema and Pink Floyd but with the new album they've found their own style in my eyes. They only got supreme reviews on their new album so I guess they will become famous now.

e