PDA

View Full Version : Trying to put together a new wardrobe.. what do you think?

greatfire
21st September 2007, 17:37
Alright, I'm trying to upgrade my style a little bit. I'm a 21 year old african american male, and I'm about to graduate college. That means I have one more semester to go, and then its the real world. In preparation for this last semester and beyond, I'd like to kick my style up a notch.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to good, trendy jeans I can get? What about t-shirts/buttondowns/etc? Sweaters?

I just need some all around advice.

I'm 6'1" and weigh about 160lbs (that is, I'm skinny). Most of my height is in my legs, so I have to compensate for long legs and short torso. Also, I have arms that are a bit longer than is average for my height. This means that my skinniness is really brought out by those t-shirts with extra short sleeves, or by t-shirts/shirts that aren't long enough. Know what I mean? t-shirts with regular-length sleeves look shorter on me. This situation has really made it difficult for me to grow up out of my oversized t-shirt phase. The oversized shirts look horrible on me, but make me look alot better than the really small t-shirts that are in now.

I'm not big into the really baggy jeans, so thats out. Also, I can't seem to pull off the skin tight jeans. All they do is make me look (honestly) gay, and they make it reaaaaaaally obvious how skinny I am.

So, while I'd like the jeans to be trendy/modern/whatever, I'd also like them to flatter a skinny frame like myself.

My butt is minor.. its not flat, but its certainly barely there.

I know I sound real gay for asking this, but I'm getting kinda desperate.

Thanks!

mynudies
21st September 2007, 17:47
As tall and skinny as you are I think you should stay away from baggy and skinny jeans.

I would suggest you try something straight or bootcut. In terms of Nudie Jeans, I think you should go for Regular Ralf, Average Joe, or Bootcut Ola.

BlueOctoberFan
21st September 2007, 17:48
For one thing, you only need to have this in one thread; there's no reason to start two for the same issues. Since this one has more info, I'd recommend that moderators delete the other.

Since you're here, I'm assuming that you have some interest in raw denim. If that is the case, then try Nudies. They tend to be widely available and come in a variety of cuts ranging from the ultra-slim to a regular fit. If you check out the shopping section, there are lists of stores for various cities that carry them, or you can also just post where you live if you don't find any useful info there, and hopefully someone here can help.

As to the T-shirt issue, I have no idea, but there must be some out there that run longer and leaner. Perhaps if someone else can help on this point..?

mynudies
21st September 2007, 17:51
Also, something that I always think look nice on black guys are solid and strong colored polo/pique shirts.....would go well with your jeans.

Volteran
21st September 2007, 17:56
Get a Regular Ralf, Bootcut is good for skinny ones!

greatfire
21st September 2007, 18:13
Also, something that I always think look nice on black guys are solid and strong colored polo/pique shirts.....would go well with your jeans.
I'm looking into polos.. I'm trying to find some that are medium tall, which is surprisingly difficult.

Anyway, what do you mean by strongly colored? Navy blue, black, etc? OR lime green, purple, that kinda thing?

cameland
21st September 2007, 18:21
AA (american apparel) t shirts are long and lean, widely available.

Tiro
21st September 2007, 20:26
when it comes to nudies, I think the average joe, regular ralf, even steven and ola would suit you best, I also agree on the strong colored polo's, lime, purple,... (vibrant colors?)

BlueOctoberFan
21st September 2007, 20:30
Yes, vibrant colors, jewel tones, colors like that. They should also work really well with the darker color of the raw denim.

Tiro
21st September 2007, 20:35
white tees! (sorry for the stereotype) :mrgreen:

BlueOctoberFan
21st September 2007, 20:50
If people are dressed as nicely as he'd indicated at the new job, a normal white T might not cut it. Perhaps something heavier like a henley would be good. Actually, henleys would probably work really well, since, though long sleeved, if they're too short you can just push up the sleeves and they still look really good. I have a couple of henley shirts that I've had for about 12 years, and while the sleeves are short, they're still some of my favorite shirts.

Ghost
21st September 2007, 21:38
Where you from? If it's somewhere pretty hip or near something else, there might be some shops you can check out and you'll immediately find your style from what they offer.

mynudies
21st September 2007, 22:51
I'm looking into polos.. I'm trying to find some that are medium tall, which is surprisingly difficult.

Anyway, what do you mean by strongly colored? Navy blue, black, etc? OR lime green, purple, that kinda thing?

I meant to say as BlueOctoberFan also pointed out......vibrant colors......pink, certain shades of yellow, green and orance. Not to be confused with neon colors though. Ralph Lauren and Banana Republic makes nice polo shirts.

TeeMillz
2nd November 2007, 21:06
Are you serious? You are 21 years old and your asking people what trendy clothes you should wear...

johncubus
2nd November 2007, 21:32
As tall and skinny as you are I think you should stay away from baggy and skinny jeans.

I would suggest you try something straight or bootcut. In terms of Nudie Jeans, I think you should go for Regular Ralf, Average Joe, or Bootcut Ola.

mynudies is on point. My frame is very similar to yours. I am 6' 2" weighing 172 lbs and I'm all legs too. Skinny jeans look ridiculous on me and baggy jeans...forget about it. I wear strictly slim (not skinny) straight cut and bootcut jeans. I own a pair of RRDS and I think the fit is perfect for tall, thin frames. For straight cuts I wear Dukes and Jean Shop Rockers. I didn't alter the inseams for these so the jeans can stack to provide the illusion of shorter legs. Also, if you're concerend about your ass region, size down in your nudies, trust me, you will be happy with the results.

BlakFate
3rd November 2007, 05:50
go to american apparel for tops, you can stock up on basics, and can layer and do anything with just some basic shirts
as well i would recomend some slim jims, but wear them lower, AA makes a longer torso shirt, and if you were your pants lower you can make the illusion of shorter legs longer torso