PDA

View Full Version : Is dry denim just a fad?

tennisINjeans
7th August 2007, 04:29
In my mind there is no way i will ever let my legs be subject to a pair of pre faded jeans. however i am curious to see if people think that the dry denim concept is one that will eventually be overpowered by pre-washes. Will the denim industry eventually just be taken over by the popularity of pre-washes to the point where dry denim fades out? (no pun intented) Also, in a hundred years or so, fashion may be at a point where dry denim is totally out of the question anyway.
Just some scattered thoughts, feedback welcome.

Conifurious
7th August 2007, 04:45
The angle of this question is sort of odd. Your prose seems to suggest that pre-washed jeans are some new phenomenon which has pervaded an otherwise predominantly dry market. Using terms like "over-powered", it seems like you have this conception of dry denim having the greater appeal in the market. Quite the opposite, as dry denim is not the majority in this industry, not by a long shot. I'm going to be short, I don't feel like typing an essay today.

1. Dry denim is nothing new, at all. Nor are pre-washes, they have been around for a healthy span of time.

2. Pre-washes do in fact dominate the market. They are more practical for the average user. And the average user is not an entity usually willing to dedicate the amount of time and effort required to yield results satisfactory for their person tastes. Why else do you think you see all these kids wearing pre-ripped and paint spattered jeans?

3. Most people are more willing to pay for a pair of jeans that already feel as though they have been worn for years. The average customer would in most scenarios, find the rough raw hide of denim to be otherwise, undesirable for daily use.

4. Consider how many marketable names you can refer to in the dry denim industry. Now juxtapose that figure with those of the pre-wash industry. Do the math.

It's just a fact. Most non-denim obsessive people don't really care to spend the time dry denim requires (and deserves). What I mean to say is that this "pre-wash invasion" you seem fear is not on the horizon. It's a contemporary reality.

spacemanvt
7th August 2007, 04:46
i am about 2 months into my first dry denim experience and am not sure if the constant breaking in/stretching out, rough denim feel is something I would do again.

But then again, ask me in 4 months :)

iwannudies
7th August 2007, 05:25
What's the point of this thread? Dry jeans have been around since denim was created. Since pre-washes were invented, dry denim is still alive today ain't it?

The average customer would in most scenarios, find the rough raw hide of denim to be otherwise, undesirable for daily use.

I find my raw nudies very warm and comfy, definitely desirable for daily use :)

Conifurious
7th August 2007, 05:27

Spoken like a true denim-head. Preach on, preacha! :p

iwannudies
7th August 2007, 05:42
:) Some people may disagree with me, maybe that's cos I only have Nudies and not Japanese brands like Sugarcane etc.

bilmaga
7th August 2007, 05:59
No, I agree with you. Take it from someone who has placed their legs in alot of different types of dry denim. I actually like hard, stiff denim rather than limp, soft jeans.

I don't think I will ever lose my lust for dry denim. I have never felt so strongly about anything in my life. I have had different fads come and go throughout my life (sometimes rather quickly), but there is just something special about this that I can't really explain.

tennisINjeans
7th August 2007, 06:08
yes dry denim has been around since jeans has been invented however i doubt the original users said "i am not going to wash these for 6 months and them see them fade". the concept cant be to old and i was just seeing what people thought the future has in store for raw jeans.

My opinion is that the Japanese brands will always be there to keep these jeans going strong.

iwannudies
7th August 2007, 06:14
Yeah Bil you're right, passion for dry denim just grows on you, for some reason unknown.

Seeing that I've lost interest in buying pre-washes, I'd say I'll be there for at least 10 more years to keep dry denim going strong :p After that, if I have kids I'll get them into wearing dry too :lol:

bilmaga
7th August 2007, 06:21
yes dry denim has been around since jeans has been invented however i doubt the original users said "i am not going to wash these for 6 months and them see them fade". the concept cant be to old and i was just seeing what people thought the future has in store for raw jeans.

My opinion is that the Japanese brands will always be there to keep these jeans going strong.

But in the old days, they were used as workwear. They were worn very hard and washed very little. Plus, they wore them everyday until they fell apart.

Sounds like us, only we have to do it with a "modern world" twist.

tennisINjeans
7th August 2007, 06:25
but the reason they did such things was because they could not afford nicer/many clothes not becuase they liked how they looked

BlakFate
7th August 2007, 06:28
i feel that in a way dry denim is much more convenient when you think about it
would it not be cheaper to just dye the jeans and not have to go through the laborious process of pre distressing the jeans
if denim becomes extremely expensive to produce and sell i feel that there is a very good chance that pre distressed jeans will die out due to the amount of money needed to produce them
while dry denim will be more popular because of a cheaper price tag

possibility? i think so

indigo_junkie
7th August 2007, 06:32
This subject has been talked about many times over.

I think that for the mainstream, dry denim is a fad that comes and goes. Every 10 years or so, raw/dry/dark denim becomes the flavour of the season and then disappears. Pre-washes will never go out of fashion, but then neither will raw denim, favoured by those who are environmentally conscious (impact of wash water been dumped into the rivers), the price conscious (a pair of plain raw projectile loom denim jeans can be like $10 compared to washed fashion jeans that can run $30-50) and then there are the denim geeks like most of the ones who hang here who will shell out $200+ for a pair of drys. But we're the minority.

bilmaga
7th August 2007, 06:39
but the reason they did such things was because they could not afford nicer/many clothes not becuase they liked how they looked

I know, but we are just mimicking it more or less.

tennisINjeans
7th August 2007, 06:40
I know, but we are just mimicking it more or less.

that is true

BlueOctoberFan
7th August 2007, 06:41
I think that the "6 month" concept is likely Nudie's doing. No one did that at the inception of jeans because they were just worn much harder than anyone today would ever really do. It wasn't necessary because of how hard the jeans were worn.

As to fashion, there has always been raw denim, because that's how it all started. The big changes occured when companies like Levi's switched over to projectile looms and fundamentally changed the nature of the clothing. Pre-washing has been around for a long time as well, just the amount changes with time. Right now things are shifting more to the darker denim, so we're all excited about it and people are buying more raw denim. Before too long, it'll switch over to being more heavily pre-washed and pre-faded, and interest will dwindle. Interest in raw jeans will always be there, and now, thanks to the internet, more people will be aware of it and get into it, so I don't see it ever dying out.

burwell
18th August 2007, 06:19
What's the point of this thread? Dry jeans have been around since denim was created. Since pre-washes were invented, dry denim is still alive today ain't it?

yeah i like the feeling of hard denim. i dont like jeans that are soft. itts so much fun, plus when you break in that hard denim, nothign feels better on your skin

ninjapie
18th August 2007, 06:35
Mainstream dry-denim is probably just a fad i.e. jack&jones, H&M dry denim and similar brands. Nudie dry denim probably too, though, their pre-washes will probably continue to be really popular.

bilmaga
18th August 2007, 06:38
I think nudie will always make dry jeans.

Even though they don't live true to all their words, their name is still related to the dry denim lifestyle.

ninjapie
18th August 2007, 06:56
Yes. I didn't mean they'll stop making them, considering there will probably always be a - small - fanbase.
Though, I think, most Nudie fans will eventually make the leap to Japanese denim because in comparison Nudies often aren't that great.
I mainly meant that the mainstream will probably just stop buying dry denim. I've heard from the people around me whom wear dry Nudies that they often find it to be quite bothersome to not wash their jeans in such a long time in order to get good results. Also, the mainstream fashionistas can't be bothered with wearing the same pair of jeans for more than 2 consecutive days. They gotta keep their rep up, you dig? ;)

bilmaga
18th August 2007, 07:00
I dig ;-)

KillBill
18th August 2007, 07:21
Well you know, it's pretty easy to say dry will never stop, and it prob won't, but what would the reaction be of most of us a year ago if someone said BB will be discontinued???

I know, that's the choice nudie made for that cut, among others btw, but it was unexpected right? the desicion for dry jeans to stop has to come fom maybey like 50 brands(just a guess). so it's most unlikely.

but it still is something that could happen, people are getting more and more lazy the only thing that seems to matter is work work work and not spending so much time doing other things(like breaking in jeans...). evertything people need has to be right here on the spot: ordering a new tv? oh that can be done online! some guy takes it over to your place and installs it for you!!! and there are many example's

no, dry denim will never go away or be out of style, cuz it's a way of living and there prob allways be a small number of brands(not nesceserely nudie)that lives with that same idea and make great stuf for freaks like us!!
but it's quit possible that in the future brands that make dry's will be real small, i'm affraid.

PeterFrampton
18th August 2007, 07:41
Dry is fashionable right now. When the next big thing comes out it will be back to the way it was, with only a few good reputable brands making and selling dry jeans.

iwannudies
18th August 2007, 07:45
Though, I think, most Nudie fans will eventually make the leap to Japanese denim because in comparison Nudies often aren't that great....

Well I'm not one of them. Pretty happy with what I'm getting with Nudie now :-P Great cuts, availability to try out before buying so I don't get screwed over by size and fit, and they have a variety of dry so it doesn't get boring: Dry, Dry Black, Dry Green/Greycast, Dry Black Coated, Dry Indigo Coated (you get what I mean). Only other brand I'll get would be Imperials, cos I love the fit of Dukes :-D

Dry is fashionable right now. When the next big thing comes out it will be back to the way it was, with only a few good reputable brands making and selling dry jeans.

Not neccesarily dry, more like dark denim with sheen.

ninjapie
18th August 2007, 07:46
I predict the next big thing will be the wide jeans -- for women.

http://store.uniqlo.com/Items/w52120/image/w52120.jpg

Kate Moss wears them, nuff said.

Routy
18th August 2007, 09:52
you know how the slim, tight fitted type cuts are in mainstream fashion around this time. well what do you think will be the next fad of cuts to come through?

BlueOctoberFan
18th August 2007, 15:40
Well, the only way for it to go at this point is back to wider legs. I'd say that nudie has taken tight jeans as far as it can go, so the only direction is back the other way. Also, just as the dark look has been in, over the next couple of years a lighter washed look will likely work its way back. Not like acid wash, but just a more distressed and worn look. My thoughts are that over the next couple of years, if you're wearing looser jeans right now, they'll be at the height of fashion in their prime.

Jakob
18th August 2007, 15:43
you know how the slim, tight fitted type cuts are in mainstream fashion around this time. well what do you think will be the next fad of cuts to come through?

Flare jeans. I think Nudie will re-release Flare Glenn, or something similar

cardcastleruins
18th August 2007, 17:23
No, I agree with you. Take it from someone who has placed their legs in alot of different types of dry denim. I actually like hard, stiff denim rather than limp, soft jeans.

I don't think I will ever lose my lust for dry denim. I have never felt so strongly about anything in my life. I have had different fads come and go throughout my life (sometimes rather quickly), but there is just something special about this that I can't really explain.

Then I assume your SSK's and finns are for collection only cause those jeans feel like shit.

Lukeitfc
18th August 2007, 17:30

The special thing for me, is that I actually have an excuse for not washing my jeans, rather than just being a scrubber.

cameland
19th August 2007, 03:43
I used to think just like you guys, my opinion has changed lately though.

Seems like I'm the only one into prewashed jeans these days. :confused:

iwannudies
19th August 2007, 03:49
I used to think just like you guys, my opinion has changed lately though.

Seems like I'm the only one into prewashed jeans these days. :confused:

I'm still wearing prewashes. Thats only because I have 7-8 pairs compared to 2 dry :oops:

iwannudies
19th August 2007, 04:50
Not worth much to sell mine, Calvin Klein Jeans and Lee pre-washes will prob sell for peanuts.

ninjapie
19th August 2007, 04:58
I kinda like Lee's. Dunno about the pre-washes, though.

cameland
19th August 2007, 05:00
I don't like most prewashes but I think when done right they can look really good. Edwin make fantastic prewashes, so does Denime and Warehouse. Pre-washes look good when you wear them I reckon, not so much layed flat on the ground though. Also LVC and LEE make some historic pre-washes which are cool as well and totally worth wearing.

cameland
19th August 2007, 05:01
Tsubi make some excellent washes as well I might add, Oh and lets not forget Dior. The orange overdye one is great.

iwannudies
19th August 2007, 05:08
Nudie's SJ used black and Tsubi's used grey are very popular and nice pre-washes.

loste
19th August 2007, 05:09
i have a Lee pre wash that looks really good, looks like it has got natural wear. Not any of that ridicilous fading many pre washed jeans have.

The Danne Replica from Nudie is also good, if i remember the name right. I think that was what it was called.

And dry denim is not a fad/popular here anyways. There is more of it than before in stores but pre washed jeans are what most people wear. Just speaking for the town i live in, not all of Norway. And i live in a small town too, only 60 000 who live here....

Conifurious
19th August 2007, 09:35
It's so freshing to see individuals in the dry denim community who can appreciate a good pre-wash now and then when they see one, and/or wear it. I absolutely love the feel, concept and look of dry denim, as well as the resulting transformation. That said, I have no intention of letting go of my pre-washes nor do I intend to no longer buy them. I like a well rounded collection. Some fun pieces, some projects, and some practicality.

Cameland, I am sort of surprised by your stance too. Pleasantly surprised though! It's refreshing. With all the diehard dry denim pre-wash haters out there, it is nice to hear someone as informed as yourself see the good in a pre-wash now and then. :mrgreen:

And though a few of my pre-washes may happen to fall under stigma tainted labels in these parts, but I love them *almost* as much as my olas. And you guys know how I feel about them. ;-)

cameland
19th August 2007, 10:44
lol Why is everyone so shocked, I think people forget that I'm still quite young (19) so my values could be slightly different to most "die hard" denimheads.

It's so easy to say that you'll only wear drys whilst your breaking in your first couple pairs. If they all turn out like ass you may ask yourself again if you want this to last your whole life. Furthermore, I don't find it to be a very cheap hobby either! :lol:

I love the look of a nice pre-wash, really stands out so long as its done well and the cut is good. A pre-wash can sometimes fit better than dry denim too, since you only wear it while your out it may not stretch/warp as much. Prewashed jeans can make your figure look a little better as well, since we all know strong lap fades make your thighs appear thinner.

Well anyway, like coni, I prefer a nice mix of both. But the fact of it is that im stuck on dry denim right now so thats where my focus is.

Heres a pre-wash which caught my eye recently, nothing wrong with wearing this.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/2702/54835584la7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ninjapie
19th August 2007, 10:57
I don't like how the lower legs are still really dark compared to the upper legs. :0

cameland
19th August 2007, 10:59
:cry:

nt54
19th August 2007, 11:14
I don't like how the lower legs are still really dark compared to the upper legs. :0

But sometimes that's how jeans naturally fade.

I think that's a great looking prewash.

bilmagio
19th August 2007, 12:36
Obviously, we all know that there's only one long-term solution:

Grab a partner of the opposite sex, make babies and raise them up to be highly arrogant, sufu-ish and selfrighteous raw-denim war-machines. Denimhead Proliferation!

iwannudies
19th August 2007, 12:58

I like that wash. I'm hoping my AJDH will have whiskers like that.

Conifurious
19th August 2007, 16:17
My olas seem to be going in the same direction as that pre-wash Cameland. I personally love the high contrast. It's getting difficult to resist the temptation of a "premature" wash these days. Four more months still.... :(

KillBill
19th August 2007, 18:03
most nudie prewa's i don't like, my first nudie was a RRUsedDeluxe and that one i still love:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q42/mvmnt/CIMG0440.jpg

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q42/mvmnt/CIMG0441.jpg

it's great to discover new perspective's, were no narrow minded people and that's great, i must admit that it's a while that i had them on but that's got something to do with time: like someone said so little time and so much work to do hehe

iwannudies
19th August 2007, 18:06
Do the honeycombs line up exactly behind your knee?? They look very nice. TF Oscar Dark is also another nice Nudie pre-wash.

KillBill
19th August 2007, 18:08
yeah, it looks like natural fading. that's what i like bout it. it was a rather expensive prewa too.

501lover
19th August 2007, 19:05
Love that pre-wash also! What is it? Brand? Exact marketing-name of the wash?

Thanks for an info!

Regarding the general topic of this thread, I obviously love dry denim, but would find it too complicated/cumbersome to insist exclusively on it. So I wear pre-washes as well. Some of my most favourite pairs are second-hand purchases of formerly raw denim, where someone else has done all the dirty work. And yes, I know, I know, that does not really count and is by no means equal to a properly worn-in by yours truly pair, but I love hard-worn (incl. ripped and torn) denim far too much to merely rely on myself.

cameland
19th August 2007, 22:58
Its a denime prewash, I probably should have shown an edwin one as well since those are relatively cheap. These are selvage though I would assume.

http://store.yahoo.co.jp/denime/7000-8357-.html

Tiro
19th August 2007, 23:04
actually I also like those pre-wash XX type, offcourse they are selvedge, just like the normal XX type...

cameland
19th August 2007, 23:06
Yeah good to know, I was just unsure since denime seem to make a fair few non selvage jeans also.

Tiro
19th August 2007, 23:15
yeah but they don't make the XX type in non-selvedge as far as I know...
I could be wrong tho...

craiggg
20th August 2007, 20:40
hmmm... the concept of dry denim now seems to be wear it long and break it in for your own body..

pre washed are for anybody.. people who buy into brands, the people who will pay 5 for a pair of blue jeans from a supermarket even though they look like ass because they just want clothing, people who don't know any better and don't know dry denim exists.. i don't even know how i found out about it...

i remember being in harvey nichols, and a guy bought some diesel jeans (pre washed) and the guy serving said, try not to wash them for a few months because they take your body shape... then the research begun.. and then i got nudies.. and am in love, i liked them even before they have faded though, i love the dark look of them...

will dry denim go out.. no.. i don't even know if its a fashion. how long has it been in fashion??? i don't know what jean trends are to be honest..

spacemanvt
13th September 2007, 01:51
I just bought some grey distressed 001s from Uniqlo. I figured they are pretty good japanese denim and getting Raw blacks into a cool grey fade would take forever (literally years) and I cant wait that long. :)

they are only 50 bucks anyways., makes sense to me.

corndogg
13th September 2007, 02:31
But in the old days, they were used as workwear. They were worn very hard and washed very little. Plus, they wore them everyday until they fell apart.

Sounds like us, only we have to do it with a "modern world" twist.

yeah, like paying $$$$ :evil:

bilmaga
13th September 2007, 02:34
yeah, like paying $$$$ :evil:

True, but back in the day, they could only really afford one pair, which is why they turn out so beautiful.

The costs are all relative.

bilmaga
13th September 2007, 14:43
So in theory, jeans were more expensive back then.

Or, we just have more disposable income nowadays.

craiggg
17th September 2007, 23:23
Wow interesting way to get introduced to dry denim. Arent you glad you found it?

yes.. very much

funny that it all started off in january with a search of "not washing jeans" into google.

computurd
13th August 2009, 03:36
To be honest I dont see whats the big deal, usually pre-distressed jeans just look ridiculous with honeycombs at the ankles etc. Just put on a pair of dry jeans and wear them how you like, you dont need to follow all those bullcrap 'bothersome' rules such as 'no wash for 6 months' and all those other things done to baby the jeans.

Why do peope even want the extreme faded look anyways if it doesnt even come along with their lifestyle?

Magicalpoop
13th August 2009, 22:47
I got into raw denim because Diesel began to get invaded by guido's and etc ( This is like 2002-2004) in my area . I was fine with that, I still have a fav pair of Diesels that are just torn and faded out (yeah even though its a prewash haha) - but then it went from 190$CAD (That was like 140$USD back then...) to 240$CAD (200USD) to right now... 300$USD? Likewise with True Religion. I remember I could get them for 199$USD here , they're well over 400$SD a pair now.

So yeah, I just cop'd a pair of ESOD's at cultizm for 115$USD. Better quality, more wear time, and I love the break in process/fading/evolution. I'll pass on 400$USD here for a pair of True Religions anytime. Plus I hate really flamboyant bootcuts. Which the majority of all the TR jeans here are in.

rungo
13th August 2009, 23:24
Theres something about the comfort of breaking in your own denim though, after fully breaking in, its soft in all the right places for you. It just ends up being more comfortable than any pre-wash could be.

IIIrd Icon
14th August 2009, 00:52
for the life of me, i can not even begin to explain [to myself], much less a denim philistine the strange penchant for raw and the unwavering single-minded pursuit of the grail.

to most, "dry" is just passing a fad... to a few, a lifetime affliction.

Just put on a pair of dry jeans and wear them how you like, you dont need to follow all those bullcrap 'bothersome' rules such as 'no wash for 6 months' and all those other things done to baby the jeans.
big boys need "grown-up" toys.

Why do peope even want the extreme faded look anyways if it doesnt even come along with their lifestyle?
"grown-up" toys were meant for competition.

computurd
14th August 2009, 05:23
lol I was talking about people who arent patient enough to get their own fades

Why do they want fades if they arent up for the 'dedication'

As Dr Kelso puts it "....nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy."

Plus dark jeans dont look bad at all

ackeiyword
13th November 2010, 09:54
I think that if it can make you outstanding then everything can be a fad.

DoitsuJin
13th November 2010, 13:37
I think that a recent fad here on mynudies is digging up year old threads

Cold Summer
18th November 2010, 05:06
For pretty much my whole life I've thought that light blue faded jeans looked cheap, and dark jeans without the stitch checkering looked high-class and sophisticated. I like the way my dry jeans look brand new, and they just get even better. Since I absolutely despise the checkering effect on the seams that results from tons and tons of washes, the very few washes involved in dry jeans means that they stay the way I like them to look even if crazy fades never develop for some reason.