PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes a "good fit" for jeans?

whatyouknowaboutthat
16th July 2007, 09:22
I am really curious and have several questions for you all. As you all have probably noticed already, I'm very new to this fashion/style game (though, I must say I thought I had some sense of style...). The biggest question I have for everyone and anyone is what makes up a "good fit". Not just jeans but for shirts, pants, shoes etc. In my opinion, a "good fit" comes with using good proportions and not wearing things that are too tight/small and too baggy/loose. But from seeing pictures and "WYWTD" threads, I might have gotten this wrong. Like say for nudie jeans, if I wear the RRDS with the waist of the jeans sitting on my waist (where its designed to be as opposed to wearing it baggy on my hip bones) and the bottom of the jeans barely touching the ground be considered a "good fit"? Also, how does style and fit work for people of difference heights/weights/body shapes? I know some members have already told me that cuffing my jeans doesn't work since I am 5'4..

Now I may be asking for TOO much, but pictures for examples and illustrations would be nice.
Thoughts?

indigo_junkie
16th July 2007, 09:44
I think it's different for everyone. I personally like wearing jeans up on the waist. Regular straight cut and not too tight/loose. People may like to wear their jeans lower on the hips. Also what one person thinks is a good fit may not be what another person thinks is a good fit. Really, the only person that should be a true judge of what a "good fit" is, is yourself, since it'll be you that wears the jeans. No point in everyone saying it's a good fit, when you don't like the way it looks on you yourself.

If you notice most of the pics I've put up since I've joined, most of my jeans fit similar, because that's the type of fit I'm looking for when I purchase jeans. Of course I don't want them to all fit the same way. Might as well have bought 14 pairs of the same jean then.

loste
16th July 2007, 09:58
there is no right answer to this. It is all up to each person what a good fit is.
Some like it baggy, some skintight, some tapered and slim, some like a flare , some like a straight pair of jeans, some like em low and some like em high.. So there is no answer that fits everyone.
All about personal taste. What i think is a good fit is my RRDS, that is my favourite fit. I love a little bootcut on my jeans and i dont like them skintight on me, a little loose but not baggy. So i like my ola and RRDS. And someone else would probably disagree and say different since they dont think that is a good fit.

Get my point?

nt54
16th July 2007, 10:54
Have you ever considered asking yourself what YOU like in terms of a fit? It's entirely a personal thing. Don't base your decisions on what others say and what you see others doing unless you have no mind of your own (in which case you might have bigger problems than finding a good fit for your jeans).

ihayano
16th July 2007, 11:05
my personal preference is for regular to slightly loose fits with straight legs or maybe a slight taper at the leg opening. i think finding a good fit is pretty subjective however there are somethings that are universal. for instance, you obviously want something that will flatter your body ie. skinny jeans can look good on skinny people not everyone can wear them and you also obviously don't want your jeans to drag on the ground or jeans over sized in the waist so much that they fall off of your ass.. etc.. thats just my two cents.

theLorax
19th July 2007, 08:50
general rule of thumb is that if you're husky, then relaxed fit works well. athletic and average look best in straight leg, and thin, lanky people look good in slim jeans.

also if you're short wearing slim fit jeans can make you look taller.

i like them fitted. my sized down regular ralf, kmw rocker. in between a regular fit and slim. but something like a slim jim or dior 19cm doesn't look good on me.

Conifurious
19th July 2007, 09:14
Good fit = http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5037/2796568660100445688s425le6.jpg

;)

loste
19th July 2007, 10:13
What constitutes a good fit for jeans is in the eye of the beholder.

Now that sounded good;) ,but its true.

Sarge
19th July 2007, 18:15
::Sigh::

Good fit = You feel comfortable wearing them.

Bad fit = You don't feel comfortable wearing them.

Whether that be size related or look related.

Gregory
19th July 2007, 18:33
poooiinnnttllleessss

Conifurious
19th July 2007, 19:55
Myyyy prrrreeeeeccciiiooouuussss.

cameland
19th July 2007, 22:11
::Sigh::

Good fit = You feel comfortable wearing them.

Bad fit = You don't feel comfortable wearing them.

Whether that be size related or look related.

Listen to Sarge!

Nudzorz
19th July 2007, 22:27
I hate this thread..

SonOfSteez
19th July 2007, 22:56
For me?

the jeans sit on the hips
no hip flare
solid honeycomb formation thanks to stiff, dry denim
stacking around the ankles, thanks to a longer inseam
a small hem opening, so that your jeans don't cover your trainers

I am in love with the Dior 19cm fit, so far my APC New Standards do a decent job of emulating this look

501lover
20th July 2007, 22:34
While I understand that so many people find this thread annoying or post the obvious, namely that this is highly subjective, I still like to add my very personal view: good fitting jeans are those that fit very tight and still are comfortable.

Jakob
28th July 2007, 18:20
Each to his own but for me a good fit is a fit that LOOKS comfortable. EVen if it's a high kai, it can still look comfortable as long you don't walk around like your weiner is going to fall of. And you dont go and pull them up all the time because theyre too big. That's a good fit imo.

snow plowman
29th July 2007, 11:43
Yea everyone has there perference according to there style...

...but in the more main stream fashion fit is basically you're true to size, snug fit. For instance your shirt doesn't have to hug you like a muscle fit but it is a bit looser and not all loose which would then make it look sloppier.

As for jeans it's basically how they sit down when they are on you. At the bottom of the jeans it basically breaks over your shoes creating the overall fit. Different cuts make the overall fit look different. This is why if you get jeans that are too short they don't even break and if it's too long it will break too much making the jeans look sloppy. Some people stack though which is totally fine.

To get an idea just look at the true religion website, notice how the model is posing that way you can see the actual break in the jeans.