PDA

View Full Version : Perfect selvage collection

DCNudiethug
5th July 2007, 02:37
Hey guys, I am trying to put together the perfect selvage collection. So far I have RRDS, imperial dukes in black and soon to have imperial indigo dukes. I am selling all of my non selvage jeans to put this collection together.

If you could put together an all-star list of selvage jeans, what would it include? What are the most coveted selvage jeans other than RRDS (and all other nudies) and Imperial Dukes/kings? Please specify brand and exact model. Thanks.

bilmaga
5th July 2007, 02:42
You better have alot of money. ;)

Tiro
5th July 2007, 02:46
Hey guys, I am trying to put together the perfect selvage collection. So far I have RRDS, imperial dukes in black and soon to have imperial indigo dukes. I am selling all of my non selvage jeans to put this collection together.

If you could put together an all-star list of selvage jeans, what would it include? What are the most coveted selvage jeans other than RRDS (and all other nudies) and Imperial Dukes/kings? Please specify brand and exact model. Thanks.

selvedge doesn't mean anything about quality, so don't get high on selvedge just yet buddy, there are alot of other important factors that influence the quality of a pair of jeans...

want a good collection, start with some Denime, Samurai, Sugarcane, Warehouse, Oni, Flat Head, SDA, Fullcount, 45RPM, Skulls, Eternal, limited edition Pace, Atelier la Durance, KMW and then add some vintage Levi's and Lee's and you're off to a descent start, be prepared to become poor tho...

johncubus
5th July 2007, 02:46
My perfect collection would consist of:
Nudies
Skulls
Imperials
Canes
DJ
Pace
ALD
(APC and Levis just because)

cameland
5th July 2007, 02:56
Why do I get the feeling that this guy is not really a jean fanatic at all :???: . A REAL mans denim collection would consist of only LVC ;)

Oh and Lee and Blue Bell too!

DCNudiethug
5th July 2007, 02:58
thanks for the replies guys! Forgot to mention that I wanted all raw/dry denim.

Bil - Money is no object as this moment; sure that will change with more purchases

Tiro - Didnt know that selvage doesnt = quality but I do love raw selvage most of all.

Johncubus- What Skulls, Canes, Pace, or ALD raw denim fit is comparable to Dukes or RRDS?

Thanks again guys!

Tiro
5th July 2007, 03:09
Why do I get the feeling that this guy is not really a jean fanatic at all :???: . A REAL mans denim collection would consist of only LVC ;)

Oh and Lee and Blue Bell too!

Dom are you serious? ;)

furthermore, DCNudiethug, we are only mentioning Dry/raw denim as that is all we are interested in also and believe me money will be a problem...

cameland
5th July 2007, 03:09
If money is no object your best bet would be to start trying to buy those nevada jeans back off levi's.

In all seriousness though, I'd really like to know the reason why you are making this collection? Would probably help with what would be included in it.

Tiro
5th July 2007, 03:11
I'm guessing he wants to be like Billy :p

also, it seems he's looking for only RR like fits...

cameland
5th July 2007, 03:12
Dom are you serious? ;)

Yeah I'm serious :cool:

cameland
5th July 2007, 03:13
I'm guessing he wants to be like Billy :p

also, it seems he's looking for only RR like fits...

:p Thats just impossible, no one could ever be like billy. Thats like saying this Thug guy wants to be the new jesus.

Tiro
5th July 2007, 03:18
well it's impossible to be like billy, but it's not impossible to want to be like him... ;)

so a real man wouldn't have sami's or denime or oni or...? ;)

I think this Thug guy is in over his head without even knowing it yet

cameland
5th July 2007, 03:30
lol Tiro I wasn't that serious when I said every real man should have only lvc. I just wanted him to learn a little bit about the actual jeans these repros are based on before diving head first into Japanese brands. You can always appreciate something more when you know where it stems from; or else why would you care about chain stitching, hidden rivets, cinch backs and selvage at all in the first place? - they all have their own place in "denim history" if you know what I mean.

Conifurious
5th July 2007, 03:31
Lol, you guys are rough. :p

I must say though, I never really understood much of the hype which surrounds selvage. I understand that it is supposed to be a testament to the quality of the garmet, but is there honestly that much of a difference? Particularly when the best way of displaying rest largely on the inseam. I'm missing something, I just don't know what it is.

*shrug* I've had my eyes on some RADS (if not RADG), so I'll find out soon enough.

DCNudiethug
5th July 2007, 03:34
Ok its like this. Say you like pre-wash jeans and you'd like to find the most coveted pre-wash jeans or even the most coveted Lee jeans. I am just looking for the most coveted raw selvage jeans cause....thats what I want.

I didnt say I wanted the "best quality jeans", just the most coveted "raw selvage". I have some of the brands that you listed in prewash but would like to only own raw selvage now.It used to be prewash. Then it was japanese denim. Now its selvage. I guess its just what I want. (Aint being your own person hard sometimes!?)

Not sure who Billy is but I am not trying to be like anyone except myself? Just a guy that is looking for help on getting my next pair of jeans. BTW, just cause I have only posted here a few times doesnt mean that I am completely new to denim, just means I havent posted here.

I could have 2000 + posts also if I wanted...but what good is that if they arent relevant/helpful.

I have been on this site for months and like someone said recently, this site is fast becoming like that other unhelpful site.

cameland
5th July 2007, 03:36
Lol, you guys are rough. :p

I must say though, I never really understood much of the hype which surrounds selvage. I understand that it is supposed to be a testament to the quality of the garmet, but is there honestly that much of a difference? Particularly when the best way of displaying lay purely on the inseam.

*shrug* I've had my eyes on some RADS (if not RADG), so I'll find out soon enough.

I've said it once before but there is no actual quality difference between an overlock finish and a self edge finish. The modern overlock is quite reliable and strong. The only reason they even had the selvage in the first place was because that was the most economical way of cutting the fabric since shuttle(selvage) looms only produced denim 29" wide apposed to the 60" or wider standards of modern projectile looms.

So the selvage means nothing but its the other aspects that are usually associated with selvage denim that are more important - such as the rope dying, ringxring denim and so forth.

But then there are many modern techniques used in denim that are technically just as good, its more of just a "thats how they used to do it, so we'll do it that way too" thing. Just like hidden rivets, chainstitching, donut buttons etc etc.

DCNudiethug
5th July 2007, 03:53
Ok its like this. Say you like pre-wash jeans and you'd like to find the most coveted pre-wash jeans or even the most coveted Lee jeans. I am just looking for the most coveted raw selvage jeans cause....thats what I want.

I didnt say I wanted the "best quality jeans", just the most coveted "raw selvage". I have some of the brands that you listed in prewash but would like to only own raw selvage now.It used to be prewash. Then it was japanese denim. Now its selvage. I guess its just what I want. (Aint being your own person hard sometimes!?)

Not sure who Billy is but I am not trying to be like anyone except myself? Just a guy that is looking for help on getting my next pair of jeans. BTW, just cause I have only posted here a few times doesnt mean that I am completely new to denim, just means I havent posted here.

I could have 2000 + posts also if I wanted...but what good is that if they arent relevant/helpful.

I have been on this site for months and like someone said recently, this site is fast becoming like that other unhelpful site.

cameland
5th July 2007, 03:55

Im sorry, but if you had 2000+ posts and didn't know that selvage wasn't always necessarily better than non-selvage denim, then you don't really deserve those 2000 posts. Well that just may be the way I feel considering this is a site dedicated to dry denim.

Just a guy that is looking for help on getting my next pair of jeans.

If you were really looking for us to help you pick out your next pair then you shouldn't have gone about it the way you did naming the thread "perfect denim collection" surely you must have known that this would be completely different for each person. Next time I think you should name your thread "which selvage pair should I get next?" and stipulate that you are after a "most coveted" collection. In the end, the point is, you should get jeans that you like, not what other people think is the best or most sought after, sure, take their recommendations into account but don't just buy jeans because other people like or want them.

Conifurious
5th July 2007, 04:19
Well said cameland.

I have a question for you though. Where do you pick up all this denim knowledge? I am still pretty early in the game, and as such, have yet to find any worthwhile articles, and the last place I want to turn to is a fashion magazine or disreputable online encyclopedia, both of which aren't exactly providing a wealth of knowledge. What's your source?

cameland
5th July 2007, 04:37
Thanks Conifurious, means a lot from a word smith such as yourself lol.

To be honest, I really don't know where I gathered all the information from. In the beginning I only read on here and thought the information provided here was pretty good. I remember Bilmaga helping me pick my RRDS size. I think overall I learnt a lot from reading blogs about denim and superdenim.

Horriblyjollyjinx blog is good even though some people rag on him on superfuture. the guy just knows his shit. http://repeattofade.blogspot.com/

Next is Trinkets blog from superfuture, has alot of nice macro pictures and a pretty good collection. Hes been in the denim scene for a loooong time it seems as well. Hes also been to Japan to check out whats happening over there which I guess puts him in a better position to judge good from bad, either way its a very informative blog. www.indigofan.com

I have read almost all the the superdenim encyclopedia many times over, Its a useful resource to get the lingo stuck in my head. But when I first started on superdenim - it was nothing like it is now. Back then it was more about discovering and helping eachother learn more about denim so most of the threads are the ones you see in the encyclopedia. Most of the topics now are just about sizing and superdenim has become real boring lately.

I also read the glossary here on mynudies, quite comprehensive. Look on european denim sites as well, they usually have cool articles about indigo or denim. So ALD website, APC and of course the nudie website. The most resoruceful is probably the evisu blog/website. Some of it is slightly exaggerated though (they don't dip their jeans 16 times, and if they do they are wasting their time :P)

Other then that there are books, which I have heard are the best source of information really, Paul T's book is on amazon and there are a couple others, they are all on trinkets blog (indigofan) if your looking to read them. I havent read them yet so I can't really say much about that.

I never had a set mission to go and read all these things at once though, I was just kinda really interested in it and kept on reading and reading and reading until I reached the point i am now. It was my genuine interest that spurred me to read these things, not just so I can parade my knowledge around. I do my best to help out here as much as I can.

DCNudiethug
5th July 2007, 04:40

Im sorry, but if you had 2000+ posts and didn't know that selvage wasn't always necessarily better than non-selvage denim, then you don't really deserve those 2000 posts. Well that just may be the way I feel considering this is a site dedicated to dry denim.

Just a guy that is looking for help on getting my next pair of jeans.

If you were really looking for us to help you pick out your next pair then you shouldn't have gone about it the way you did naming the thread "perfect denim collection" surely you must have known that this would be completely different for each person. Next time I think you should name your thread "which selvage pair should I get next?" and stipulate that you are after a "most coveted" collection. In the end, the point is, you should get jeans that you like, not what other people think is the best or most sought after, sure, take their recommendations into account but don't just buy jeans because other people like or want them.

See, now that was helpful/relevant. Thanks Cameland! ( BTW, you have been one the posters that I have really admired and respected over the months for your in depth knowledge on this subject. )

I concur;I should've named the post "which selvage pair should I get next?" Sorry for the mixup.

I am only a mere collector, so like a collector of fine automobiles with money to blow, I am merely looking for a next pair of selvage in my "selvage collection" to go into a glass case for selvage which if not worned, just admired, like one does fine art. Not looking for the most expensive pieces of art like $501 501's repro which are butter soft and come with a book and tags with the complete history, just some that are "most coveted" (for lack of better terms) for the typical denim lover. I wont even think about wearing them for years but just knowing they are there is nice to know.

I respect everyone's opinion on a subject that I am not an expert on and truly apologize for getting off to this type of start. I expect your opinions will continue to be weighed heavier than most.

BTW, the "Thug guy" is really far from that, I am actually a technology geek for a top software company. Its just an inside joke that we "nerds" have.

cameland
5th July 2007, 04:40
Ah BiG's site is actually really good too.

http://blueingreensoho.com/

There are also many Japanese blogs but sometimes google translator is your only way of getting info out of them.

nt54
5th July 2007, 04:41
There's a word for this in the sneaker world: hypebeast.

Remember, if selvage doesn't always = quality, then it also goes to say that selvage also doesn't always = "most coveted".

Conifurious
5th July 2007, 04:45
Thanks Conifurious, means a lot from a word smith such as yourself lol.

Aw shucks. Thanks. Though if you can't tell, I have been trying to regulate the word smithing to a minimum. Makes everyone happy, which in turn, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. :D

And thanks for all those links and the exceptionally informative post! Believe it or not, I never even looked at the mynudies encyclopedia before. Can't even begin to imagine why...

cameland
5th July 2007, 04:51
NudieThug there are no hard feelings, I'm not really a jerk, i just kinda got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

There is a ultimate grail type thread here somewhere, maybe look there. For an upcoming favourite though I would say....

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/2nd/cabinet/sj-411-01-pt-r/sj-s510xxai-n-02.jpg

Dear John

S510XXAI-N is made of the denim with Natural Indigo 100%.
"N "means "NOBUNAGA ODA, he is a Japanese historical famous “SAMURAI "

*S510XXAI-N was dyed with natural indigo 100% with the way of rope
dyed.

In case of "KASE ZOME", the thread is dyed at all, into the center.
If you want to get the dark color by KASE ZOME,
the thread should be dyed by around 24times with natural indigo by hand,
it will get dark color, but,it costs incredible high.

In American way, "rope dyed" is not dyed into the center, you know.
Natural Indigo 100% is full of impure things. Because of the impure
things, it is said that it is impossible to be dyed with natural indigo
by rope dyed, and even if you did, it will not get dark color.

We removed the impure things from natural indigo, and get only density parts of
natural indigo. So, we succeeded to make rope dyed denim of dark color
with natural indigo.

S510XXAI-N is dyed with Natural Indigo 100% by rope dyed.
It is so big challenge and frontier (?)

It has been said that it is hard to get a dark color denim with
natural indigo and that it fades(discolor) slowly.
But, this denim, S510XXAI-N should be dark color and good discolor!!
It will be excellent.

Unfortunately, I will not get pre-order for jeans now.
So, Could you ask the Blue in Green or other shop?

Thank you
Sincerely yours.
Toshiko

johncubus
5th July 2007, 04:53
Considering the direction this thread has gone, it has been quite educational for me. Thanks dudes.

cameland
5th July 2007, 05:04
Well remember your never too young for this, I think even I had started reading mynudies when I was 17 and within 6 months I had learned a lot. I spend way too much time lurking though.

DCNudiethug
5th July 2007, 05:25
There's a word for this in the sneaker world: hypebeast.

Remember, if selvage doesn't always = quality, then it also goes to say that selvage also doesn't always = "most coveted".

Hypebeast?

As stated in #22, I am merely a collector and admirer without wearing (So far I own RRDS and imp dukes blk both are brand new and will never be worn.) Hypebeasts are all about trends. I collect Louis Vuitton, Hermes, art, stamps, coins, jewelry etc...these are not trendy items but timeless like RRDS and Imps.

When you are fortunate enough to just collect, its a different type of admiration you have for the product.

Cameland - Where could one acquire the jeans you posted? I have checked a few sites but nothing. Thanks in advance.

cameland
5th July 2007, 05:33
Send this link

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/2nd/sj-s510xxai-n/

To this guy

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php?t=21867

done!

Although I'm not entirely sure if they are out yet, I think they are coming out soon and you will need to pre-order. Either way your proxy will take care of that.

bilmaga
5th July 2007, 05:39
I really enjoyed reading this thread.

BTW DCNudiethug, I am "Billy" ;)

If you lurk here long enough, Cameland will fill your head with enough knowledge to make your head hurt. He knows his shit.

Conifurious
5th July 2007, 05:41
When you are fortunate enough to just collect, its a different type of admiration you have for the product.

Meaning one predominantly defined on grounds of aesthetic? Eh, I understand the nature, the purpose almost, of the collector. Yet there is something about the idea behind the collection of denim for the sole sake of...well, clinging onto it and gazing admiringly from a distance that just seems, from a personal perspective, to defy the purpose and history of the material and design itself. I have always seen the wearing of a fine pair of jeans to be a part of that glorification as something of a work of art. Very comfortable art mind you. ;)

But then again, you can't really say that such collection is not comparable to that of cars you will never drive, jewelry you may never wear, bottle caps you will never need, salt shakers never to be filled, whatever it might be. Though I can't say I agree with it, I understand the logic.

cameland
5th July 2007, 05:56
Aw thanks Bil - i still have a lot to learn. someone buy me Paul T's book? :D

I think the worst part about having an untouched denim collection is exactly what nudie says on their website. Denim (indigo) and Leather are the only two materials that get better with age and wear and tear. Having 100 untouched pairs is nice to look at but its a shame knowing you will never get a chance to see all of them fully worn in and as beautiful as they can be.

To me its like only having the caterpillar without the butterfly!

DCNudiethug
5th July 2007, 06:02
I really enjoyed reading this thread.

BTW DCNudiethug, I am "Billy" ;)

If you lurk here long enough, Cameland will fill your head with enough knowledge to make your head hurt. He knows his shit.

Well Bil I didnt know you also went by Billy. Nice to finally meet you. You are also one of the posters who's opinons I hold very high and know your collection is extensive and always always growing. Been lurking for months so I am familiar with a few of you. So it was more of a compliment than a put down when they said I was trying to be like you!! One thing for sure you are a collector.

BTW, any other suggestions for the next pair of "must have" selvage?

Cameland, I will definitely use the services you suggested once those Sammies are out.

DCNudiethug
5th July 2007, 06:10
Aw thanks Bil - i still have a lot to learn. someone buy me Paul T's book? :D

I think the worst part about having an untouched denim collection is exactly what nudie says on their website. Denim (indigo) and Leather are the only two materials that get better with age and wear and tear. Having 100 untouched pairs is nice to look at but its a shame knowing you will never get a chance to see all of them fully worn in and as beautiful as they can be.

To me its like only having the caterpillar without the butterfly!

I agree. I bought 2 pair of RRDS so that I could collect one and have the Nudie experience with the other so I have the full experience of raw denim while I collect all others. I will continue to only wear the one so that eventually the "butterfly" will too be added to the collection. I definitely have no plans of ever wearing any others I acquire. Possibly in 10 or 20 years when they may be alot more valuable/rare.

bilmaga
5th July 2007, 06:15
Well Bil I didnt know you also went by Billy. Nice to finally meet you. You are also one of the posters who's opinons I hold very high and know your collection is extensive and always always growing. Been lurking for months so I am familiar with a few of you. So it was more of a compliment than a put down when they said I was trying to be like you!! One thing for sure you are a collector.

BTW, any other suggestions for the next pair of "must have" selvage?

Cameland, I will definitely use the services you suggested once those Sammies are out.

Thanks man :)

If I was you, My next purchase would be the 21oz. Samurai

DCNudiethug
5th July 2007, 06:21
Thanks man :)

If I was you, My next purchase would be the 21oz. Samurai

Would I need a proxy for these also or can these be ordered to the US?

cameland
5th July 2007, 06:31
http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=2724&category_id=&manufacturer_id=10&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=28

bilmaga
5th July 2007, 07:15
Samurai ran into some sizing issues with the 21oz.

They are true to size pre wash. The original plan was 2 inches, because that is what they usually shrink. Now a 30 measures 30 raw. After wash, it will be a 28.

They were sorry about the screw up. I wonder if they will change it or just make everyone size up on the 21oz.?

nt54
5th July 2007, 07:57
Hypebeasts are all about trends.

They're also all about getting items that are heavily coveted by a lot of people, rather than only taking their own personal taste into account.

I "get" collecting. A great collection is not one that is made up of coveted popular items. An awesome collection is one that reflects the owner's personality and taste. By asking people what the "most coveted" selvage denim is, you're simply going with popular opinion and not really collecting items that say anything about you.

And collecting for value? Give me a break.

Tiro
5th July 2007, 11:20
Basically I can agree with everything Camel said, but he forgot one source, the nudie bible, it has some usefull info also...

Oh btw Dom, offcourse I knew you were not that serious about only having LVC in a collection, that's why I mentioned it twice ;) But it's true, you gotta know the roots of it all to really appreciate it, that's also why I think it's so weird, wanting to collect selvage and not even knowing that much about it... (to put it mildly)
basically that's the thing about selvedge I think, it's the 'it was like this in the old days' factor, for the rest, it doesn't mean a thing, it's just a feeling of authenticity it adds...

furthermore, DCThugthingie... It really intrigues me, why do you want to collect jeans, but never wear them, also why do you want jeans that is 'most coveted' instead of jeans that you yourself really like...
A collection is worth nothing imho if you don't love the pieces in it like it were your own children, so in conclusion, you can't ask people what you should put in your collection, you should feel it...

and oh, everybody wants to be like Billy, even if they don't admit to it :p

oh yeah, like nt54 says, collecting for value? if you wanna do that, go with cars or jewelry son...

cameland
5th July 2007, 11:58
Thanks for your agreement Tiro.

I think collecting for value could be worth it, but only in the long, long, long run. They would have to be antique before theyd be worth real money honey. If your collecting for value, start again with LVC, LEE and wrangler.

nt54
5th July 2007, 12:08
They would have to be antique before theyd be worth real money honey.

Truly. I don't know how old DCNudiethug is, but my guess is that if he's collecting new jeans he may not even be alive by the time they're really worth any serious money.

Bobbejaan
5th July 2007, 12:19
the only thing i can say is: i have a 20 euro Jack & Jones flame selvage denim and a 20 euro H&M dry denim. The H&M denim is actually better. thicker and fades way better.

Off course selvage is 80% of the time better then a regular dry denim.

Arianuz
5th July 2007, 12:22
the only thing i can say is: i have a 20 euro Jack & Jones flame selvage denim and a 20 euro H&M dry denim. The H&M denim is actually better. thicker and fades way better.

flame selvage denim for 20 euro's? and it actually is selvadge?

Tiro
5th July 2007, 12:37

man, didn't you read anything we posted before in this topic? ;)
selvedge is just the closing of the denim, it does not affect the quality, yes mostly the selvedge denim is better but that has nothing to do with the selvedge, they could make the exact same quality of denim without the selvedge if they want to...
look at ALD... ;)

yeah actually Dom, that's what I kinda mean, these jeans would have to be ancient before they would be worth any serious cash, especially Nudies and the likes, jeans that are produced in large runs...

I doubt they would survive that long tho, that's why you're better off with cars or jewelry or something when value is your goal...

Bobbejaan
5th July 2007, 13:30
man, didn't you read anything we posted before in this topic? ;)
selvedge is just the closing of the denim, it does not affect the quality, yes mostly the selvedge denim is better but that has nothing to do with the selvedge, they could make the exact same quality of denim without the selvedge if they want to...
look at ALD... ;)

I doubt they would survive that long tho, that's why you're better off with cars or jewelry or something when value is your goal...

i read the whole topic. i know selvage is nothing. but almost all really good jeans are selvage (80%) some are not ( ALD IH's johnbull ). thats just my bad english.

And i do think you could make a profit from these denims. The only thing is you have to buy them at a low price. conservation is no problem. Cars and jewelry usually ask a heavy investment

bilmaga
5th July 2007, 14:36
My johnbull and IH's are selvage

Although I guess ALD also makes selvage too

DCNudiethug
5th July 2007, 17:02
Meaning one predominantly defined on grounds of aesthetic? Eh, I understand the nature, the purpose almost, of the collector. Yet there is something about the idea behind the collection of denim for the sole sake of...well, clinging onto it and gazing admiringly from a distance that just seems, from a personal perspective, to defy the purpose and history of the material and design itself. I have always seen the wearing of a fine pair of jeans to be a part of that glorification as something of a work of art. Very comfortable art mind you. ;)

But then again, you can't really say that such collection is not comparable to that of cars you will never drive, jewelry you may never wear, bottle caps you will never need, salt shakers never to be filled, whatever it might be. Though I can't say I agree with it, I understand the logic.

Read this and then you should understand nt54. Maybe not agree, but at least understand. I dont give a damn about jeans or fashion as much as you nt54 cause I only collect. I dont care enough about the history and who did what and why. Thats for you fanatics. I will learn more facts than I want to know over time. I am merely a collector of coveted items, maybe like a "hypebeast", but no one will EVER really see my items except me and thats what separates the Man I am from the boys. Am I wrong because I want to collect selvage jeans now? Is a kid wrong for collecting bottle caps or stamps or worthless salt shakers? Should they have to explain why they want it? I dont think so cause its their prerogative. A collection of items DOESNT have to reflect the collector EVER, only the type of collection he is putting together.

When a collector collects cars he goes to the dealership when one collects stamps he goes to the post office to gain knowledge on what is out there to collect. Thats the same thing I am trying to do;find out whats out there to collect to throw into a selvage collection from selvage/denim experts. Its nice collecting things other people care about more than you do. I collect; you're the expert. I understand why an expert wouldn't appreciate a collector since I am not as knowledgeable and value the items like you do or treat them like you do once I have them which makes me a terrible terrible person.

Thanks for everyone who is at least attempting to be helpful. This has been more fun than I imagined.

Tiro- Please either type my name correctly or dont. Dont be a super tough forum bully and call me out my name. Doesnt matter if you disagree but keep it mature. I never post on forums and this is why, anonymous tough guys. We are all adults, arent we? Maybe thats part of the problem. Not sure what the ages of people here are but I have kids myself. Respect me and I will do the same. Lets agree to disagree like adults, IF thats what we are. As stated in #22, I collect jewelry,coins, LV, and a lot more, SON. Denim is just the next collection. Nothing else to me. SORRY.

Gregory
5th July 2007, 19:11
hop on a plane and fly to Japan

fg_dry
5th July 2007, 19:38
whats the point of collecting if you arnt going to enjoy your collection....i mean you spend all of this money for some thing pretty to look at...ive decided that i am only going to collect nudie exclusivly for the next few years (im selling my new lee 101b) but im going to wear my jeans....ive always had a collecting personality so to speak i use to collect vintage video games but i still enjoyed them while keeping the boxes and litature for my systems and software.....same goes with clothing i keep all tags for each peice so if i ever decided to sell some thing i can sell it with the tag (wich proves to have great pay offs on ebay) but denim doesnt really have any investment value compared to buying rare cars like the ferrari fxx or a picasso sketch so why let a perfectly good thing waist away in your closet?

Tiro
5th July 2007, 22:58
Tiro- Please either type my name correctly or dont. Dont be a super tough forum bully and call me out my name. Doesnt matter if you disagree but keep it mature. I never post on forums and this is why, anonymous tough guys. We are all adults, arent we? Maybe thats part of the problem. Not sure what the ages of people here are but I have kids myself. Respect me and I will do the same. Lets agree to disagree like adults, IF thats what we are. As stated in #22, I collect jewelry,coins, LV, and a lot more, SON. Denim is just the next collection. Nothing else to me. SORRY.

seriously dude, you should listen to yourself, 'type my name correctly or don't' :D
it's a screenname, I'll type it any damn way I want, if that bothers you, use your real name, then I'll type it correctly...

furthermore, yes we are adults (that is if you ain't faking, I am 28) and I can certainly agree to disagree but...
I just don't get why you would want to collect something that you don't give two cents about, if you have too much money on your hands or you want to make a good investment, why not collect something you love or that is really a good investment, jeans seem a good investment maybe, but it's much harder to eventually find a buyer for Jeans I imagine then let's say for the LV or Jewelry...

I just don't get it, why collect something that you don't like, most collectors have a passion for their collections, you just have a passion for collecting or what?

call me ingnorant, but to me, this seems a waste of time and money...

to close this up, I hardly think me calling you 'dcthugthingie' or son because I did not remember your correct screenname, makes me a internet bully or tough guy, I am far from tough, tho I have my own way of typing and expressing things, if you don't like that, I am very sorry but the fact of the matter is, you can't change anything about it, just as I can't change the fact that you collect things that you don't even like...

so I guess, we'll have to agree to disagree once more ;)

nt54
5th July 2007, 23:29
I just don't get why you would want to collect something that you don't give two cents about, if you have too much money on your hands or you want to make a good investment, why not collect something you love or that is really a good investment, jeans seem a good investment maybe, but it's much harder to eventually find a buyer for Jeans I imagine then let's say for the LV or Jewelry...

Well, to me he is obviously ignorant and doesn't understand why people enjoy raw denim. It's appreciated because, unlike prewashed denim, it has character due to the way it wears. He doesn't want to wear his denim, though, so his will lack any character. He also does not want to build a collection that is personally meaningful to him, so it's really going to be nothing more than an inventory.

True, a collection doesn't have to have any personal meaning to the "collector," but such a collection is ultimately meaningless. As I said before, the best collections have personal significance to the collector. That's not just my opinion, either, as I know a lot of people feel the same way.

And honestly, he says he wants to put together the "perfect" selvage collection. What does that even mean? Perfect according to whom? There doesn't seem to be such a thing because everyone has different taste. How can he even be the judge of whether or not it's perfect if he doesn't even know or have taste for what he's collecting in the first place?

DCNudiethug
6th July 2007, 00:55
furthermore, yes we are adults (that is if you ain't faking, I am 28) and I can certainly agree to disagree but...

I just don't get it, why collect something that you don't like, most collectors have a passion for their collections, you just have a passion for collecting or what?

call me ingnorant, but to me, this seems a waste of time and money...

I can't change the fact that you collect things that you don't even like...

so I guess, we'll have to agree to disagree once more ;)

When you communicate your feelings rationally, I can actually respond instead of when you are aggressively attacking like MANY posters have stated you do.

To answer the sensible questions you asked let me give you a little bit more background me...

I have a nice home that is paid for, cars, a 15' boat, and many collectible items. I am 31 years old software engineer who makes well over $150,000 for the last 4 years so I use the word "fortunate" alot cause thats how I feel. ( Blessed is what my religion calls it) My wife and kids want for nothing. I spend lots of money travelling and collecting things that I didnt really get to have when I was young with 4 siblings. ( Doesnt make it smart or right just being honest man ) Its more of a hobby than anything else and any hobby can seem like a waste of money but never a waste of time. You're not ignorant, I know its dumb but I have lots of money from working hard. This world has lots of rich sob's that waste waay more money and you and I will never understand cause we dont have it like that. Does it make it dumb, or stupid or right or wrong or really just something we just cant relate to at the moment.

Well, to me he is obviously ignorant and doesn't understand why people enjoy raw denim. It's appreciated because, unlike prewashed denim, it has character due to the way it wears. He doesn't want to wear his denim, though, so his will lack any character. He also does not want to build a collection that is personally meaningful to him, so it's really going to be nothing more than an inventory.

True, a collection doesn't have to have any personal meaning to the "collector," but such a collection is ultimately meaningless. As I said before, the best collections have personal significance to the collector. That's not just my opinion, either, as I know a lot of people feel the same way.

And honestly, he says he wants to put together the "perfect" selvage collection. What does that even mean? Perfect according to whom? There doesn't seem to be such a thing because everyone has different taste. How can he even be the judge of whether or not it's perfect if he doesn't even know or have taste for what he's collecting in the first place?

I already admitted that I was ignorant when it came to denim. No biggy. I admitted I am a collector so you as an expert wouldnt appreciate the fact that I dont have the same interest in denim and I could do what you do without even caring. No biggy. I have a buddy who has a lambo and a ferrari that he rarely ever drives. ( Think he gives a damn that he isnt using it on the autobahn like they were made to do, I really doubt it cause when he pulls the cover off just to take a peek, it puts a smile on his face just to know they are there. ) I guess its what happens when you are very fortunate.

Stupid or not, right or wrong, its life. Just look around.

Meaningless collection, huh? Sounds relative to me. Try convincing poor mothers and kids in the inner cities of the world that purchasing $300 denim and then thrashing them so they look cool, has meaning. I dare you. Dont judge cause no one is judging you.

I did agree with Cameland early in the post that the post title was very wrong and shouldve been more like "What should my next selvage be" and the responses wouldve been more appropriate.

Ignorant in denim, yes. Nothing wrong with it. Just means I dont know. I know technology, which allows me to have lots of denim if I want, that I dont have to know anything about. I once shared your views on waste when I didnt make as much as I do, so I DO understand your argument, but in life the more you make, the more you spend, the more you waste. Just a fact of life you can look forward to in the future.

BTW, I think I've decided on some 19 or 21oz sammies for my next purchase, just to get back on topic. What do you think?

ExileOnMainStreet
6th July 2007, 01:04
the mynudies flame wars are so friendly, I'd love to see someone just tell the other guy to go f*ck himself but it rarely ever happens

every selvedge collection should consist of an LVC, a lee repro, ED47 rainbow selvedge and if you got money in the bank shorty whatchu thank, go for the paul smith red ear

i have this stupid habit of wanting a different colour selvedge on a new pair of jeans, PRPS has purple selvedge, the selvedge on the nando x nandos looks pretty sweet and the silver/red Samurai selvedge kicks all kinds of ass (it symbolizes blood and the sword i think?)

nt54
6th July 2007, 01:22
Meaningless collection, huh? Sounds relative to me. Try convincing poor mothers and kids in the inner cities of the world that purchasing $300 denim and then thrashing them so they look cool, has meaning. I dare you. Dont judge cause no one is judging you.

What makes you think I'm "thrashing" my jeans? I used to work in the technology sector, too, so what makes you think you have any idea as to what I (or anyone else, for that matter) own? Did I mention anything about waste?

Seems like you're making judgments...

Tiro
6th July 2007, 01:32
I waste alot of money myself but when I said waste, I meant it more like it's a waste cause that money could also be spent on something that does make your heart beat faster...

whatever it is, I would not spend this much on jeans if I didn't like it, didn't care about it, then I would spend it on something I did care about, that's all I don't get...

collect something you are passionate about man, that's alot nicer, even if it is something that just sits there...

DoitsuJin
6th July 2007, 01:47
this thread definitely delivers.

also, i'm not so sure why you're surprised about the negative feedback on you, nudiethug... you have to realize, even as friendly as this forum is, most of the users here are dry denim lovers or even freaks. it's very discouraging when you find out a fellow member here has no passion but just collects.

DCNudiethug
6th July 2007, 02:01
What makes you think I'm "thrashing" my jeans? I used to work in the technology sector, too, so what makes you think you have any idea as to what I own? Did I mention anything about waste?

Seems like you're making judgments...

I was speaking in general of the Nudie way that most are here doing. ( Wearing for 6 months without washing and wearing hard as possible equals thrashing which equals waste which equals "meaningless". Right?)

This wasnt about who owns what? I was only giving Tiro a bit of my background so that maybe he would have a little bit better understanding of where I am coming from so that he could understand what I wanted and why as you both kept asking. Thought I'd paint a picture of the type of dummy that does what I do. Not to agree but just to have a better idea of my angle.

Once again, I know its stupid but so who doesnt do things that others can look at as dumb and wasteful. ( once again back to the $300 jeans that most are thrashing...and if you are not, than you arent the real Nudie type per Nudie's instructions, not mine. )

I am %100 sure that I am in the minority here in a forum with dry denim fans...thats why I admitted that I understand why my opinion wouldnt be completely welcomed as a collector.

Tiro - I have everything I could ever want and more when it comes to my passions...eventually you just start trial and erroring with interests hence becoming a collector of lots of stuff others appreciate more than you. Thats how I got into denim. Just started on the Nudie site and saw the following behind the product and it just consumed me from there the passion you guys have. Same passion I have for my stuff. Guess thats what has me hooked, for the moment.

johncubus
6th July 2007, 02:38
I was speaking in general of the Nudie way that most are here doing. ( Wearing for 6 months without washing and wearing hard as possible equals thrashing which equals waste which equals "meaningless". Right?)

I would have to say that this statement is extremely inaccurate. If you consider this thrashing jeans which equals meaningless, then you are insinuating that all the people buying pre-washed jeans are wasting their money. The reason for purchasing jeans in their raw state and wearing them as much as possible before washing is for the individual to put his/her own character in their jeans instead of allowing a person or machine to create the same look that will be worn by thousands of other people that purcahse the same jeans. If you've looked through the photo gallery, you will see pictures of jeans after their first wash and the results are awe-inspiring. It's all about individuality and to me that is most meaningful! Nuff Said!!!

Tiro
6th July 2007, 02:46
also, I tend to agree with nt54, I'm not trashing my jeans at all, they are in fact kept in top condition, yes I want them to fade, tho I don't want extreme fades/rips/holes like some, I want subtle natural fades and the areas that don't fade, I want to leave quite dark...

so no trashing for me thanks...

also, if you truelly have everything and more when it comes to your passions, I can't help but feeling a little sad for that, must leave you with a big hole I think... nothing to look forward to to get/do...

Then again, you got kids, so those'll give plenty of meaning to your life luckily

DCNudiethug
6th July 2007, 02:50
I would have to say that this statement is extremely inaccurate. If you consider this thrashing jeans which equals meaningless, then you are insinuating that all the people buying pre-washed jeans are wasting their money. The reason for purchasing jeans in their raw state and wearing them as much as possible before washing is for the individual to put his/her own character in their jeans instead of allowing a person or machine to create the same look that will be worn by thousands of other people that purcahse the same jeans. If you've looked through the photo gallery, you will see pictures of jeans after their first wash and the results are awe-inspiring. It's all about individuality and to me that is most meaningful! Nuff Said!!!

I was only making a point to someone who was calling what I do meaningless, which I responded by saying that meaningless and waste is all relative. ( once again, try convincing poor mothers and children in the worst living conditions in the3 world that wearing $300 jeans til they have a unique look has meaning. Do it with a straight face...)

Just making a point that meaningless and stupid and dumb and weird and strange are all relative. I really respect everyone and would never call what someone does meaningless, cause its all relative.

johncubus
6th July 2007, 03:11
( once again, try convincing poor mothers and children in the worst living conditions in the3 world that wearing $300 jeans til they have a unique look has meaning. Do it with a straight face...)

I would have no porblem doing that. My family came to the states pennyless in the 70s. I lived in government housing projects for most of my life. I wore clothes that were donated to us from Church and wore them till they fell apart. My parents worked hard to get us through school and I worked hard to pay for college. Success should be seen as motivation that they too can overcome anything. So everything I buy has meaning, relatively speaking.

You have made your choice to collect whatever you want and you stand by it and I totally respect that. But don't play the poverty card here.

iwannudies
6th July 2007, 06:13
I am %100 sure that I am in the minority here in a forum with dry denim fans...

You are in the minority, in fact, you're probably the only one.

And about the poverty, why don't you try telling those poor mothers and children that you have a fckin boat and want to buy $300 jeans just for your collection. At least we use our jeans. Yours just sit there and collect dust.

I love my jeans. I don't fckin thrash them. And don't, don't ever say what we do with our jeans is a waste or meaningless, even if you're trying to make a point which I don't get. You don't have a clue about breaking in jeans so STFU.

And yeah, since you're such a rich software director, why don't you just hire someone to do your fckin research on selvage.

nt54
6th July 2007, 07:15

AGAIN: where did *I* mention anything about waste? You're putting words into my mouth.

Also, why are you assuming that people are "thrashing" their jeans and, if they aren't, they aren't "the real Nudie type per Nudie's instructions"? Have you looked at Nudie's website? All they actually say is to wear the jeans every day for as long as possible. They don't say to wear them as hard as possible. They don't say to wear holes into them. Like Tiro, I wear my jeans every day, but just because I do that doesn't mean they are in bad condition. On the contrary, they're in good condition. So again, where do you get the idea that people are "thrashing" their jeans according to Nudie's instructions? Do you even know what you're talking about?

And yeah, I think a mother living in poverty would probably look more highly upon me than you because, unlike you, I'm actually wearing the jeans that I spent my money on, rather than simply looking at them.

cameland
6th July 2007, 07:29
Wow, where were you guys in the beginning when this thread started? Everyone seems to have an opinion now its been fleshed out like this. I liked what exile said though, heh.

I agree with what almost everyone said, even DCnudiethug. I think hes just kinda gone into this the wrong way basically. When I was first into raw denim my opinions and feelings towards it are much different than they are now. When I first got into it I wanted to collect every single fit model that nudie made, I don't even know why but thats just how I felt. I also felt that selvage was really important and things like this. Once you learn more about it you come to appreciate other things and your opinion will change slightly.

Let him collect, you don't have to help him though.

On topic or somewhat off topic. the 21oz sam is a good choice, as far as I know its the first real 21oz model ever made and not only that they say it would actually fade good as well (but you'll never know, lol)

Oh and having a Lambo and a pair of samurais in the garage are not the same thing. Dry jean gets better as you use it and a lambo, expensive jewlery or salt shakers don't. I think thats the main reason people are on your back.

Tiro
6th July 2007, 11:26
actually I think I do see where this guy is coming from now, but I really think it's kinda sad, goes to show you that money does not equal happyness...

what do you do when you got everything you want? you begin to buy things you don't even need/want just because... that's sad, I prefer having not enough money to buy all the jeans I want and still have something to look forward to...

in all honesty, yeah that mother would have less problems with us because we use our jeans and (most of us) work hard to be able to buy those jeans...
but in more honesty, I think wether we buy those jeans use them or not, that is not going to help her and she wouldn't give a rats ass, cause she has more important problems...

but that does not make us or you any better then the other...

DCnudiethug needs a hug imho ;)
I hope when he starts collecting dry's, he might actually find a new passion for them and then appreciate the full dry experience...

johncubus
6th July 2007, 12:06
actually I think I do see where this guy is coming from now, but I really think it's kinda sad, goes to show you that money does not equal happyness...

what do you do when you got everything you want? you begin to buy things you don't even need/want just because... that's sad, I prefer having not enough money to buy all the jeans I want and still have something to look forward to...

in all honesty, yeah that mother would have less problems with us because we use our jeans and (most of us) work hard to be able to buy those jeans...
but in more honesty, I think wether we buy those jeans use them or not, that is not going to help her and she wouldn't give a rats ass, cause she has more important problems...

but that does not make us or you any better then the other...

I hope when he starts collecting dry's, he might actually find a new passion for them and then appreciate the full dry experience...

Well said Tiro...well said.

END OF THREAD.

DCNudiethug
6th July 2007, 16:37

Tiro you are dead on! What do you do when you have most everything you truely want? Spend, spend, spend on stuff you dont truely want or care about. Ask a super rich spoiled kid or someone that hits the lottery for an enormous amount like multi-millions, they'll have plenty of examples. It just happens over time without you realizing it.

I guess I do need a hug! Where are my cuties to give dad some love?

Like I stated Nudiejeans and the mynudie passion for raw denim is what caught my attention so I really do hope that it consumes me for a long time so that I am more educated and am able to experience a similar journey with my jeans like you all. I feel a little more converted already thanks to Cameland, bil, nt54, and Tiro. You all brought up very good points which has assisted me to see thru your eyes and open mine a bit wider.

As for NO ONE "thrashing" or speeding up the life expectancy ( for lack of better terms) jeans on this site, now come on.... if you dont fine, you are in the minority.

Wear, wear, wear, use, use, use.

And the answer to every other post here is "wear em hard" and "wear em harder", not make em last longer, but abused the F outta em and in return they will look sweet and unique. I understand the logic thats why i am here.

Thanks everyone. I love you guys cause you have opened up and shown what I never knew about the denim passion. I am really really touched and inspired.

nt54
6th July 2007, 20:28
As for NO ONE "thrashing" or speeding up the life expectancy ( for lack of better terms) jeans on this site, now come on.... if you dont fine, you are in the minority.

Do you understand the language you are using? "Thrashing" has a negative implication, as though people are treating their jeans badly. Just because people wear their jeans every day doesn't mean that they are treating their jeans badly. There is a difference between daily wear and hard wear.

DCNudiethug
6th July 2007, 21:50
Do you understand the language you are using? "Thrashing" has a negative implication, as though people are treating their jeans badly. Just because people wear their jeans every day doesn't mean that they are treating their jeans badly. There is a difference between daily wear and hard wear.

Hi nt54! How's the weather in Chi-town today?

Originally Posted by DCNudiethug View Post
As for NO ONE "thrashing" or speeding up the life expectancy ( for lack of better terms)

If "thrashing" has a negative implication, then how about the rest of the sentence???

I tried my best to find another phrase, "speeding up the life expectancy" to ensure a bit more accuracy and to not offend but it still didnt work.

I have $20 to send to your pay pal account if a poll is taken and more people on this site choose daily wear over hard wear as the Nudie/mynudie way or their own personal way.

How bout it???

iwannudies
6th July 2007, 21:56
Dude...Save you cash and donate it to people in poverty. But by all means set up this poll. I'm interested to see the results. I for one wear my jeans and do not do anything special in them to break them in. I go about my life as usual, sit stand walk drive etc. No thrashing or 'hard' wear for me.

DoitsuJin
6th July 2007, 21:56
i still don't understand why you continue to post here, first off your reception isn't quite welcomed... second of all if you're just a collector who enjoys looking at your jeans hung up on the wall, this forum probably isn't for you.

DCNudiethug
6th July 2007, 22:01
i still don't understand why you continue to post here, first off your reception isn't quite welcomed... second of all if you're just a collector who enjoys looking at your jeans hung up on the wall, this forum probably isn't for you.

Well since he from NJ has spoken, I am outta here!

Conifurious
6th July 2007, 22:03
*palm+face*

This thread should have ended approximately 8 posts ago with the very clear-minded and lucid post from Tiro. Everything that would have needed to be said, has already been said.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f362/Your_enigma/flogger350x4501.jpg

cameland
6th July 2007, 22:10
This has probably been my favourite thread in many many months here at mynudies. It's threads like this which keep me coming back. Although I do spend probably 60% of my time here answering PMs lol.

Billy should probably lock this thread though.

DoitsuJin
6th July 2007, 22:11
and what does being from NJ have to do with anything?

for someone who's so old, you're not so mature

nt54
7th July 2007, 00:15
As for NO ONE "thrashing" or speeding up the life expectancy ( for lack of better terms)

I have a better idea: you show me where I said "NO ONE" thrashes their jeans, in those exact words. If you find it, then I'll give you that $20. If you can't find it, then you've been putting words into my mouth and you owe me $50.

How 'bout it?

nt54
7th July 2007, 00:21
daily wear over hard wear as the Nudie/mynudie way or their own personal way.

FURTHERMORE, did you read my previous post where I talked about the Nudie website? Where do you get off on talking about "the Nudie" way, when you obviously don't know what it's about? I mean, you don't even wear your jeans and you're trying to tell people the way Nudie says to wear their jeans.

Here's what I said, because you obviously didn't read it:

Have you looked at Nudie's website? All they actually say is to wear the jeans every day for as long as possible. They don't say to wear them as hard as possible. They don't say to wear holes into them.

Now, please show me where Nudie says that hard wear is the way to wear their jeans.

bilmaga
7th July 2007, 02:09
I feel a little more converted already thanks to Cameland, bil, nt54, and Tiro. You all brought up very good points which has assisted me to see thru your eyes and open mine a bit wider.

Glad we could help somewhat. I hope that one day you share the same passion that we do. Now don't get me wrong, I am a collector myself, but those jeans are like my children. I take pride in every pair that I have. When friends see my collection, they think I am the dumbest person alive. I could care less what they think. I think you feel the same way about what people think of you. If you want to collect jeans, who are we to stop you.

Plus, if you do catch the denim bug, the passion towards your collection will go up ten fold and you might see why some people took offence to you wanting to collect.

I would love to compare collections one day when yours starts growing ;)

Best of luck. I will help you where I can.

Cheers,

Justin

theLorax
22nd July 2007, 00:08
1) bootcut
1) straight leg
1) tapered leg

1) relaxed/repro fit
2) slim/modern fit

2) indigo
1) black

2) thick heavy denim
1) light comfortable denim for hot weather

Basically 3 different pairs to cover the most ground.

iwannudies
22nd July 2007, 01:45
I thought he only wants to collect them, not wear them?

Dexstar
22nd July 2007, 03:12
Donate your money...

cameland
22nd July 2007, 06:38
Why was this bumped?

bilmaga
22nd July 2007, 06:40
Good question. ( I just bumped it again :lol:)

iwannudies
22nd July 2007, 09:04
Why was this bumped?
Lorax posted this:

1) bootcut
1) straight leg
1) tapered leg

1) relaxed/repro fit
2) slim/modern fit

2) indigo
1) black

2) thick heavy denim
1) light comfortable denim for hot weather

Basically 3 different pairs to cover the most ground.

cameland
22nd July 2007, 09:48
Lorax posted this:

I do not understand what he was trying to say one bit :-?

iwannudies
22nd July 2007, 09:52
Same here, I think he was trying to list diff criteria for diff pairs, but too vague for my limited intelligence.

cameland
22nd July 2007, 10:14
lol limitedintelligence, thats the name of my friends website. Which just so happens to own my website.

Anyhoo, I think it would make a lot more sense without the numbers.

bilmaga
22nd July 2007, 16:51
Maybe that's how many pairs of each style he owns?

theLorax
24th July 2007, 03:02
instead of listing specific jeans that I consider a good collection, i just made up a list of tyes of denim, since people have different taste in brands.

its what i consider to be a good start for someone who's just starting a collection.

cameland
24th July 2007, 03:05
instead of listing specific jeans that I consider a good collection, i just made up a list of tyes of denim, since people have different taste in brands.

its what i consider to be a good start for someone who's just starting a collection.

If you read the thread, you'll see how hes not going to actually wear them. so yeah. I agree with your list though.