PDA

View Full Version : Fitness

NudieDK
5th June 2007, 00:07
I thought it was appropriate to start a new topic about fitness/strength training. Apparently there are some people at this community that are interested in this, including me. So we can discuss fitness related topics in this thread instead of spoiling the other jeans threads with this totally off topic subject. :wink:

NudieDK
5th June 2007, 00:16
I have taken this from the "What is your last purchase" thread.

I'm sorry to go so far off topic with this one but I really want to know something about this cuz u got me kinda interested now..

u say u lost a lot of weight using creatine :?:

well I need to lose a hella lot of fat fast atm so what can you advice me to do? I have to mention I work out but since like 2,5 months ago i started going way less cuz I got a job due which I can hardly work out anymore (maybe just only 1 once a week or so)

I was concidering buying creatine before too but I never really did much research about it so I never bought the stuff either

so anyway.. tell me what to do now :P

I wouldnt say that creatine would make you loose a lot of fat quickly. Normally you would increase your weight because the creatine will bound some water in your body. However your will not add fat to your weight.

You need do some cardio training and you have to eat correctly. This is very important. Creatine by itself will not cause a significant fat loss. Since you dont have much time for cardio you should focus on the diet.

losing weight on creatine is wierd, then you don't drink to much and you put yourself in a hazardous situation. Creatine holds water in your muscles, thous some weight gain.

Sounds like you need to get rid of some fat, just keep it simple. exersize more, eat less. smaller meals is usually a very easy and big step to weight loss. no snacking, lot's of meals. and do a lot of heavy weightlifting while your're at it.

and please if this discussion is to continue, someone create "the gym thread"

Just saw your reply Legoland. I agree with you. Fat loss is actually pretty simple. Eat less than your energy consumption. Then you will lose weight per definition. And by adding cardio to some diet it should be relatively easy.

Legoland
5th June 2007, 00:19
Never really got the cardiocraze when talking about loosing weight, I think it's a long lived myth. I mean the body works harder and longer during weight training, thous using more energy ie, burning more calories.

NudieDK
5th June 2007, 00:27
Never really got the cardiocraze when talking about loosing weight, I think it's a long lived myth. I mean the body works harder and longer during weight training, thous using more energy ie, burning more calories.

The body certainly works hard during a weight training, but I dont think it works longer. Obviously it depends on the period of cardio vs. weight training period.

But with weight training there are a lot of stops between the sets, where the body is in rest and the pulse is decreased towards normal level. When I am weight training 1.5 hours, much of that is actually resting, if im not doing supersets.

Legoland
5th June 2007, 00:34
does'nt matter, pulse is about moving oxygen nothing else. it takes heaps and heaps of energy to repair yourself after heavy training (that's why rest days, and eating days and such existis).
but still I up my cardio when I'm loosing weight, combination and variation is always the way to go.

NudieDK
5th June 2007, 00:45
But you are also using a good amount of energy when you are running :)
Yes, a combination should be the optimal solution. All that matters is that you are under your equlibrium intake of energy. Then you will lose weight.
How you do it is not important.
You can do heavy strengt training 4 times a week, but you will not gain weight if you are under your eq. intake.

Legoland
5th June 2007, 00:55
just realized I forgot to mention, I can do cardio for about 8 minutes before I'm tasting blood and pass out ; )

and yeah, counting calories is easy and should be done. you get the hang of it in a couple of weeks. Just estimate, but take a look and you should be able to drop fast...

Gmo is Back
5th June 2007, 01:06
Just to dive into an interesting thread... The thing with cardio is that studies are now on the side of high impact cardio vs. endurance cardio. In short, your body burns more fat if you are out playing a pickup game with your buddies than a 45 minute jog. Also, if you step up the speed of your weight training, it is a more valueable source of cardio than simply running

good thread, good thread

Gregory
5th June 2007, 01:09
I run about 3k every morning before work, and when it comes to meals I keep it down to as many complex carbs and proteins as I can. I'm small as it is, so I don't exercise to lose weight, I just do it to feel good and stay healthy. I would like to tone up a little bit (I'm skinny so muscle definintion isn't tough to achieve, I just need to build a little more)

homochimpus
5th June 2007, 01:17
Muscle burns energy more efficiently than any other cell type. (At least any type of which you can control proliferation.)

So, if you're interested in burning fat, building muscle is pretty much a prerequisite.

Now, extensive running or biking or whatever cardio activity you like will obviously increase muscle mass. Weightlifting will do it quicker, though.

Depending on your diet and natural metabolism, it takes anywhere between 15 to 30 minutes of fairly intense cardio to burn through your body's readily available sugar, which will leave your fat stores as the only energy source for your muscles.

Thus, the best way to lose fat is a combination of cardio and weightlifting.

SiT
5th June 2007, 02:08
cause if u burn fat u gain muscle.. thats the reason why these products like protein or something, have fat in them not very much but its in there just so u can burn the fat into muscles into bigger massa...

yiggabob
5th June 2007, 02:12
i just wish i had the time to really concentrate on fitness

some time ago i had two knee surgeries playing the futebol..
i put on a LOT of weight
but when i got to Uni i took advantage of the free time (had to look good for teh wimminz), and started a 4 day-a-week workout regimen..by the end of college I'd lost 50lbs. total.
I was playing lots of futebol again, and even doing some two-a-days at the gym (AM cardio - PM lifting), and not worrying too much about diet- just cut out packaged snacks and eating out of boredom..

but since then i've really gotten the hang of music production, and it's hard to split studio time with gym time...though i've recently started doing pushups and situps with a workout ball.
I try to play pickup footie games or golf on the weekends, but i hate not having free time between commuting/work (6am-5pm) and wanting to finish my first album :(

It's hard keeping the weight off, but i find snacking on fruits/nuts/veggies is a good way to at least keep my metabolism in motion.
any other suggestions for keeping fit?

johncubus
5th June 2007, 02:17
I rock climb 4-5 times a week. Great cardio and strength training. It also increases your flexibility. I've been climbing for about 5 years now and I've develped some wicked calluses on the tips of my fingers. I mostly boulder these days. Top roping is always fun but nothing beats the brut force of bouldering. The wifey loves it too.

Lou2006
5th June 2007, 07:30
eat less, move more. simple really. depending on the work you do it may be harder, but ANY movement is a start. also consider what you can do from home to start with, free-weights, yoga, calisthenics etc.

good luck it can be like pushing runny crap up everest, but perservere!!

Ghost
5th June 2007, 07:58
Muscle burns energy more efficiently than any other cell type. (At least any type of which you can control proliferation.)

So, if you're interested in burning fat, building muscle is pretty much a prerequisite.

Now, extensive running or biking or whatever cardio activity you like will obviously increase muscle mass. Weightlifting will do it quicker, though.

Depending on your diet and natural metabolism, it takes anywhere between 15 to 30 minutes of fairly intense cardio to burn through your body's readily available sugar, which will leave your fat stores as the only energy source for your muscles.

Thus, the best way to lose fat is a combination of cardio and weightlifting.

That much is true. Cardio on the other hand isn't always the answer for burning fat. But like you said intense cardio is what helps burn the fat. But you should relegate yourself to at least 20 mins of high heart rate cardio before your body begins to start breaking down your muscles after it's already taken your fat. So those ppl you see on the treadmills for hours on end aren't really burning fat but already burning muscle.

And you need muscle to burn the fat.

You don't need to go to the gym everyday, nor do you need to spend more then an hour there either. Hell you don't even need to go to the gym with a couple of weights at home, 3 times a week is perfect. Plus you need a day in between for your muscles to rest and recover and grow. If you don't, you won't be able to do as much as you did your last work out. They're just not ready and you can damage by pushing yourself too hard.

Not to mention your body does most of it's fat burning when you're NOT working out but sitting here talking about fashion. While it's repairing itself and doing what it does, muscles are constantly burning fat. But again you need to feed those muscles to continue and that's why you eat protein.

I suggest, less heavy weights, but something that can challenge you and do supersets. Meaning lighter weights more reps, increase your power and strength over trying to pick up a something twice the size with only few reps. Granted if you want to get big, then go for it. If you want to go for lean toned muscle mass, go with the supersets.

Circuit training is also good and what I do. I do a set of 10 exercises one after another with 30 secs of rest in between. This keeps your body pumping and you switch from say squats to a bench press, always triggering a different part of your body. You don't always want to work out a certain area of your body.

Granted everyone is in love with just working out the pectorals and abs and arms, but you don't want to be lopesided. Not to mention it can also be bad if you work your front so much, it can put a strain on your muscles in the back. So keep a balance, you want to tighten everything up so everything works in one constant motion.

Another good thing is try not using a bench when you don't have too. Doing exercises while standing makes use of more muscles then say if you were sitting down.

And remember you have at the most 30 mins after a workout to feed your muscles protein otherwise your body starts to break them down for energy. The fat is always the last to go that's why it's stored. So unless you wanna fast and starve yourself in order to lose all that fat (and muscle), you better get your ass in shape. I have the type of body that gets big faster after working out, I personally don't want to get big, but for the moment the more muscle I have the more I'll burn. Once my gut is gone, I'll work out more to break down some muscle and just be tight and lean.

Eating less is not always the key. Actually eating more at the appropriate times and the right kinds of foods is more beneficial. I eat practically 6 times a day. 3 main meals 3 snacks in between. All heavy in proteins and carbs.

Those that say low to no carbs is good is not also true. It's actually good to take carbs in the morning and lunch as it takes your body longer to break them down which stops you from being hungry as it preoccupies your body. Eating to many carbs will tire your body and begin to store them as fat. Eat whole grains and such. Sandwiches are fine. You don't have to worry about calorie counting because what you're eating for the most part is beneficial to the body.

Stay away from anything with trans fats (more and more companies are getting rid of these), especially hydrogenized oils (very nasty stuff you don't want to get in you) and saturated fats. Poly and monosaturated fats are good for you.

If you choose not to take any supplements there are of course many natural sources of high proteins. Instead of powdered whey you can take ricotta cheese. Eggs and Milk is a good source of protein as well but stay away from the whole kind, and try to stick with the fat free or 1% kind.
Peanuts and all kinds of nuts are great sources of protein, especially almonds. I keep a bag with me at all times and munch on them like chips.

Fish is high in protein AND Omega 3 Acids that are good for the body. I can go on and on. Salads aren't always great. Lettuce is mainly filled with water and nothing else. Stick with Romaine lettuce, Spinach and other greens. Red meat isn't bad as long as you eat very lean cuts.

If you really want to lose weight you gotta cut out the fast foods. If you drink, try to hold yourself to 2 drinks a night. Any more and it impairs not only your judgement but your body as well and stops from breaking down fats.

This is mainly a plan for staying healthy, for eating and living. The working out side of it only helps you lose weight faster. As the more lean muscle you have, the more fat you'll burn. I hit the gym every other day, with 2 days emphasising on the abs/core and the other complete body workout.

You can tell I'm not the thinnest of ppl, as I had stopped working out for a long time, so I'm barely getting back into the workout game, but just so you know I went from weighing around 180ibs to around 155ibs (I'm trying to get down to 145 hopefully by the start of July). It can be done gentlemen (and women too!) But it also comes down to each and everyone's metabolism. Some are better then others really....those lucky bastids...

But other then that when all is said and done I still plan to eat this way since it's just healthy and all good.

If any of you have questions or what not feel free to ask. Again sorry for the longer health lesson :)

drydenimbabeeh
5th June 2007, 10:03
Creatine (by way of conversion to and from creatine phosphate) functions as part of a system based on arginine/phosphoarginine that operates in many invertebrates. The presence of this energy shuttle keeps the ATP/ADP ratio high which ensures that the free energy of ATP remains high and minimizes the loss of adenosine nucleotides, which would cause cellular dysfunction. Such high energy phosphate buffers are known as phosphagens.
I used it a couple of times and it worked really well for me.

Terzt4r
5th June 2007, 11:02
I looked around on youtube yesterday, then i saw this video from a guy in america.. He had made a 16 week video journal, of himself working out, to get that lovely sixpack.
And the whole training program is laid out on the internet, so you can follow it, and he have a lot of other very good tips, to loose fat and build muscles.

This is his homepage - www.Iwantsixpackabs.com - It's free to join as member so you can se the trainingprogram and all the other great stuff..

And he has a before and after picture, after 9 weeks, where you can see that i had really helped. And all the workout are done at home. I think it looks really great, the whole workout is supersets, so it is intense training for about half an hour, depends on how many and how long it take you to do the diffrent things.

Myself i have tryed to do the first superset, from the first week and i find it pretty hard for the body, ofc. that depends on how gut shape you are in, but since it is bodyweight training it should be pretty hard for everyone at the start..

But take a look at the site, there are many very great things in there, such as eating tips, cardio - interval training and so on, lots of great things! :D

And im actualy pretty sure, that you dont need to create a user in there if you just use the link below - :P
Http://www.Iwantsixpackabs.com/abs.html

NudieDK
5th June 2007, 18:51
Thanks for the link. It looks interesting, especially regarding the fat loss. I think I will implement some interval training in my routine now. I would like to burn some fat in the next months

Jakob
5th June 2007, 19:54
i just went running

Ghost
5th June 2007, 20:56
The Abs Diet book is also a big help and explains a lot of what I wrote in my previous post. www.absdiet.com

NudieDK
5th June 2007, 22:57
Im pretty tired now.. That deadlift is getting heavy :)

Thanks for the link Ghost.

Ghost
5th June 2007, 22:58
Anytime! I was down to 152ibs until a week ago we had like pizza 2 days in a row! Not good!

Drewbee
5th June 2007, 23:07
I'd honestly would love to bulk up a bit...im about 5 10, 140 pounds and pretty dang skinny (nothing too extreme)...I eat like a total slob...fast food everyday etc etc. I'd just like to put on a little bit of muscle here and there mostly in my upperbody. How should I go about doing this? I don't think having soccer 2-4 times a week in 100 F degree Arizona weather helps either.

BlueOctoberFan
5th June 2007, 23:18
Generally, to get bigger muscles you do higher weight for fewer reps... I don't know how any of the supplements that have been mentioned here would affect it, if that's what you're asking about, however.

Drewbee
5th June 2007, 23:24
Yeah, I guess my question is, what are the steps I should take?...working out, what I need to be taking etc etc.

Naoto the Zombie
5th June 2007, 23:25
I used to be 75kg (height is 170cm), but I lost 15kg a few years ago and now I keep 60kg (the body fat rate is normally 11%). :D

Legoland
5th June 2007, 23:27
you don't eat enough, eat more. you will gain. I've seen this before. when I bulk, I eat regular mealsabout four times aday, with smaller meals in between. like a steak, 5 regular sized potatoes and some vegetables. four times aday. eating like a slob and eating alot is'nt the same thing.

and lift weights.

and yeah, naturally loads of protein. be sure to eat(or drink) protein before and after the session, also lots of carbs directly after.

NudieDK
5th June 2007, 23:34
Anytime! I was down to 152ibs until a week ago we had like pizza 2 days in a row! Not good!

Haha.. not good. My discipline is not the best either but I will stay away from junk the next month. I want to reduced my fat percentage by loosing about 2 kg of pure fat.

I'd honestly would love to bulk up a bit...im about 5 10, 140 pounds and pretty dang skinny (nothing too extreme)...I eat like a total slob...fast food everyday etc etc. I'd just like to put on a little bit of muscle here and there mostly in my upperbody. How should I go about doing this? I don't think having soccer 2-4 times a week in 100 F degree Arizona weather helps either.

First of all. Drop the fast food every day :) A healthy diet is important. How much time do you have each week for strength training? About your bulking. If you want more weight then eat more.. it is simple as that. :)

There are some basic tips:

1. Do some basic exercises, that is heavy weight using several joints, e.g. deadlift, squat and bench press (supreme exercises). Many people want bigger muscles at the upper body, but leg training is also important. Your upper body will benefit from your lower body training.

2. Use free weights mainly instead of machines

3. Progression is important.. Dont continue with the same weight in many weeks.

4. Make the exercise in correct form. Too many people dont do that. Slow and controlled movements are important.

5. Reps are between 6-12 if you are going for mass.

That was just some few tips. Hope you can use it. Feel free to ask again.

Terzt4r
6th June 2007, 00:01
Are good way for you to build some muscle, could be by using the I Want Six Pack Abs guide.. If you follow it from week 1 to 16, you will ofc. get more that just a bit muscle, but you could just follow it until you think that it is enough, and it's easy training that you can do it home and you dont have to go out and buy tons of diffrent merchandise..
Its an easy step by step guide, and it actualy explains everything :)

But if you dont want to use a guide laid down like that, you could just go with the things other people say/said :) Heavy lifting and low rep, remember that if you want to build muscle, its heavy low rep.. For endurance training its higher rep and not that heavy :P

Well i think other people know more than me :D

And you need to eat right, that fast food isn't good at all! XD But i think some of the others in here already said that ;D

SiT
6th June 2007, 00:43
i train 5 days a week everyday different parts of the body.. keep repeting that and use heavier weights every time.. and just keep eating and take lots of protein.. anyway thats what helps for me

NudieDK
6th June 2007, 00:56
At the moment I workout 4 times a week. I use a 2-split program to ensure the mucles are stimulated two times a week. Prior to this I used a fullbody program, thus it was only necessary to train 3 times a week. However this was pretty hard :)

Ghost
6th June 2007, 01:02
That's what I do. 3 days a week with an optional intense interval workout on the weekends. I just do circuit training which at the moment is running through 2 circuits of like 10 exercises with 30secs of rest in between with a min to 2 mins rest after the first complete circuit.

Gsko
6th June 2007, 01:35
oh wow great.. thanks for NOT telling me about this new thread everybody :P

I'll read up asap tomorrow

taffetapunk
20th February 2008, 01:57
ive recently started working out at a powerlifting gym. they also train for strong man competitions and have bench press/squat/deadlift competitions there.

anyone else into powerlifting or bodybuilding

*didnt want to hijack other threads so decided to try and spark this one back up

nudieformytummy
20th February 2008, 05:44
Losing weight is easy:
- Eat less calories than your energy consumption
- Consume high protein low carb food (stay away from too much eating carb like bread, rice, pasta)
- Weight-lifting and interval cardio.. (build muscle and burn fat)
(Interval training is more effective than running for 30 mins)
maybe you just need 15 minutes of interval cardio. Cardio can boost your metabolism (rest metabolic rate). Even when you are sleeping, your body still burn calories!!
- Drink supplement (optional... but help) like protein, creatine, amino acid, etc

That's all I know....
I read that information from Men's health magazine...
hehe

taffetapunk
20th February 2008, 06:15
yeah, the head guy at my gym told me to throw away any body building mags i had
he said that for what im doing now, reading that stuff would mess me up, and i only need to concentrate on the power lifting way of doing things.

offyatree
20th February 2008, 06:59
i've always avoided going to gyms as i find that people in the gym just care about their looks and already feel proud of doing it. well, don't get offended gym people... i am just saying this in general terms, i am sure NOT everybody is like that.

instead, to get fit, i do ride my bike a lot either (commuting/road biking/mountain biking(uphill and downhill)), i do jog too sometimes, hiking is pretty fun too and it's a hella workout, you could feel your lower and upper body are working out. if you want more challenge, you could carry a backpack full of rocks or anything that makes it even challenging, i have seen people on the trails do so, insane! sometimes if i feel like going to the beach, i do jog in the sand, which is a good change imo.

as in winter time, i try to snowboard every weekend, and i do snowshoeing sometimes too which is pretty tough at some trails.

other activities that i enjoy except outdoors is swimming. swimming is the best sport i guess to tone your muscles, top to bottom. and it's also a cardio exercise as well. good for your lungs and heart.

and of course, nutritious meals, enough sleep, lots of water drinking, would be needed too.

oh yeah, stay motivated and stoked!

anyways, i am just sharing my ways to get fit other than going to the gym...
thanks!

taffetapunk
20th February 2008, 07:38
people always get awesome legs from biking

nudieformytummy
20th February 2008, 07:42
I like swimming the best... I dont like to jog haha...

Btw, offyatree. Some people who go to gym do not always want to "complete" their looks, but maybe it is their only way to get fit. Well, I admit it that many people wants to look good and have sixpack, who doesn't? Personally, having sixpack is not my primary concern...
lol.. Being healthy is the most important.
I also admit that lean muscular body looks good (unlike mine :-D ) I bought the same T-shirt with my friend and he got compliment while I'm not. His body is well-built not too muscular and not too thin... hahaha
Everything looks good on lean body, even a plain white T-shirt!!...
haha

Opeth
20th February 2008, 07:58
I work out at home. Got tired of waiting in line and listening to the shitty music at the gym so I saved up and got all the equipment I need home instead :D

taffetapunk
20th February 2008, 08:02
my new gym plays death metal so im happy :lol:

This is true and a stupid method also I might ad. People who bulk up and gain muscle/weight usually get upp weaker again once they start their lowcalorie diet again.

im not so shure thats true. you wont get weaker...you just probably wont get any stronger. but that is more for body building any how, which is more of a focus of mine. i dont want to look like those famous body builder (plus i dont think i ever could) i just want to look close

almost like those guys in the old "muscle beach party" movie of the 60's

offyatree
20th February 2008, 08:08
well i dunno... people i know that go to the gym are somewhat cocky about their look and they often show off at certain times. well i am not against them or anything, but gym is just not my thing i guess. there many other ways to get in shape and stay healthy.

Opeth
20th February 2008, 08:10
^^

Hehe yeah that sounds like some awesome workout music. I ususally listen to Rapture, metallica, Opeth some something similar to get me going, it really makes a different imo. The bulk/diet thing is something you just have take into cinsideration when setting your own goals, it mitgh work for some but I have tried it and I have never gotten consideratly stronger while bulking vs. lean diet.

What works best for me doesn't always apply to someone else. As long as you strive for health I think you are on the right track.

nudieformytummy
20th February 2008, 08:11
well i dunno... people i know that go to the gym are somewhat cocky about their look and they often show off at certain times. well i am not against them or anything, but gym is just not my thing i guess. there many other ways to get in shape and stay healthy.

Haha.... I HATE that kind of people so much.... I just want to kick them in the balls.. haha...

taffetapunk
22nd February 2008, 01:30
those guys usually arent even that strong.
which is funny

Gregory
22nd February 2008, 01:33
i used to go to the gym on occasion to work on cardio/do some light weight training...got sick of the lame attitude everyone had and just started working out more at home...plus I bike and run, so I don't really see the reasoning behind going to a gym full of closet homos who spend more time in the mirror than actually working out.

BeauIXI
22nd February 2008, 01:35
You poke half of those dudes with a pin, and all the water and creatine spills out like a pregnant woman breaking water.

I do situps, lunges, curls, jumping jacks, legups, all on my cool bathroom tiles as the steam rises from my freshly drawn bath that I look forward to ridding my skin of all the sweat in.. And I play music through the portable stereo I have there on the counter through my iPod.

And it's getting nicer out here, and like lots of people commented when I posted some outside pictures, I live by a beach, and it's got a big long promenade that runs all the way down it.. The perfect sunrise or sunset run.

Ghost
22nd February 2008, 01:36
i used to go to the gym on occasion to work on cardio/do some light weight training...got sick of the lame attitude everyone had and just started working out more at home...plus I bike and run, so I don't really see the reasoning behind going to a gym full of closet homos who spend more time in the mirror than actually working out.

Yeah very nice generalisation there. I used to do gymnastics as odd as that might sound, and although I'm not as flexible as I used to be, most people that see me stretch out always ask me about what I'm doing and how is that helpful, and in that way we trade routines and talk about other stuff.

I agree that there are a lot of losers that go that just go to show off but the majority of people in the gym are rarely like that. Least from my experience and I've been to really big popular gyms to small YMCAs.

Gregory
22nd February 2008, 01:38
Yeah very nice generalisation there.

umm...not a generalization, more so an accurate depiction of the particular gym that i went to.
never said all gyms were like that....

thank's for coming out though.

taffetapunk
22nd February 2008, 01:39

at the new gym i go to they hate those guys.
well... the "gym" i go to is a warehouse that plays cannibal corpse the whole time

actually this saturday im going to go help out at a competition there where a guy is going for the "record"
which is something like 2800 pounds split up between bench press, squat and dead lift. should be pretty cool, haha :lol:

Ghost
22nd February 2008, 01:41
And I suppose staring at yourself in the mirror for what you're wearing is much different from staring at the mirror for what you look like under those clothes...:roll:

BeauIXI
22nd February 2008, 01:41
Good god, power squats scare the crap out of me..

I get big quickly, and really, I'd rather just look svelte, like, you know, male model- not ass kicker.

Ghost
22nd February 2008, 01:43
Good god, power squats scare the crap out of me..

I get big quickly, and really, I'd rather just look svelte, like, you know, male model- not ass kicker.

you already look like an ass kicker haha!

Gregory
22nd February 2008, 01:43
And I suppose staring at yourself in the mirror for what you're wearing is much different from staring at the mirror for what you look like under those clothes...:roll:

I don't stare at myself in a mirror in a room full of people. hoping that they will catch a glimpse of my triceps....big difference.

Ghost
22nd February 2008, 01:44
I don't stare at myself in a mirror in a room full of people. hoping that they will catch a glimpse of my triceps....big difference.

Room full of people different from a forum full of people? :-D

Gregory
22nd February 2008, 01:46
Room full of people different from a forum full of people? :-D

ok sorry, i'll stop hating on the tribal arm-band/spiky haired/Tapout wearing douche-bags who occupy my local gym..because in all reality, I'm not much different...because I belong to a web community which is based around the central concepts of denim and fashion....

...right

taffetapunk
22nd February 2008, 01:46
yeah.. i like the renaissance art look.. or the muscle men from the 1960's beach party movies.
though i can totally respect todays body builders... thats a little extreme for me.

taffetapunk
22nd February 2008, 01:49
man, there seems to be a lot of venom today! haha
obviously you both have had very different experiences when it comes to gyms.
you both are probably right about your own gym.

Ghost
22nd February 2008, 01:51
ok sorry, i'll stop hating on the tribal arm-band/spiky haired/Tapout wearing douche-bags who occupy my local gym..because in all reality, I'm not much different...because I belong to a web community which is based around the central concepts of denim and fashion....

...right

....Annnnnd a gym's central concept is fitness and getting in shape. Just like this forum everyone has their own different styles some that we wouldn't agree with or even like, the gym has those certain types of people as well that seeing getting fit is different then what we see. But if they start harassing you then that's a whole different story.

Hey I think it's disgusting all around. What's even more sad is that most girls out here in California love that in guys, and of course there's plenty of them around as well :(

Ghost
22nd February 2008, 01:52
man, there seems to be a lot of venom today! haha
obviously you both have had very different experiences when it comes to gyms.
you both are probably right about your own gym.

I wish I wore my Venom shirt today :evil:

taffetapunk
22nd February 2008, 01:53
Hey I think it's disgusting all around. What's even more sad is that most girls out here in California love that in guys, and of course there's plenty of them around as well :(

I KNOW! california girls seem to have the worst taste in guys. i see incredibly hot girls with the stupidest looking guys all the time.

Ghost
22nd February 2008, 01:54
I KNOW! california girls seem to have the worst taste in guys. i see incredibly hot girls with the stupidest looking guys all the time.

Yeah mate, and they're exactly those types too, tribal buggers buffed up with their tans, lifted trucks and bro hos running after them. Least down here!

BeauIXI
22nd February 2008, 01:55
you already look like an ass kicker haha!

Maan.. :(

:lol:

Ghost
22nd February 2008, 01:57
Maan.. :(

:lol:

Least you don't look like those geezers we're talking about ;-)

BeauIXI
22nd February 2008, 02:00
I'm between the thugs and the guys on myNudies,
Muscly but skinny with a lil' more booty.

offyatree
22nd February 2008, 02:51

i really like what you said here, gregory. a bunch of homos spending their time in front of the mirror for hours and hours and eventually just for the sake of showing of muscles to the public and "COOLNESS". lame...

taffetapunk
22nd February 2008, 03:23
yeah.. but not everyone who go to gyms are like this

http://www.break.com/index/roid-head-loves-himself.html

hahahaha :lol:
this is the grossest thing ever

offyatree
22nd February 2008, 03:35
yes, like i said before, NOT everyone is like that. but there are MANY of them that are like that.

btw, that video was the grossest video ever!

adum
22nd February 2008, 03:37
i do calisthenic exercises everyday in my apartment, like push ups, sit ups, lunges, dips, etc... for 3 sets of about 10 minutes each and I'll jump rope whenever I'm home for twelve 5 minute sets. I'm usually beat by the end of the workouts. The main reason I started doing them was cause I wanted to gain some muscle so I could fit into my clothes better (I'm 5'10" and weighed like 129 when I started, I'm 137 or so now).

BeauIXI
22nd February 2008, 04:02
That's the way, man. No pain, no gain.

minoki
22nd February 2008, 06:08
I had no idea that denim heads cared about fitness so much.

for rapid weight loss, no matter how cheesy you think it is, I recommend 3 bikram's classes a week. In 2 weeks you'll see a difference. It's good for impatient people with a very high threshold for pain and suffering. A lot of suffering, but it's only for an hour and a half.

adum
22nd February 2008, 14:54
what are bikram classes?

zatoichi
22nd February 2008, 15:58
ECA-stack + cardio = extreme weightloss in pretty short time, but with a risk ;-)

andi1
22nd February 2008, 16:14
i really like what you said here, gregory. a bunch of homos spending their time in front of the mirror for hours and hours and eventually just for the sake of showing of muscles to the public and "COOLNESS". lame...

i bet you're one of the people that spends their time in front of the mirror for hours and hours and eventually just for the sake of looking in the mirror with you and your nudies

offyatree
22nd February 2008, 22:10
i bet you're one of the people that spends their time in front of the mirror for hours and hours and eventually just for the sake of looking in the mirror with you and your nudies

really??? you don't even know me..! you must be God, congratulations!

JAY-T
22nd February 2008, 22:19
really??? you don't even know me..! you must be God, congratulations!

You just make the same dumb reaction as he did.. And I quote: "a bunch of homos"

In my gym people don't staring at them selfs in the mirror, but are just busy with their work-out..

Live, and let live..

andi1
23rd February 2008, 04:54
You just make the same dumb reaction as he did.. And I quote: "a bunch of homos"

In my gym people don't staring at them selfs in the mirror, but are just busy with their work-out..

Live, and let live..

yeah. you're right.
the real people that train go in their with the mentality of a warrior and do their workout.
not staring into a vanity mirror. those people just waste space and time.

a good workout session is you go in there and do it. not just socialise.
plus fitness is important to the positive and well being to one self.

Ghost
23rd February 2008, 06:15
If you can it's a good way to meet some people especially the LADIES.

taffetapunk
23rd February 2008, 06:27
a lot of ghetto chicks work out at the gyms ive been too.
and my new powerlifting gym is a total boys club .....oh well

my serch for a punk rock girl next door continues :-)

BeauIXI
23rd February 2008, 06:32
I used to do yoga in front of the fireplace every morning before school.. 'Never felt better.

You warriors should give it a shot.. It's really revitalizing.

I'm considering the Bikram's, Minoki, but it's soo costly!!

And crowded these days, hoo boy.

minoki
23rd February 2008, 11:05
what are bikram classes?

google image it. You'll see, and you probably wont want to go because it's kinda gross. It's basically hatha yoga in a room that's heated to a temperature I don't even want to know.

And yes, it's not cheap BeauIXI, but for me it's worth it. It's definitely not for everyone.

BeauIXI
23rd February 2008, 13:09
No, not for everyone.. I'll wait for some fanatic to give me a gift card or just eventually become an instructor there, hah.

Hey, have you seen those bamboo yoga pants they make? Dang those're fine!

offyatree
23rd February 2008, 13:12
bamboo yoga pants? any pics, beau??

BeauIXI
23rd February 2008, 13:22
Lemme' see here..

http://www.turninglife.com/mens-black-bamboo-lounge-pants-p-496.html

That's all I could really find on the internet.. But supposedly it's like, the very best material. Sturdy and get this: softer than silk?

offyatree
23rd February 2008, 13:27
they kinda look like regular yoga pants, but probably with some better material.. i bet they won't rip easily due to super stretch and elasticity

BeauIXI
23rd February 2008, 13:29
You're probably right.

I already have some silk yoga pants, and they have no give whatsoever. 'Glad they're super baggy.

offyatree
23rd February 2008, 13:39
if you are interested in doing a hot yoga, there's a good yoga place that i know in yaletown called "westcoast hot yoga", few girls i know go there and they have smoking hot bodies.

Regular Ralph
23rd February 2008, 16:27
Training 3 days a week at home with an optional workout thrown in the weekend. Sometimes going to the gym but I prefer training at home, more relaxt.

adum
23rd February 2008, 19:36
yea i'm considering taking a yoga class, if for nothing else than meeting beautiful babies ;)

aprilguy
23rd February 2008, 19:58
Yesterday I went to the gym for the first time in over six months.

I don't like going there, I don't like the loud music, I don't like the repetitiveness of it. But I need to do it - having developed a serious lower back problem again, and having to stand a lot for my job. I've tried yoga, but I'd rather keep moving when it hurts than having to relax "in the pain".
I remember the first time I went there, put off by all the muscle queens (no homophobia here btw) and the attitudes. It took me some time to find out that those were simply the ones drawing attention. Now that I was more relaxed with the whole concept, I also noticed the girl from the organic grocery around the corner lifting weights, and that most of the staff is very unpretentious and professional.
What I mean to say is that you don't need to like the other people in there. A collegue, who is a lot into working out, compared it to a library; full of busy people all there for their own purpose.

It's not like a bar or a club, where you go because you like the crowd.

BlueOctoberFan
23rd February 2008, 20:09
That's a pretty good analogy, with the library. Everyone is really just there to do their own thing, so you can't concern yourself too much with what everyone else is doing. Just find something you enjoy, and rock on.

Ghost
23rd February 2008, 22:02
Yesterday I went to the gym for the first time in over six months.

I don't like going there, I don't like the loud music, I don't like the repetitiveness of it. But I need to do it - having developed a serious lower back problem again, and having to stand a lot for my job. I've tried yoga, but I'd rather keep moving when it hurts than having to relax "in the pain".
I remember the first time I went there, put off by all the muscle queens (no homophobia here btw) and the attitudes. It took me some time to find out that those were simply the ones drawing attention. Now that I was more relaxed with the whole concept, I also noticed the girl from the organic grocery around the corner lifting weights, and that most of the staff is very unpretentious and professional.
What I mean to say is that you don't need to like the other people in there. A collegue, who is a lot into working out, compared it to a library; full of busy people all there for their own purpose.

It's not like a bar or a club, where you go because you like the crowd.

Exactly right!

BeauIXI
23rd February 2008, 23:01
There you go, man, there you go.

I always find it's best to have a buddy to back you up and to do two-person workouts.

My best friend and I, in high school, would hit the gym in the mezzanine called "Club Marriott" and do about an hour and a half every Monday Wednesday and Friday. It was great, because we'd be the only kids in there until the rugby team came in and started giving us pointers, haha. But my favorite was the abs. We'd both get ab balls and kneel on top of them, then get a heavy medicine ball and face each other. One of us would lift it over the head and behind the back, then hurl it full force at the other. It would knock you off balance so all you could do to compensate was to rearrange your torso and your legs with only your abs in order to stay upright. There were others, too, but that was the general concept. I don't think my abs had ever looked nicer.

'Anybody every try out handstand pushups?

offyatree
2nd December 2008, 06:46
has any of you(guys) tried yoga? i have been googling yoga lately. share your experience if you have done or currently doing yoga. any types of yoga.

nudie4life
2nd December 2008, 14:30
yeh i have tried handstand pushups.. prety hardcore stuff... their prety much a bodyweight version of a shoulder press.. and i guess it helps some of your stabiliser muscles.. i would do it more often but they are just to inconvenient as you need someone to help you stay straight..

Acetate
2nd December 2008, 15:20
Just learn how to do a handstand/handwalk, then you'll be able to do it by yourself ;) .

zatoichi
2nd December 2008, 20:48
???, can't you just do them against the wall? That's how I do them...

xxhalcyonxx
8th December 2008, 20:17
I once heard from my biomechanics lecturer, most leg exercises hurt the knee and problems may arise at a later age. He said it's best to do it in the gym. Say I don't frequent the gym, what should I do at home to make my thighs and calves smaller and look better?

xZAGx
8th December 2008, 20:35
xxhalcyonxx: My friend, I'm not so sure I would trust your lecturer on this one. When done correctly, legitimate leg exercises (squat, deadlift, straight leg deadlift, etc) should never hurt your knees. I've been squatting for 7 years, and my knees are fantastic.

There is no magic way to make your thighs and calves "smaller" per se... but if you don't go to the gym you can still get a perfect home workout by going things like air squats, tuck jumps, lunges, split jumps, running stairs, etc... or just go outside and sprint! If you gain some muscle in your legs, it will help your whole body look better, because muscle mass uses energy throughout the day, even when you aren't working out. Building muscle will help you burn off fat from your entire body! If you gain some muscle, use smart dieting, and stick to it, you'll see improvements.

zatoichi
8th December 2008, 21:00
And if nothing helps there is always ephedrine to back you up :-)

xxhalcyonxx
8th December 2008, 21:36
Thanks for the tips. Initially I just did exercises I can find for the legs until he told the class that legs exercises like duck walk, star jump, even stairs could deteriorate something in the knee. He then moved on to having knee problems when reaching old age due to stress and strain caused when younger or poor bones. So I just got kind of worried as I did those when i was younger. He did urge the class to go to the gym though, saying the equipments there had been studied upon and are safe to use. Since I don't have the habit of going to the gym (I normally do calisthenics work out at home, the upper body), so now I am just looking for safe leg exercises to make my body more proportional.

offyatree
13th December 2008, 09:55
hey all, winter's here for us in the northern hemisphere, what kind of winter training you do in order to stay fit and active? gym activities are not counted.

self edge
13th December 2008, 10:47
snowboarding and hockey for me. plus i love running in cold weather, just put on the sweats, headband and eye of the tiger and i can go for miles :mrgreen:

lurk mode
13th December 2008, 21:19
one my p.e. class in high school ends this semester I am going to get into running and working out on my own, I am excited!

DixonLi
31st December 2008, 22:20
Not sure if this question has already been answered anywhere but,

I am looking to basically slim down, I'm not necessarily overweight, but at the same time I would say I'm Definitely not thin nor fit. (5"9 170-175lbs 17 years old). Like I said before, I'm looking to lose about 20-30 lbs or at least look thinner. I would do the conventional running up and down stairs, jogging etc but I am worried that will increase my calf size. My calves are about 15.5 inches at their largest spot, I already have short legs (I wear a size 30-32 inseam) and having even larger calves would accentuate this.

What are some exercises I could do that would help me slim down, but at the same time either reduce my calf size or at least keep about the same?

I know there is some fat on my calves, but I'm really just paranoid that my already over sized calves will get even bulkier if I do certain exercises.

Acetate
1st January 2009, 11:40
What about swimming? You can never go wrong with swimming.

DixonLi
2nd January 2009, 00:46
As much as I would love to go, I live in Utah, USA meaning outdoor pools are not open until the summer and indoor pool membership is too pricey. Any alternative exercises that I could do during winter?

offyatree
11th January 2009, 13:35
i just found a new fun winter activity, snowshoeing. try to carry a 15kg backpack and walk quickly on snow. you could produce enough sweat to satisfy someone's thirst. great for balancing exercise as well.

As much as I would love to go, I live in Utah, USA meaning outdoor pools are not open until the summer and indoor pool membership is too pricey. Any alternative exercises that I could do during winter?

sex. all year round, indoor or outdoor. does not matter.

lemmy
11th January 2009, 14:09
What about swimming? You can never go wrong with swimming.

I am going to swim today. very healthy but so boring to me...

i just found a new fun winter activity, snowshoeing. try to carry a 15kg backpack and walk quickly on snow. you could produce enough sweat to satisfy someone's thirst. great for balancing exercise as well.

15kg is a LOT! what do you have to carry? A 15 kg backpack can be enough for a 3 weeks trip to me...:lol:

offyatree
11th January 2009, 20:35
i didn't say i carry 15kg when i snowshoe, but i carry a 3 liter camelbak reservoir, bananas, normal shoes for post activity, jeans, and a mini shovel. i've seen some people who wanted more challenge carry unnecessary things in their pack while doing this activity.

Acetate
12th January 2009, 18:34
I am going to swim today. very healthy but so boring to me...

Did you do it for fitness purposes? I have to admit swimming alone at the pool bores me as hell too, it's fine with a mate to "compete" with.

Running alone is boring too but not so much though.

Opeth
12th January 2009, 19:10
Why do something that you find boring?

lemmy
12th January 2009, 19:21
cause it makes me feel good after.

offyatree
12th January 2009, 19:34
the gym is boring.

Opeth
12th January 2009, 19:40
cause it makes me feel good after.

Ok. Training can't always be fun but it sure does make one feel good afterwards.

nudiepunkmajorna
12th January 2009, 20:16
i find the gym so fun. and you get a great looking body if you train and eat the right way. but the anabolic people can be a bit annoying...

NudieDK
12th January 2009, 20:32
I have just started with some weigth training again. Haven't trained much the last year.. It will take some time to regain the mass I have lost :-)

nudiepunkmajorna
15th January 2009, 19:22
the mass comes back pretty quickly...just train hard