PDA

View Full Version : does dry denim EVER stop stretching?

rolaids
25th May 2007, 03:42
man, i am getting frustrated. i keep buying jeans and they keep stretching out. i get them taken in by a tailor and they stretch back out. i give them a hot soak and they stretch right back out again. what's the secret? don't wear them so hard? buy them so you can barely do them up when you first slide them on? i almost don't want to wear my dry jeans out of fear that they'll stretch out and not fit well anymore, which certainly defeats the whole purpose of buying dry denim. :cry:

loste
25th May 2007, 03:46
size down then if it streches so much that it gets too big. Always consider streching when you buy dry denim. :)

rolaids
25th May 2007, 04:06
i was! granted i did lose a lot of weight between when i bought the slim jims and now, but with the new standards i sized down two sizes. i just didn't expect stretching of four inches. i do have a pair of slim jim black blacks that fit perfectly--size 29x34. these haven't stretched much at all, i assume because they're a prewash. if i were to buy another pair of dry japans, should i go for a 28 or perhaps even a 27 waist?

bilmaga
25th May 2007, 04:08
Its kind of strange with dry denim. No matter how tight, I buy them, they all stretch to the same. I measured my nudies that are size 28 & 29 that have been worn alot. Both waist sizes are now the same. I think they stretch as far as they need to on your body.

brick_grocer
25th May 2007, 07:13
Its kind of strange with dry denim. No matter how tight, I buy them, they all stretch to the same. I measured my nudies that are size 28 & 29 that have been worn alot. Both waist sizes are now the same. I think they stretch as far as they need to on your body.

yeah, that's a good point, and maybe the main point. they will stretch exactly as far as the difference between their tagged sizes and your actual body size. it's kind of like asking "why does every sofa i buy keep getting these ass-shaped imprints where i sit?" still, if it screws up the fit, i.e. slim becomes baggy or just strange, you might wanna consider different models, or always wearing a belt. :P

rolaids
25th May 2007, 13:42
hmm...makes sense! both my pairs have stretched out to a 34 waist though i'm more like a 30. i think they just keep stretching slowly and falling further down my hips. i do wear a belt but i guess it isn't helping too much. wearing them for nine hours a day at work will stretch them out further and faster than wearing them merely for leisure. maybe i should stop wearing them to work :shock: or stick to prewashes.

Lou2006
26th May 2007, 11:09
my andewhalls have only stretched so far, and i would like them to stretch futher! sometimes they make my stomach sore from pushing on my bladder :? :roll:

501lover
26th May 2007, 23:09
My own stretching experience with my RRDS is, thank heavens, not so extreme. Stretched they have, for sure, but I would estimate not even a full size.
I sympathise, since I love my denim tight/very tight. How you manage to have them stretched that extremely is a mystery to me. Would be a shame, though, to go only with perwashes. Dry denim just is the real thing (for me).

Dexstar
26th May 2007, 23:43
its not just dry denim... all denim will stretch if you go long lengths of times without washing

and they will only stretch where pressure is like your thighs, seat, waist, etc.
basicaly everywhere from the knee up

but they do stop stretching... like some of you guys said they all stop at the same point... which depends on your body

basicaly the answer is yes, they will stop stretching... but there is no stopping them from getting to this point, unless you wash often

Dexstar
26th May 2007, 23:47
ive also heard that weight of the denim and weave tenion help determine the amount of stretch... iron hearts for example are 21 oz. and very tightly weaved... they apparently dont stretch as easily... maybe you should look into a pair of those

juan_bernado
27th May 2007, 13:21
it depends also on the way you wear your jeans. if you were them very low it stretches much in waist and thigh, but if you wear them high it stretches less, in my experience.

jan

cameland
27th May 2007, 14:20
I think what you ran into though was APC's just stretching like no tomorrow. They are known to stretch 2-3 sizes and are sized so huge that you can easily size down 3 and feel comfortable in them. I don't think many other dry jeans have that ability like APC's to stretch so much, it probably has to do with having a low weight and loose weave.

Ande's jeans are meant to be jet loomed and tightly woven made to counter the whole stretching thing but have been known to stretch an inch or a bit more.
I don't find it to be an issue though if i buy the right size, there must be a limit, it would be crazy to think otherwise lol.

bilmaga
27th May 2007, 18:56
If there wasn't a limit to stretching, your size 30's would stretch to a 40 :lol:

As I said earlier, they will only stretch as much as they need to. If the denim isn't under any tension, it has no need to stretch.

Tiro
27th May 2007, 20:06
If there wasn't a limit to stretching, your size 30's would stretch to a 40 :lol:

and it would make sizes totally useless, wich would make getting Japanese denim sooooo much easier... :wink:

bilmaga
27th May 2007, 20:13
Yeah, one size fits all jeans. They stretch as needed. I think we're on to something..... :lol:

Tiro
27th May 2007, 20:29
damn, we might become frekking rich and go and live in the bahamas 8)
let's think about this, contact a Japanese denim factory and ask if they could make one size fits all fabric! :twisted:

bilmaga
27th May 2007, 20:34
Lets do it :P

Hip flares will be a thing of the past (no pun intended) :lol:

rolaids
28th May 2007, 00:00
its not just dry denim... all denim will stretch if you go long lengths of times without washing

and they will only stretch where pressure is like your thighs, seat, waist, etc.
basicaly everywhere from the knee up

but they do stop stretching... like some of you guys said they all stop at the same point... which depends on your body

basicaly the answer is yes, they will stop stretching... but there is no stopping them from getting to this point, unless you wash often

well my SJBBs size 29 waist haven't really stretched at all, and i'd quite like them to at least a bit! kind of the opposite problem of my dry japans.

it depends also on the way you wear your jeans. if you were them very low it stretches much in waist and thigh, but if you wear them high it stretches less, in my experience.
jan

with my apcs i started out wearing them slightly higher than i normally do to compensate for the snugness and the length of the inseam. slowly and surely they just stretched and fell lower down my hips.