PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed for video

cameland
4th May 2007, 16:15
This is probably going to be a useless topic but....

As you may know i have a blog but most interesting is this video my friend posted that hes been doing with Paul Andreovski an australian stuntman/actor.

His profile is here
http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/people.asp?id=5719

This video took them like 3 weeks to make and it features my friend John (hes the guy who appears double in the cameland banner) and his cousin Jason battling away for a good 15 seconds. This is only a practice though and hopefully we will see the full thing soon.

You can see the video on my blog - should be the latest post
www.cameland.net

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EewdjGynUE

tell me what you guys think.

But just to make it a more meaningful thread here are some videos

Some interesting things come out of my parents karaoke stash so heres a Cambodian black eyed peas cover - my humps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDYW4dI7iMg

And this japanese flash mob thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj0Ma2CsHME

sunpup
5th May 2007, 22:38
Checked it out---looks pretty real, as good as any fight scene in the cinema. Wish I were that limber! I guess they added in the sound.

Cross-Hatch
5th May 2007, 23:57
Good work. I especially appreciate the way that, in some spots, the camera person moves the camera in rhythm with the strikes of the fight sequence. It adds another "layer" to the scene that would'nt be present if the camera were simply stationary.

bilmaga
6th May 2007, 00:01
Looks cool!. Reminds me of the scene in the matrix when neo learns to fight.

cameland
6th May 2007, 11:23
haha im glad you guys like it, ill pass the message onto them, they said it was probably the hardest thing they had to do; fighting and acting. The guy who filmed it was a pro already in the industry though. When the whole vid is made ill make sure to post it here.

Ghost
6th May 2007, 11:30
Shots are well placed but too much camera movement. You want to keep static shots and let the action do all the movement. If the action will take place in a certain spot, have the camera composition or positioned there first so the action moves there. While ideally you can pan towards it, the action moves to fast causing a jerking motion of the camera which can be disorienting to the viewer. While someone mentioned it added another layer to the scene, while most crews have dollies to pan to control their movement we can't and tend to sort of reel back in. Camera could have been further away as well but those are usually saved for the beginning and end as establishing and ending shots.

Overall good shot placement, and just so you know there is a 180 rule, where you stick to moving the camera only in 180 degrees. While this rule is often broken, it's rarely done well, so for beginners it's good to stick to this rule that way the viewers will not get confused or lost should they be watching one actor and the angle changes to the opposite side and they are lost thinking one is the other.

Great choreography by the way. I did a sword fighting video a while back and that took a long time to choreograph, especially since we didn't have the luxury of using rubber swords, though we did practice with wooden ones there's always a huge amount of precaution when fighting with anything.

kolourhero
6th May 2007, 11:32
aahha awesome

Epilogue
6th May 2007, 11:54
Yeah very dynamic and when it comes to the sound Matrix orientated, hehe. Looks kewl.

cameland
6th May 2007, 11:55
wow ghost you seem to know a lot about this kinda stuff? is this your job or something?

Yeah i found it a little weird how it switched more than 180 degrees but then again i don't think the guy filming it wanted anyone to appose his way since hes already in the big movies and all but i will try to pass the message down to him for the final piece.

loste
6th May 2007, 12:04
very good coreography :D

Ghost
6th May 2007, 19:50
wow ghost you seem to know a lot about this kinda stuff? is this your job or something?

Yeah i found it a little weird how it switched more than 180 degrees but then again i don't think the guy filming it wanted anyone to appose his way since hes already in the big movies and all but i will try to pass the message down to him for the final piece.

Yeah you can kinda say that heh. Right now I work in visual effects though mainly I'm working as a conceptual and motion graphics designer.
Part of it is school training and the rest is lots of research and study and experience working with other filmmakers.