PDA

View Full Version : Soaking, thrifting and dope fades...I have questions for all

kingpin
18th April 2007, 09:57
Hey,
I'm new here, so I appologize if I am posting questions that have been asked/answered previously.

First, let me say, I do not own a pair of Nudies yet. The retail price of them in Canadian stores is out of my price league (in excess of $300). Instead, I own a pair of dry Citizens of Humanity. I may order Ralfs either off the net (does Revolve really offer 30% off to first time buyers?), or else get my parents to buy me a pair when they are in Italy this summer. Which do you guys think will be cheeper?

I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on showering in your jeans (opposed to soaking them). I live in a res that doesn't have tubs and I'm not going to go buy a bucket. Do you think it will have the same effect?
Also, I'm unsure of the advantages of getting the jeans wet are, if any. I know that they will shrink with hot water, and possibly elivate some of the smell, but will it help to speed the fading process? I wouldn't mind the jeans to be a little tighter, as they have expanded a little since purchase, but if it will mess up the combs/fading, I'll wait. I have worn my drys for a total of 113 days in a row now (sometimes not all day, but I would average 8 hours/day... every day since Christmas), and still haven't noticed a huge amount of fading. There is definatley some, but compared to some I see posted after just 3 months sometimes? Forget about it. I realise that this may be attributed to the fact that the denim Citizens used may not be as responsive as Nudie's, but would like to quicken the contrast and fading if possible.

Answers to any/all of the questions above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

brick_grocer
18th April 2007, 11:15
hi there! i asked revolve if they would offer a discount and they said no. where did you see that they offer a 30% discount? either way, context clothing had a post on here offering a discount to mynudies members, i think it was 25%. very niiiice.

about trying to shrink your jeans in the shower, i haven't tried, but haven't had to. i have a couple pairs of nudies, and some sugarcanes, but they were one-washed, not raw, so shrinkage already done. maybe some other people can offer their opinions there, but from what i've read here and on superfuture, they will only shrink if you toss 'em in extremely hot water for several hours. still, not 100% on that... :P

cameland
18th April 2007, 11:21
yeah you could probably shrink them by putting them in the shower but then you may face problems of it creasing differently than it wold normally. I'd suggest doing it in your sink or something and letting them dry completey before wearing them but im sure other guys on here can tell you whats best

bilmaga
18th April 2007, 15:00
I wouldn't think that you would get much shrinking from showering in them. Unless you stood in the shower for hours with the hottest water you can get out of the tap. But hey, it's worth a shot.

cameland
18th April 2007, 15:31
yes bilmaga has a point. showering in your jeans is something you do when you have unsanforised denim that you do not want to shrink past your body's dimensions.

kingpin
18th April 2007, 22:54
Aight,
thanks guys. I'll look into purchasing from Context, unless Revolves will be so kind as to grant me with the 30% off. (I saw that in another forum. Just search revolveclothing in the search field and it's a topic on whether they are reliable, which apparently they are very much so. Some say that the discount doesn't apply to Nudies though. I guess I'll find out soon. I'll look into it after my exams are done.)

Bil, I noticed you're in Canada, how can you guys afford so many damn pairs of 300 dollar jeans? I don't suppose you're a starvin college kid like myself haha.

To ellaborate on my previous quesiton, does soaking cause the indigo to bleed from the creases, making the jean's contrast more apparent? Or is soaking's only real purpose to (minimally) shrink the jeans. My main reasons for soaking are to increase contrast and to hopefully get rid of some of the smell from the sweat and dirt these jeans have accumulated over the past few months. Should I bother?

Also, what would you guys recommend for my first pair of Nudies. Ralfs or Jims, or something else entirely. I notice from the pics there is a huge variation in the fits of Jims as some are super tight and others are a fit I would possibly wear. The problem lies in the fact that I have, what I would consider a skinny waist (32-33) but I am athletic and a bit of a gym rat, so my legs are pretty muscular. Im worried about sizing up to a 33 in Jims and having the waist too big. But if I go to a 32, the thighs will probably be tight. I'm not a fan of the jeans that look like they belong on women, but I also don't really care for baggy. I assumed the Ralfs DS in a 32 are my best bet. (I tried them on in Holts, and they are a bit tight in the waist, but I now see how raw stretches out nearly a full size in the waist.) Your opinions? Any other brands I should consider in my decision (it's a big one as I'm probably only able to afford one pair at this point). I have several (8-10?) pairs of jeans, probably none of them would get the approval of you bunch as the Citizens are my only drys, and many of them are similar in colour, so I'm looking for something different and dope. I looked at Kicking Mule, they look pretty nice also. Acne is gaining popularity in the highly couture shops of Vancouver, but the only model I've seen pics of is the Mic, and it looks a little skinny for my liking.

One more question, I promise it'll be the last haha. Is there really any advantage of Selvage. I know what it is (I think), but I'm a little unsure of it's advantages. It is structurally any stronger, or is it just to boast that you're using very amount of the denim fabric to make a jean? I know there will be basically no fraying on the seams, but that's on the inside, and when it is surged, the edge shouldn't fray much anywyas (I have never had problems with my normal jeans frayin, nor do I foresee it as a problem if they were to). Is the actual denim tigher woven to make it heavier/stronger? I suppose if it was heavier, it would fade better?

K, time to give my fingers a rest... long post haha. Again, thanks for your previous responses

ihayano
18th April 2007, 23:45
its true the Revolve discount does not apply to Nudies and some other brands. I've ordered from Revolve anyway tho, they have fast, free shipping and great customer service.

loste
19th April 2007, 01:00
get a ralf :D those were my first dry nudies, and a great pair to start on.
I wear a 32/32 in ralfs and 33/32 in jims. But i whis i had sized down further in my ralfs since they streched alot, really a lot. My jims not so much. But get your true size, have to remember that they will shrink after you wash them.

cameland
19th April 2007, 03:18
To ellaborate on my previous quesiton, does soaking cause the indigo to bleed from the creases, making the jean's contrast more apparent? Or is soaking's only real purpose to (minimally) shrink the jeans.

From my experience soaking doesn't do much for nudies as far as contrast goes but yeah they will help with the stink and shrinking it back down to how they were when new. It really depends on the state of your jeans when you soak them.

Also, what would you guys recommend for my first pair of Nudies. Ralfs or Jims, or something else entirely.

I think asking this question on a nudie-forum is gonna get you a slightly biased answer but i think many of the guys here have quite a love for other denim companies also! in the meantime suggest what key features of the denim you would like?

durability?
exceptional fade? colourfast?
what kind of fit? tight, slim, regular or baggy?
price?

One more question, I promise it'll be the last haha. Is there really any advantage of Selvage.

On a technical sense selvedge has no advantage over modern methods, it is purely aesthetic from a denim purists point of view. Selvedge on its own does little for improved quality or contruction but selvedge denim is usually associated with higher levels of denim quality. Such things you should read about are double ringspun vs open ended, rope dying vs hank dying, synthetic vs natural indigo, 9oz vs 21oz* :shock: and also many other things such as the different cottons used (Zimbabwe, Texas, etc)

Some jeans also have exceptional construction with hand felled seams, hidden riviting, full/half lined back pockets along with other unique features like snake skin patches, sterling silver rivits and so forth.

*21oz denim is on the extreme side of things, most "high quality" denim is between 13-15oz

Well i hope that helps! i am so glad you searched before you asked :D

brick_grocer
19th April 2007, 03:38
wow, such helpful responses. imagine if someone asked this question on superfuture! :?

bilmaga
19th April 2007, 03:41
Yeah, Cameland seems to take the cake for most helpful (and detailed) responses.

cameland
19th April 2007, 04:04
Yeah, Cameland seems to take the cake for most helpful (and detailed) responses.

ahhh thank you bilmaga, your kind words mean a lot :)

kingpin
19th April 2007, 04:17
Solid,
thanks for the advice guys, especially cameland. Much appreciated. I have tried to look into as many of those as possible, but information on the net is always either vague, seems to be negated by another site's description etc. I'll definitely try to get some other info on the topics you posted about. FYI, if anyone cares, Context has a good definition of Selvedge denim, and cameland's post really helps clarify.

"On a technical sense selvedge has no advantage over modern methods, it is purely aesthetic from a denim purists point of view. Selvedge on its own does little for improved quality or contruction but selvedge denim is usually associated with higher levels of denim quality." - cameland.

I can't say I've ever really had much experience with jeans failing, so as far as durability, I really don't know how big a factor it is. I generally bike, play other sports in shorts or sweatpants. Perhaps this is why I haven't experienced much fading in my jeans despite wearing them a fair bit. The only time I've ever ripped a pair was hopping a fence to sneak into a concert. Karma.

I'd like to keep the price under or around 250 cdn, if possible. I see that if I order from Context, the RRDS should be roughly 240 cdn without shipping/tax.

I like a fairly average fit. Nothing baggy, but not skin tight either. I'll try to find fits/cuts that fancy my interest and post them. I generally wear Citizens, Sevens (a little overdone/ post fad I know, but they're still good jeans), Lucky Brand or Volcom (cheep and nice). I'm tryin to think about what other jeans I got in my closet. I also used to wear the shit outa these jeans I got in Italy for like 50 euros from Sisley. I would say that my style is similar to Hugo Boss' lines (most of my other pants aside from jeans are Boss). Slightly fitted/tapered, slender, but not skinny per say. So, no TF, or SSK.

Contrast and fading are fairly important, but I don't much care for too much contrast. (Some jeans that I've seen that have these combs that go up the entire back of the leg, or whiskers that make your jeans look like an accordian, don't do it for me personally. That's just me, don't take it personally if that's your thing. Represent what you like.

I am actually in the process of makin some of my own jeans. If I ever finish them I'll post pics. So far they look pretty good, I must say (for a first time sewing project). I picked up some Levi's Dry Denim at this fabric store near my place and went to town. One thing I can tell you, it really makes you appreciate the work that goes into the garments you buy. I've also done a fair bit of silkscreening, so nice tshirts with something different to offer always impress me. Really like some of the t's/shirts Nudies makes.

Anyways, I'm sure you'll hear more from me soon, but I should get to work. Thank you for the help cameland, and everyone else who replied.

bilmaga
19th April 2007, 04:27
Check cultizm.com as well. They have the RRDS for $200 with free shipping. Just request a low value on the package and to be marked as a "gift" so you don't get hit with duties

kingpin
19th April 2007, 04:36
Good call. Sounds like that's what I'll do. Thanks Bilmaga

... so much for gettin back to work

cameland
19th April 2007, 09:57
Solid,
thanks for the advice guys, especially cameland. Much appreciated. I have tried to look into as many of those as possible, but information on the net is always either vague, seems to be negated by another site's description etc.

Nah, don't sweat it, everyone has to start their denim know how somewhere.
But in regards to finding information, you probably wouldnt get much from google or the like. Your best bet would have been to hit up the superfuture superdenim encyclopedia
http://supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php?t=12729

I'd suggest if you were gonna get real serious about denim you read at least the all the topics in the first post including the maintenance threads and the "technical aspects" threads. Very informative, very long and very time consuming but very much worth it. The readings of the brands may not be so useful in a general sense but to your particular situation it might be but yeah , thats a a lot of reading :|

I can't say I've ever really had much experience with jeans failing, so as far as durability, I really don't know how big a factor it is. I generally bike, play other sports in shorts or sweatpants. Perhaps this is why I haven't experienced much fading in my jeans despite wearing them a fair bit.

This is something you may have to consider, if you have one pair of dry denim and you are wearing them every single day ; sweat and get dirty things all over it, the more it will weaken the denim. Wearing your jeans everyday puts a lot more stress on to them rather than wearing 3 different pairs a week and thus increase the chances of your jeans "failing" (haha). Some or maybe many raw denim enthusiasts have 2 project jeans (possibly more) for this reason, as alternating them can give them a slightly longer life while still achieving a decent fade.

Personally i have simultaneous projects because i can't stop myself from buying some jeans but yeah some can tough it out with just 1 or 2 a year.

I'd like to keep the price under or around 250 cdn, if possible. I see that if I order from Context, the RRDS should be roughly 240 cdn without shipping/tax.

Pricing of nudies i find to be pretty different around the world. Nudies are quite expensive in asia and the USA. So you can find bargains trowling through European webshops where they are cheaper. so kitchener, cultizm volls etc. The way i usually buy most of my jeans is 2nd hand on superfuture or here on mynudies. Sometimes you can bargain and it can work out alright.

I like a fairly average fit. Nothing baggy, but not skin tight either.

Hrmm well since you want an average fit, I think I'd point you towards average joes since they are pretty average yet slim fitting. Other options are obviously the Even Steven or Straight Sven. The Ralf is a straight bootcut so i dunno how into bootcuts you are.

As far as Japanese denim goes i think your options are pretty open at 250cdn. You could look into a pair of skulls 5507 or SDA 103. I think they are reasonably priced even with a middle man. Higher end stuff like samurai tends to be more than 300. Btw im just using my aussie money logic which means im considering 1aud to be 1cdn

Contrast and fading are fairly important, but I don't much care for too much contrast.

I'm just gonna go out and say that japanese jeans fade faster, last longer and generally look cooler in the end when worn in. But european dry denim (nudie, apc etc..) fade quite differently to japanese denim IMO. The denim is lighter in weight which leads to more defined honeycombs and is less textured which gives a kinda flat looking fade i guess [hard to explain] and sometimes looks almost shiny during the first 4 months.

I may as well throw in some pictures

All from www.indigofan.com I suggest you check out this guy's blog, he takes friggin awesome pictures.

Nudie Denim (sweden)
http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/7383/nudemacroaw5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Samurai Denim (japan)
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/8618/samuraimacroth0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Needless to say its quite hairy and more textured which leads to a different kind of fading.
http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/1395/samuraimacro2ka2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Fading wise if youre gonna go nudie, i have found personally that they fade very slow and do not hold up as well when you wash them many times. I think the Even Steven fades very fast though, the denim is very very stiff and rigid and seems to break in very quickly, similiar to that of the greycast but my RRDS fades so slow :(

okay i don't think i really answered your questions properly but i hope that helps. PM me if you have any specific questions and i'll point you in the right direction.

wow that is such a long post, sorry guys

kingpin
20th April 2007, 03:14
Damn dude, really appreciate all the knowledge you're sharing and hard work you've gone to.

I don't have much time right now, but I'll definitely look into all of those. I'm kinda awe struck that a complete stranger, from around the world would go to that kinda effort. Really.

I will post some pics of jeans I like the fit of in a little bit, and maybe you guys can give some advice as to what you think will look dope. Maybe I'll also include of me wearin a pair of mine to show you how I'd like it to end up. I'm inexperienced with dry denim, and my first pair has stretched a little. They still look alright though.

Thanks again cameland.

cameland
20th April 2007, 06:22
hahaha no problems buddy, I'm sure i'll be linking people to this thread many times in the future so its at everyones gain.

I'll look forward to seeing your pictures ;)

nt54
20th April 2007, 09:27
I like a fairly average fit. Nothing baggy, but not skin tight either...Slightly fitted/tapered, slender, but not skinny per say. So, no TF, or SSK.

As cameland said, sounds to me like you want Even Steven or Straight Sven - possibly Average Joe, but that really has yet to be seen because it just came out and no one really knows what they fit like just yet.

kingpin
1st May 2007, 11:38
Hey guys,
so I tried on a pair of Ralfs (DS) in a store today in a 32/34, and thought they looked great, even got complements from others in the store on the jeans, (but people were confused as to why they looked like they were made from blue cardboard). So I think that's the fit I'm going to go for. Despite it being 'in Vogue', I just can't wear a tapered leg as a) I'm kinda tall and b) have big feet (12-13s US) which would ultimatley make me look like a clown/pirate with narrow calved pants and skinny shoes (converse look pretty strange in anything over a size 10, IMO). Bootcut seems to be the way to go for me.

Just wondering about denim. Do you think it's worth it to fork out the extra doe on the DS? I noticed that the colour is really nice, but are there other options I should consider? I saw, what I seem to remember being, the Organic drys, and they looked pretty comparable in colour. Any thoughts/experiences on these? Also, do the Ralfs come in a Japanese denim? Cameland said the Japanese jeans appears to be higher quality, and I would be interested in getting a pair constructed with said denim if it were available.

Are there other cuts/brands I should look at if I like the Ralfs? Possibly a Jap brand. If anyone from Vancouver knows of any stores that sell Skull or some of the other popular ones where I could go try on a pair, please let me know.

Also, a little unrelated, what does 'hidden rivets' mean? I've tried searching for it, but still can't decipher exactly what it is. I'm assuming it's a rivet that you can't see from just looking at the jeans, but then what is the point of them, and where are they usually located?

Okay, another completely unrelated, but I'm also considering buying a new wallet. There's no way I'm paying $400 for a wallet, but some of those leather wallets I've seen posted in the photo gallery look unreal. I think the material is called saddle leather? Anyone know of a good company that makes a relatively thin (maybe bifold) wallet out of this stuff? I don't really care for name, but a small company is ideal. (love helping out the little guys, plus they usually have best customer service and best quaility). I've google'd it and haven't come up with anything promising. I'm looking to spend ~$50-100. Any tips?

My parents are going to Italy in a couple months and said they want to get me some new shwag, so I'm not arguing. Any advice on cool brands over there? or brands that are cheeper over there? (are nudies cheeper to buy in Italy, or off the net? I'm thinking about the RRDS from Cultizm, but does that price ($200 US) include shipping and tax? (I know duties are my responsibility.)) I want them to possibly get me a wallet, belt, and t-shirts/polos/shirts. (Etro stuff is nice, any cheeper over there?) Can anyone recommend good places/stores/brands to check out over there?

Wayy too many questions, I know. Answering/responding to any of them is appreciated, but please use quotes so I know which of the 84 questions I asked you are addressing. haha.

Thanks again boys,
PS- thanks, nt54, for your imput on considering the ES and BO, but I can't find stores that carry them in Vancouver. I may try to find one that does carry em and try them out before purchasing whatever I decide on, but either way, I appreciate it.

Ghost
1st May 2007, 11:45
Jeebus that's a lot of writing lol And you ppl say I ask too much :P

Tiro
1st May 2007, 12:01
Also, do the Ralfs come in a Japanese denim? Cameland said the Japanese jeans appears to be higher quality, and I would be interested in getting a pair constructed with said denim if it were available.

Are there other cuts/brands I should look at if I like the Ralfs? Possibly a Jap brand. If anyone from Vancouver knows of any stores that sell Skull or some of the other popular ones where I could go try on a pair, please let me know.

Also, a little unrelated, what does 'hidden rivets' mean? I've tried searching for it, but still can't decipher exactly what it is. I'm assuming it's a rivet that you can't see from just looking at the jeans, but then what is the point of them, and where are they usually located?

ok, so first off, google, you'll find almost everything you asked, but...

the Japanese denim version of the Ralf is the RRDS!
secondly, you can NOT compare Nudies in Japanese denim to Japanese brands...
third, if you like the fit of the Ralf, chances are very small, you'll find a comparable fit in any Japanese brands, while Japanese brand denim is def. superior, Nudie is superior in making cuts I think...

hidden rivets, are rivets put on the upper corners of your backpockets, to make the attachment to your jeans stronger, you can see em on the inside or your jeans, not on the outside, that's why they are hidden...

example:
http://www.denime.jp/item/jeans/jeans/xx/xx/img-06.jpg
you see that rivet on the inside? that's a hidden rivet, Nudies don't have those... so don't look for them...

cameland
1st May 2007, 12:33
Okay i guess you were looking at me to help you with this again....... and to be honest im quite happy to give you my advice and or recommendations :D

This is like one of those times i wish my denim guide was finished as i could just tell you to have a quick read through that but none the less lets push on!

Lets see....

(converse look pretty strange in anything over a size 10, IMO)

I agree but im a size 9 ;)

just wondering about denim. Do you think it's worth it to fork out the extra doe on the DS?

Well considering the only thing you have to compare it over are the greycast and the ola if you want the bootcut, i would say definitely YES it is worth it for aesthetic appeal and also just the heavier weight, although the greycast is heavier I'm not a huge fan of its non-deep blue colour. Oh and Ola denim is IMO the worst of all the dry nudie denims closely followed by comforts as are as fadings go. Seem to be really hard to break in and the results don't look so great after from what ive seen, even my own pair i dont fancy too much...

I saw, what I seem to remember being, the Organic drys, and they looked pretty comparable in colour. Any thoughts/experiences on these?

Organic dries are closer to the colour of the greycast as both the organic denim of the ES and the Greycast are both greencasted, so they contain a green dye or something along those lines which basically just make it look more green and less blue, which colour you prefer more is totally up to you but my favourite colour is blue so i can only give you my biased answer :P

Something to consider would be the average joe, its the ralf without the bootcut basically and is really a nice basic cut, good for long wearing "heavy" and is quite stiff so your body will really take well to the denim and the creases will be quite defined. Its just about as stiff as RRDS.

I would be interested in getting a pair constructed with said denim if it were available.

Hrmm no jeans really fit like the ralf, the ralf is kinda unique in that it has a straight selvage outseam and the bootcut is created solely on the inseam hence why its called the "straight bootcut". Other bootcut jeans made by japanese companies usually will do a "flare" on both in and out seams and will cut some of the selvage off to accommodate for it. The closest i can think of japanese wise off the top of my head is the samurai 5000vx, i had a pair and had them in teh same size and they fit similarly to me except that the samurais were a straight leg.

You will find most japanese repro companies will do some kind of bootcut, skull and flathead comes to mind but there are many others. If you do not want to restrict yourself to bootcuts and open yourself up to straight leg jeans then the possibilities are kinda endless. If you really want to look into japanese brands then don't start here. Go to superfuture and have a look there. More than enough info there to keep you occupied for the next year or so. (i know it took me about a year of lurking and sometimes posting questions on SuFu and here to get the full swing of denim knowledge i know today)

Also, a little unrelated, what does 'hidden rivets' mean?
Tiro already did a pretty good explanation but the history behind it is its a levi's thing where the once exposed rivets caused damage to wooden furntiure or school desks so they decided to "hide them" under the denim. Very cool, and is a nice detail i wish nudies had.

If youre wondering what are holding your backpockets on then those thick stitches in the top corners are called "bartacks"

Okay, another completely unrelated, but I'm also considering buying a new wallet

Look here
http://www.kc-s.jp/category/pc01_1.html

Maybe here too
http://www.goodleather.co.jp/index.html

They are reasonably priced and you would need to use a middle man to get them and for that look here
http://supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php?t=21867

There is a little bit of knowledge you will need to know if you plan on purchasing the unstained versions and "tanning" them yourself but i guess you may want to cross that bridge when you get to it.

Oh and about the whole italy thing, i acutally have no idea but it has been discussed, the cheapest countries to buy nudies in from what ive read is the netherlands and also sweden of course!

The cheapest prices on the entire world wide web are at cultizm, his prices include shipping via DHL all around the world for absolutely no extra cost.

Hope that is of use to you, and if this didnt make much sense then forgive me as i have been robbed of 2 days sleep due to my exams.

cameland
1st May 2007, 12:39
oh i probably should mention. Even though the denim used in the RRDS is selvedge and is made in japan, the quality is still not the same as most of the "repro" type companies coming out of japan. The denim is better vs the italian denim nudies but still is quite untextured and flat looking in colour compared to its born and bred japanese counterparts.

bilmaga
1st May 2007, 15:02
I noticed you said there were the organic drys at the store, but no even steven? Or did you mean the ralf greycast?

Another great explanation cameland :wink:

Tiro
1st May 2007, 16:17
Oh and about the whole italy thing, i acutally have no idea but it has been discussed, the cheapest countries to buy nudies in from what ive read is the netherlands and also sweden of course!

The same prices for Nudies also apply in Belgium, so it could be a european thing I think...

Also, Italy is supposed to be fairly cheap when it comes to fashion, then again, most major fashion designers are Italian, so that would explain it...
Not sure about Nudie, but I guess they are the same price in Italy as they are in Holland, Belgium or Sweden...

great answer Camel, I just can't push myself to type such an ellaborate answer... :wink:

kingpin
1st May 2007, 22:09
What a beauty.

I hope I didn't take time away from your studying cameland, but thanks for your speedy, ellaborate reply. Also, thanks others, and Tiro for the explainations/help. I have tried googling many of the things I asked, but couldn't find an answers that satisfied.

As far as the Organics I was talking about, they were in a Ralf. I'm pretty sure they were Organics, they were not Dry Greycasts or Dry Selvage, I'm sure of that, and those are the only two options I've heard of for the Ralf. But this one had a different tag on it, can't exactly remember what it said. It was a different price than the other two.
DS - $299
DG - $250 (or somewhere around there, possibly $230)
Unknown (I seem to remember it was Organic though, because i believe I read a tag attached to it about how it was better for the environment) - $199

The colour of the third looked around the colour of the DS, maybe a little browner/dirtier looking, but as far as I can recall, not green like the DG. If you guys think I'm crazy, I can call the store to confirm, but I'm almost postivie there were three different versions of the RRalf, one of them being Organic denim. I'm going to feel like a damn fool if I've mixed it up though haha.

I think I'm going to stick with the Ralfs, purely cause I know it's a good cut for me, and probably go for the DS. Those wallets definitely look pretty sweet, thanks cameland.

bilmaga
2nd May 2007, 01:58
Now you have my curiosity. If you could find out that would be great.

Pressure Thief
2nd May 2007, 02:40
if it said "better for the environment" on the tag, it was an organic dry

tennisINjeans
2nd May 2007, 02:48
revolve does do a 30% discount just tell them you are a first time customer.

bilmaga
2nd May 2007, 02:53
if it said "better for the environment" on the tag, it was an organic dry

But he said it was a ralf

cameland
2nd May 2007, 03:11
true he said it to be the ralf but of course it can still be a steven as the "new ralf"

bilmaga
2nd May 2007, 03:16
But did the tags ever say "new ralf". At least I mean, the ones that were sold in stores, and not samples?

cameland
2nd May 2007, 03:18
hrmm good question, im not really sure, revolve still list it as the new ralf so maybe their tags say it?

Be interesting to find out.

bilmaga
2nd May 2007, 03:34
kingpin said that he would check. Now I am even more curious. Because I thought that when they launched the organics, the were known as the even steven.

kingpin
2nd May 2007, 04:46
Yeah, if you guys have never heard of it, then I'll go find out. I'll try to snag some pics of the tags too, haha. Dont get your hopes up, but I'm fairly certain it said Regular Ralf Organic Dry on the tag attached to the waist (near the leather patch). Also, the Nudies I saw did not have that "don't wash for 6 months" denim tag on them. Are they all supposed to have that? Holt Renfrew only carried the RR, SJ and TF, and I looked at the ralfs which didn't appear to have it.

BTW tennisinjeans, Revolve apparently does not offer that discount for Nudie Jeans anymore, unfortunately.

I'll try to let you guys know by tomorrow about the organic RR. Sorry to leave you hangin'.

bilmaga
2nd May 2007, 05:03
I think that the denim tag is on the new stock. If they had stock from last season, it probably won't have the "don't wash for 6 mo." tag.

Tiro
2nd May 2007, 15:46
I think that the denim tag is on the new stock. If they had stock from last season, it probably won't have the "don't wash for 6 mo." tag.

I second that

kingpin
4th May 2007, 02:38
Aight, so I checked out that store again, I was wrong, although there were 3 price points, one was misslabeled by the store. There is no Organic Ralf.

So I'm going to go for the RRDS from Cultizm (for $200 US) unless someone knows of a better deal...? I've looked, but that seems to be the best going.

bilmaga
4th May 2007, 02:47
I think that is about the best that us Canadians can get.

kingpin
4th May 2007, 02:51
Any idea on how much the RRDS is in European stores? My rents are going to be over there soon.

bilmaga
4th May 2007, 02:55
Not too sure. But I know that alot of stuff goes on sale there as well. I always get jealous when I hear how cheap some of the stuff is when they buy it :mrgreen: .

I also think it depends on whereabouts in Europe you will be.

cameland
4th May 2007, 03:37
i think cultizm is selling at the european price points, thats why its so incredibly cheap. You know what is a lot cheaper than the ralf though? THE SSDS. for some reason on cultizm its 30 dollars cheaper, i dunno about you but that makes it a lot cheaper for me.

They are the same denim so i would consider it if you want to buy it cheaper.

Tiro
4th May 2007, 15:44
Any idea on how much the RRDS is in European stores? My rents are going to be over there soon.

150 :arrow: $204

kingpin
4th May 2007, 23:57
Cool, thanks a lot Tiro. I think I'm just going to get it off Cultizm, i'll get my greedy lil hands on em faster.

kingpin
28th May 2007, 09:00
Hey guys,
I think I'm going to go for the Imperial Dukes over the Nudie RRDS, as advised by a couple guys on here. Context is currently out of Dukes in 33, so I'm probably gunna wait it out. They look pretty ballin. I think I should go for the indigo, but I'm looking for a dope pair of raw blacks also (in any cut really). Maybe I should just get the Dukes in black (they do look sick, I tried em on in the store), but how do they look faded? You ever seen any? I saw the one pair on the imperial site, and they look pretty sweet, but they were only a couple weeks old I think. Any time I hear about Imperial's denim quality, it's usually referenced to the indigo. Would companies use different quality denims for different colours, or is it basically just a different dying process.
This brings me to my next question. If I decide to get the indigo Dukes, do you know of any companies that have nice dry blacks for relatively cheep (~/<150 CDN). I have money, but justifying more than 200 US on one pair is the difficult part haha.
I wanna build up my denim collection a bit, get a nice indigo, a black and possibly a green/greycast (in the near future) in dry. I was thinkin somethin like the indigo Dukes, some raw blacks (maybe Levi's? or a Japanese brand if I can find one) and Nudie RRDG. What do you think?
You think I should look into some of the contest jeans to pick up a bargain? Ex- I was checkin out superfuture, and saw a contest for Dubbleworks. Everyone was raving about how good a deal it is for this 1000xx denim, but to tell you the truth, I thought it looked rather poor (could've been the pics I saw, but they looked quite light in colour). Also, I was lookin into the Skull jeans contest Cameland has been organizing. Do you find the "higher quality denims" like the 1000xx make the jean a lot more esthetically pleasing? To me, the cut is the most important, but maybe this is cause I'm a noob. Do Japanese Repro brands have many nice cuts? For reference, I consider the Ralfs and Dukes nice cuts. I can't wear tight jeans as I've got pretty muscular legs, and I feel that the tapered look is just a fad, and will loose its appeal soon (carrot style jeans are not my cup of tea). That's just my opinion though.

I've looked into pricing so much, I think I should start a thread on here of where to get the best prices from online stores haha (including first time buyer discounts/discount codes). If you guys want me to, lemme know. I've found some pretty good deals, especially for first time buyers.

Well, feel free to answer what you want, if anything. I know I'm askin a lot of you with these messages.
Thanks

cameland
28th May 2007, 09:19
i thought the imperial denim is fantastic, lower weight then usual but higher weights arent necessarily better either. The black denim is not an overdye so basically its the same process but i wont go into detail about that now.

You will not find black dukes for 150 dollars unless its 2nd hand. Your best price is context with the first time buyers discount but even then you wont find many "high quality" black raws for that price.

The 1000xx denim i would see as being repro denim, they havent tried to make it super super dark but it has a true vintage colour which attracts a lot of people i guess. My guess is that a lot of those people buying those doubleworks jeans are guys who not little about japanese denim and are jumping on the bandwagon because of the response its getting. It is cheap though.

SKulls are a good option too, the denim has a really nice colour IMO but the cut is probbaly too slim for you as they taper slightly.

Don't think too much about price, once you buy a couple pairs of jeans at 300 + dollars, suddenly those 200 dollar pairs of sugarcanes seem like cheap change.

kingpin
28th May 2007, 20:29
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm worried about haha.

For clarification, I meant, I'll either buy the Dukes in black, or buy them in indigo and get a second pair of dry blacks somewhere else for cheep (probably the ladder option). Any suggestions on where to find em? Stores in Vancouver don't seem to have any, that I can find, under 150. Any solid or niche/local brands you guys know of that have dry black denim, again under or around 150 CDN (130 US)?

And thats good to know about the Doubleworks. Those were my thoughts also.

kingpin
12th June 2007, 21:01
Again, anyone know of a pair of inexpensive (<150 US) raw black denim? I idealy would like a pair with white weft, as I cant imagine the overdyed black jeans fade well at all.

Also, I've been thinking about the whole 6 month waiting process. From what I gather, the reason to wait 6 months is because the sweat and dirt accumulated in this time will break down the jean faster. So it's possible to get contrasty results with semi-regular washing, but prolonged wear. Why is it the first wash that people delay so much? Am I missing something? Couldn't you wash after the first wear, then wait 6 for the second, and it would have the same effect? Or better yet, just wash every 3 months or so?

Then, what is the disadvantage of buying prewash? I suppose that the fading may not match up with your natural fades, causing a strange look, but if you got a dark(er) prewash, couldn't you potentially get the same effect from posponed, or infrequent, washing?

cameland
13th June 2007, 01:51
TIMMMYYYYYY im calling you buddy...

I think almost all of your questions have been answered before, either here or on superfuture, I think you should do less asking questions and more reading as once you start reading you will learn other things and in turn won't need to ask any more questions.

As far as getting cheap black jeans i think i already told you it doesnt exist. 150 is already a lot to spend on jeans why not just pay another 70 to get the best or better.

General washing (with introductions to denim soaps):
http://supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php?t=10346

Ryu's (letgoasyoulike) monthly washing:
http://supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php?t=10995

Washing tips (by Denim Works denim specialists in Shibuya):
http://supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php?t=12920

Washing (focussing on Paul T):
http://supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php?t=9173

Premium denim vs cheaper denim qualitative debate:
http://supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php?t=571

Japanese denim vs. Italian denim: http://supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php?t=6618 :wink:

cameland
13th June 2007, 02:01
Black jeans i recommend.

Flathead 4001bk
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/2nd/fh-4001bk/

Samurai 5000BK
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/2nd/sj-s5000bk/

Pure Blue Japan 005BK
http://www.purebluejapan.jp/bottoms/02_5p/04xx005_shrunk_to_fit_black/

Denime 505 Black type
http://store.yahoo.co.jp/denime/7000-8647-.html

Skull 5010xx Black
http://www.fabfour.co.jp/netshop/babe/showcase/BB029.html

Tiro
13th June 2007, 21:45
TIMMMYYYYYY im calling you buddy...

sorry mate, didn't see this untill now...

kingpin, really, like Camel said, most or your questions are answered already, on here and on SuFu, reading doesn't hurt and asking a lot of questions that are just as easy to answer by yourself if you do a bit of research (not alot), is just plain annoying to alot of people, we can help you, but we aren't your personal gnomes... :wink:

take a look at Camel's links man! Read, then act!

But what the hell, I'm bored as frek anyway so:

why wait six months before washing, in those six months, spots on your jeans that get alot of stress will fade alot, the other places won't, after the wash, the entire jeans will fade, but the faded bits are already faded, this creates contrast... (6 months is only a guideline) the more your jeans are faded before the first wash the higher the contrast will be...

prewashes will never fade like dry jeans because they simply are not made to do that, they are already faded, they are already washed and they have alot less indigo left in them...

haven't got the energy to really answer more, read up first boy, ask questions later!

I think I did my job... sorry for the late reaction Dom :wink:

cameland
14th June 2007, 00:34
Heh, thats alright Tiro, so long as the deeds done I always say.