PDA

View Full Version : Does Dry Denim Fade Better than Prewashed?

brody
30th March 2007, 01:10
Okay, so I know what I'm about to say is completely against the Nudie ideologies. So don't kill me. :oops:

Dry denim is cool because if worn without wash for an extended period, it comes to completely express you through the fading and stains (and smell?). But wouldn't this exact same principle apply to prewashed denim? If someone was to wear a pair of prewashed jeans everyday for 6 months or a year without washing, wouldn't they get near the same result?

Basically what I'm trying to ask is... what's so great about dry denim?

superslim_zac
30th March 2007, 01:15
Okay, so I know what I'm about to say is completely against the Nudie ideologies. So don't kill me. :oops:

Dry denim is cool because if worn without wash for an extended period, it comes to completely express you through the fading and stains (and smell?). But wouldn't this exact same principle apply to prewashed denim? If someone was to wear a pair of prewashed jeans everyday for 6 months or a year without washing, wouldn't they get near the same result?

Basically what I'm trying to ask is... what's so great about dry denim?

The pre-wash won't have significant fading etc. after a period of 6 months because alot of the indigo was washed out when they were made. After they were washed a few times the indigo stops leaving the jeans so dramatically.

Raw denim hasn't been washed, therefore it bleeds on everything and after an extended period of regular wear the indigo will fade out naturally.

And plus, Nudie pre-washes most often look bad anyway!

I started on a pre-wash, wore them for 3 months without washing them. There really wasn't any difference. I just don't like washing jeans.

cameland
30th March 2007, 03:42
hank dyed vs rope dyed?

ExileOnMainStreet
30th March 2007, 05:25
hank dyed any day of the week (and twice on sunday)

bilmaga
30th March 2007, 05:36
mmmmmmmmm hank dyed :D

brody
30th March 2007, 06:34
What is this you guys are talking about now? What is hank dyed vs rope dyed? o_0

bilmaga
30th March 2007, 06:49
Your average jeans are made from denim that has been made using the "rope dyed" method which is controlled by a machine. The above jeans are made using the "hank dyed" method which means that one man has manually dipped the denim into an indigo bath up to 30 times. What all this means is that these jeans have a unique colour and they are only available in an extremely limited edition.

This came from an Evisu ad, but you should be able to get the idea.