PDA

View Full Version : Why orange thread?

haole
11th May 2005, 05:57
Found this on the Internet:

Why are Blue Jeans traditionally sewn with Orange thread?

The orange thread traditionally used to sew Levi Strauss blue jeans was intentionally selected to match the copper rivets that doubled the durability of the jeans.

Levi Strauss, however, neither envisioned this particular use for copper riveting, which the orange thread complemented, nor the unique stitching on the rear pockets of the jeans.

Jacob Davis, a Russian immigrant, and a tailor, who plied his trade in Reno, Nevada, formulated the idea for the riveted seam, an idea that would vastly extend the life of the jeans, and would revolutionize the garment industry. Alas, due to financial constraints, Jacob could neither afford to obtain a patent for his invention, nor to produce the new garment.

Out of necessity, Jacob approached the wholesaler he purchased his denim from with a proposal that he sell him the West Coast rights to the riveted blue jeans, in exchange for the $68 required to obtain a patent for them. The wholesaler whom accepted Jacob’s proposition was none other than Levi Strauss.

Levi gave Jacob a position with his Company in 1873 and, during his tenure, Jacob ensured that the orange thread be used in all stitching on the jeans, and that the curved, formally named "arcuate," stitches adorn the rear pockets of the jeans.

Initially the fancy, unique stitching on the rear pockets of the jeans served a purpose. The rear pockets of the first Levis the Company produced were lined with cotton, and the orange stitching prevented the padding from buckling. The Company dropped the cotton lining early on, but the stitching remained, and was registered as a trademark in 1942.

Only once did it appear as if the orange stitching on the rear pockets would become a thing of the past. The material shortage during World War II prompted Levi to contribute to the war effort by temporarily ceasing production of jeans with the trademark stitching on the rear pockets, as this was considered frivolous and wasteful. To avoid a break in continuity of the Levi tradition, the Company had the design hand painted on the rear pockets of each pair of jeans produced.

To this day, the copper rivets, matching orange thread, and ornate stitching on the rear pockets still adorn all Levis produced. The legend of Levi Strauss lives on, while Jacob Davis has been lost in the annals of history.

http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/thread.asp

delta9
5th August 2005, 04:49
interesting read

sarlo
5th August 2005, 11:55
Nice :D jeans history ;)

Bill
4th November 2005, 19:26
I would imagine that bit about the hand painted Levis logo was the initial inspiration for the hand painted Evisu logo......

can anybody confirm or deny that?

berent
5th November 2005, 11:38
Evisu was first called Evis.
Levi's started a law-suit against them, cuz they're copying their name, and also used the registered redtab. And I also believe that they did the same backpocket stitching as Levi's, but I'm not sure of that.
Evis was forced to change their name into Evisu. And they weren't allowed to use the redtab on their jeans outside Japan. They also had to do something else with the backpockets, so they started painting the gull on them (don't pick me for this last one, I'm not 100% sure of it)

rotta
15th January 2006, 22:02
haha stupid evisu. i hate that brand.. i really do. because they're ugly as hell and they are so expensie. you can't really buy them just because they look good. because they don't.

Thorns
15th January 2006, 23:53
totally agree with rotta. Evisu jeans are just plain ugly.

Cyriel
16th January 2006, 09:12
I like the denim of evisu. The blue colour can be very nice sometimes, but I hate the painted logo's on it. That's just... I don't know. I don 't like it.

toszie
16th January 2006, 10:08
Evisu was first called Evis.
Levi's started a law-suit against them, cuz they're copying their name, and also used the registered redtab. And I also believe that they did the same backpocket stitching as Levi's, but I'm not sure of that.
Evis was forced to change their name into Evisu. And they weren't allowed to use the redtab on their jeans outside Japan. They also had to do something else with the backpockets, so they started painting the gull on them (don't pick me for this last one, I'm not 100% sure of it)

The backpocket story isn't correct. Evis also had the gull but the bows where higher so it looked more like a arcurate stitching from Levi's.

Hedman
16th January 2006, 15:24
The backpocket story isn't correct. I also had the gull but the bows where higher so it looked more like a arcurate stitching from Levi's.
Maybe fake ones then ;)

toszie
16th January 2006, 16:59
The backpocket story isn't correct. Evis also had the gull but the bows where higher so it looked more like a arcurate stitching from Levi's.
Maybe fake ones then ;)

I didn't mean "I" but Evis.

Db
16th January 2006, 17:26
I don''t like evisu either! and most of the evisu jeans you see on the streets are fake!!

INDIGO GIRL
24th December 2011, 21:29
I sold my Evisu coat - big seagull on the sleeve which I didn't like!

Also don't like orange stitching on jeans-
My Nudies have black stitching
My Timothy Everest have navy stitching

I don't like oranges either!!

IG

beautiful_FrEaK
25th December 2011, 00:29
do you ever use your brain before posting something?

INDIGO GIRL
26th December 2011, 06:25
As its Christmas I'll ignore this, but I don't go around insulting other Forum members and it's not really in the spirit of the Forum.

I won't expect an apology, then I won't be disappointed, but I wouldn't insult you publicly (or even privately)

What have I done to annoy you so much???

IG

Rotbart
26th December 2011, 10:32
Maybe it´s because of posting in a five year old thread? Probably none of the former people who started the discussion will ever read your comment ...

beautiful_FrEaK
26th December 2011, 17:27
that's exaclty the reason...and it's not the first time... you keep on to bump threads that are more than dead and as Rotbart said none of those guys above will read your comment.

and also the waywt: you finally succeded to post a fit picture (although it was rotated but that happens sometimes) and then you got back to just write about it. it's not only about what you wear but how you wear it and that is only visible if you post an actual fit picture of it

mikecch
26th December 2011, 18:20
What have I done to annoy you so much???

Necromancy & inane musings are frowned upon if done too often.
I know there's a certain excitement to posting and getting to know the community when you're new to a forum, but try and hold back a little bit - many threads are dead for a good reason.

INDIGO GIRL
27th December 2011, 04:02
I'm not going to make a "thing" about this

I'm an invalid:

Severe CFS/ME (housebound, often bed bound, even in my jeans)
Osteoporosis (I can't walk without a stick)
Sleep reversal (why I'm often tired)
Ulcerative colitis
Fibromyalgia (on morphine plus other nasties for pain relief)

I haven't worked since 1997 due to my health (often hospitalised and 4 months in intensive care)
So I don't have a job to fill up my day which is why I look for threads that interest me

I know most of you won't give a monkey's about any of this but I'm just trying to explain.
I haven't left the house unaided since I was last in hospital 2010 September

My life prognosis is not very good

So if you all want to pick on me maybe I should just lurk and enjoy my Nudies and other jeans silently as I have enough to deal with without online bullying.

I thought getting involved in my lifelong passion for denim was more beneficial that some silly forum for invalids where everybody winges about their symptoms.

But no, I don't have an exciting life and if it's too boring for you all I'm very sorry but we have to deal with the cards we're dealt and I drew a bad hand which I'm trying to make the best of whilst I'm able.

IG

mikecch
28th December 2011, 03:11
I'm not going to make a "thing" about this

I'm an invalid:

Severe CFS/ME (housebound, often bed bound, even in my jeans)
Osteoporosis (I can't walk without a stick)
Sleep reversal (why I'm often tired)
Ulcerative colitis
Fibromyalgia (on morphine plus other nasties for pain relief)

I haven't worked since 1997 due to my health (often hospitalised and 4 months in intensive care)
So I don't have a job to fill up my day which is why I look for threads that interest me

I know most of you won't give a monkey's about any of this but I'm just trying to explain.
I haven't left the house unaided since I was last in hospital 2010 September

My life prognosis is not very good

So if you all want to pick on me maybe I should just lurk and enjoy my Nudies and other jeans silently as I have enough to deal with without online bullying.

I thought getting involved in my lifelong passion for denim was more beneficial that some silly forum for invalids where everybody winges about their symptoms.

But no, I don't have an exciting life and if it's too boring for you all I'm very sorry but we have to deal with the cards we're dealt and I drew a bad hand which I'm trying to make the best of whilst I'm able.

IG

I won't pretend that I know what it's like for you, but as a medico I assure you I empathise with your situation.

The beauty of forums like this one is that you get a chance to exchange ideas with people from all walks of life, from different cultures and backgrounds.
Though like every gathering of people, there must be certain rules - written & implied - that participants uphold.
Resurrecting old threads is one of those things that is frowned upon if done too often.
It's all good to find a topic that still has some importance or validity, but don't go digging up old stuff multiple times a day please :wink:

We're not trying to bully you at all, just pointing out to you a couple of our forum norms which old timers abide by.

Kmart.
28th December 2011, 03:42
I won't pretend that I know what it's like for you, but as a medico I assure you I empathise with your situation.

The beauty of forums like this one is that you get a chance to exchange ideas with people from all walks of life, from different cultures and backgrounds.
Though like every gathering of people, there must be certain rules - written & implied - that participants uphold.
Resurrecting old threads is one of those things that is frowned upon if done too often.
It's all good to find a topic that still has some importance or validity, but don't go digging up old stuff multiple times a day please http://mynudies.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

We're not trying to bully you at all, just pointing out to you a couple of our forum norms which old timers abide by.

Very well said!

INDIGO GIRL
28th December 2011, 22:26
OK

I'll do my best when I wake up at 1am to pick up threads which are current.

Hope I haven't offended anyone.

Just remember I'm fading (only 5stone 12lb) and I won't always be here to pick up threads that nobody except me and my 2 Siamese cat "Night Nurses" are interested in.

But I love the Forum so I will try to stick to accepted protocol.

You may even get more pics one day!!!

IG