PDA

View Full Version : The Indigo plant

yiggabob
29th November 2006, 19:33
did a quick (very quick) search to see if this had been posted already, but

I was thinking of growing my own indigo plant (among other plants :lol: you NL people can understand)...but i figure that it would be a neat project to end up with some of my own natural dye..

i wouldn't do it to nudies, but maybe with some other jeans i was thinking of doing my own natural 'overdye' or something like that..

has anyone else tried it or thought about doing this?

or am i just crazy?
(which is probably accurate)

lenn
29th November 2006, 19:41
i had the same idea!!! couldn't yet be arsed to find out if i could get some plants though, but i'd love to grow some

Steel
29th November 2006, 21:21
i see where you are going but it is difficult i looked into it with my brother...check this out: from wikipedia

"There is no single "indigo plant". A variety of plants have been used to produce indigo dye.
Most natural indigo dye is obtained from plants in the genus Indigofera, which are native to the tropics. In Europe, indigo can be obtained from woad (Isatis tinctoria) and dyer's knotweed (Polygonum tinctorum). The primary commercial indigo species in Asia is true indigo (Indigofera tinctoria), a shrub found in Southeastern Asia. Its flowers range from red to purple.
The Blue Wild Indigo (Baptisia australis) also known as Blue False Indigo, is a North American herbaceous perennial plant that was used by the Cherokee Indians to make a blue dye."

so let's get our hands on some woad, or move to asia and frow indigofera

let me know, im gonna stick to buying nudies, and as far a plants go i might try growing some green :lol: peace[/i]

yiggabob
29th November 2006, 21:27
word, i got the idea after wikipedia-ing, haha

aparently they also extracted some color from sea snails or slugs or something...

i'm with ya on the moving to asia, AND the green, hahaha

actually i studied chinese in HS and uni, so i should definitely ask for some if i ever get back to china :D
i remember seeing a lot of it growing at some gardens and on the countryside
(edit: i'm referring to the indigo, not the green, ha)

Steel
29th November 2006, 21:59
hahahahahaha

rolling hills of smokable goodness, of course only in asia.

no but im thinking...maybe some personal research into dye wouldn't be a bad idea. pm sent :wink:

lenn
29th November 2006, 22:01
word, i got the idea after wikipedia-ing, haha

same :lol:

and as for the green: i'm dutch :roll:

yiggabob
29th November 2006, 23:10
yes there is quite the assortment of it there lenn.. :lol:
tasteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Steel: PM returned :idea:

vee_dub
30th November 2006, 01:14
I am going to be in Hong Kong/China in 4 days!..

Going to check out some indigo plants hhehe!..