PDA

View Full Version : How do you all feel about spending this much $$$?

exitmusic
19th October 2006, 06:01
I'm just wondering how all you denim afficionadoes feel about spending $150 and upwards on jeans. Sure, I love my jeans as much as the next guy, but there is a certain ridiculousness when we end up spending almost $500 for certain jeans. I'm definately all for buying like a pair of Nudie's or some nice Acne or other designer brands, but I feel like some people are able to just throw this money around. I have a job, I make a decent wage for a student (like $500 a week if I get tutoring appointments booked, more than say 10 sessions), but I don't really get how some people can just put out that much for just a pair of jeans.
I'd much rather get a pair of brand new Levi's and wear them to hell and back to have them look like a pair of well-worn Nudie's, or other selvage denims, than spend $255 for a pair of Samurai's.
Its just a thought, and I'm not saying designer jeans are bad, but I'm just wondering how the rest of you feel about spending so much money on jeans sometimes. This is USD too, so you guys in Europe might have a different take on things. This is all IMO, but I'm wondering what you all think on the subject. Thanks

sarlo
19th October 2006, 10:33
i work for my money.. so i don't blame myself spending it.. if i don't want to spend it why should i work hard :lol:

Cyriel
19th October 2006, 11:09
SO many people here are buying one Nudie after the other. And all dry. I just wear one pair. One expensive pair worn all day every day isn't that expensive after all.

I'm on day 194 now, so it costed me 82 eurocents a day. That's not so much. I think the Nudie idea is to wear one pair of jeans till they're trashed out. How can, say, 5 pair of jeans ever feel like a second skin? When you have that many jeans it'll take you ages to get nice fading :!:

But again: each one has to decide for their own. Just giving my opinion.

cameland
19th October 2006, 11:18
well....im a student also. i only make 150aud a week so im pretty poor actually. althought i buy and sell to help make sure i keep up with the game.

The premium you pay for the jeans i beleive is justified up to a certain point. i mean for nudie you arent getting the greatest "attention to detail" or the best denim but what you do get are great raw cuts that are readily availible all around the world. Also you get something that isnt made by sweatshops in china and are made by quite a good designer. all hail maria ;)

Brands like samurai which are around the same price as nudie (without middlemen) are those jeans that have those qualities and little details that let you know that they put time and effort into making a great pair of jeans, selvedge denim is limited and they use 100% indigo and special hardware and all that jazz! i think its worth it for something your going to wear for a long long time.

well the way i see it, its just like buying a pair of jeans for a year. you get a great pair of jeans that will look cool now and when u look at them in a years time they will look different, something you created and can tell people about or jsut admire yourself.

i think people who are into creative things and art and such will be into this kinda thing. cos i know i feel a certain way about making things myself and using them...theres just something about it.

Mr.Indigo
19th October 2006, 12:07
I must admit to some pangs of guilt when I think about the money i've spent on dry jeans but i'm working with a pretty good wage so I haven't broken the bank at all.

On one level its about what you can comfortably afford which will be more or less depending on your circumstances.

The guilt for me is when I think maybe I should have spent the money on something more worthy, like a charity.

But I just can't help myself... probably need therapy.

Bobbejaan
19th October 2006, 12:17
I'm on day 194 now, so it costed me 82 eurocents a day. That's not so much

True True

My story is.

I got the RRDG first and really wanted a RRDS so i bought it offcourse. then i was broke for a week. I got my SJDG for 50 euro on Marktplaats ( dutch-ebay). and for the ALD RPS (228 euro ) i got no excuse my girl had a frontier pant.. and i wanted it so bad

So my costs are a bit higher but still if you want to spend money on this in stead of crystal meth is always better

herrgurka
19th October 2006, 12:38
Well, I also have to admit some feelings of remorse, particularly since I like to see myself as a harsh critic of commodity fetishism and the foolies of consumer society. But raw denim has a certain hypnotic effecton on my brain that seems to bypass all ideological barriers. False consciousness, I know, but it feels soooo good.

Also, in my line of work (university teacher) I have to change clothes now and then, so my ambition is to get one pair of jeans for each workday and one for the weekend. Let's see, 6*7=42 months, with some luck I don't have to wash a single pair of jeans until the next decade. I would like to call that a major effort for the evironment. On the other hand, I have to wait a looooong time in order to know how my jeans turn out after the first wash-

/hg

Lou2006
19th October 2006, 13:05
i consider the price of my clothes by the amount of wears they will get. if i spend a couple hundred bucks on nudies im gonna wear a couple hundred times, thats not a bad deal. most of my clothes are thrift store, from sales, or no-brand cheap shit, so i dont feel bad about that.
i would only spend cash on designer shit if i had the cashflow to support that, and a loft apartment in nyc, a tuscan villa and a bedsit in london. :lol: right now, i aint got shit.

Bobbejaan
19th October 2006, 13:16
that just like me

The jeans are the only really expensive stuff that i fancy

the rest as cheap as posible

Cyriel
19th October 2006, 14:23
Well, I also have to admit some feelings of remorse, particularly since I like to see myself as a harsh critic of commodity fetishism and the foolies of consumer society. But raw denim has a certain hypnotic effecton on my brain that seems to bypass all ideological barriers. False consciousness, I know, but it feels soooo good.

Also, in my line of work (university teacher) I have to change clothes now and then, so my ambition is to get one pair of jeans for each workday and one for the weekend. Let's see, 6*7=42 months, with some luck I don't have to wash a single pair of jeans until the next decade. I would like to call that a major effort for the evironment. On the other hand, I have to wait a looooong time in order to know how my jeans turn out after the first wash-

/hg

What if you gain weight or go sizes down? Nobody stays the same size for his whole life I think...

herrgurka
19th October 2006, 14:52
Your absolutely right Cyriel, but at least that's an incitament not to gain weight :wink: Maybe if I try hard enough I could shrink myself into the right shape in a finnish sauna?

On the other hand, if I'm loosing weight I might be forced to both wear and advocate a looser fit, which I'm not to fond of.

Ah, the sweet quandaries of a denim addict......

/hg

Fhunkit
19th October 2006, 16:09
Just hold your weight, size, and length.

As a teacher, you will see pupils everyday. Have you ever get questions like 'Sir, why you always wear the same jeans?' or something like that..

But Maybe after 42 months you get our Nudies in the Nudie gallery!!

herrgurka
19th October 2006, 16:31
No, no, swedish students are much to polite to ask things like that. And I do change jeans often when I teach, telling myself that any intelligent and self-respecting human being just has to see the difference between my SS dry selvage, my SJ dry japan or my SJ dry greycast :wink:

I have some raw black jeans as well (Levis), at least that pair should stick out.

Also, raw denim has become very widespread this year so it's hardly like I'm the only one in class who wears dry Nudies...

/hg

parrottartebay
19th October 2006, 16:45
I've always thought of buying premium raw denim as likened to buying art. It's expensive and somewhat "frivolous" (denim is more functional than art of course...) but at the same time you are supporting a sort of underground creative movement that promotes hand-made artisanal work. Especially in the case of japanese brands and other brands that utilize hand-made, loom-spun, indigo-dyed denim. It's funding an artist, stimulating good design, and aiding quality production methods.

So should that be in your budget I think it's always a meaningful purchase.

Bobbejaan
19th October 2006, 19:18
i have to say for a student whos not really into jeans

the SJDG SJDJ and SSDS look kinda the same i hope they can spott the diference

and dude what do you teach ?

Mr.Indigo
19th October 2006, 19:25
It's funding an artist, stimulating good design, and aiding quality production methods.

Well you've certainly eased away that guilt I was feeling - time to order those 'canes i've been looking at for months. :D

octopolopolo
19th October 2006, 21:53
Canes... I just got some 47 Canes last week and started to wear them yesterday. They are so beautiful... I don't think I'll wear my SSDS anytime soon now that I have these.

Mr.Indigo
19th October 2006, 22:24
got the 'canes ordered :D

should be here early next week, will post pics.

octopolopolo
19th October 2006, 22:38
What model did you order?

parrottartebay
19th October 2006, 23:51
It's funding an artist, stimulating good design, and aiding quality production methods.

Well you've certainly eased away that guilt I was feeling - time to order those 'canes i've been looking at for months. :D

yeah i hope so..I just got some pure blue japan (another japanese brand) jeans in the mail from Blue In Green...and the design...fabric...fit and stretching are all absolutely wonderful.

They stretch but not too much...they form exactly to your body. Soak them for an hour and then wear...PERFECT! And I'm sure canes will be equally as good.
So...I don't regret supporting such craftsmanship at all! You get your money's worth...and they get what they deserve. cheers.

exitmusic
20th October 2006, 01:55
cool, cool. thanks for all the responses. i'm gonna order a pair of SJDG eventually, but its birthday present, so i feel no remorse (i'm sure my parents will though haha). i can see how it is justified working for the money, and then spending it on something as nice as a pair of nudies. unfortunately, i can definately see a point at which the quest for the ultimate jeans can become just an obsession, and i imagine that if i limit myself to this pair of nudies for the upcoming year, and so on and so forth, i can survive.
thanks everybody, further discussion is definately encouraged.

parrottartebay
20th October 2006, 04:00
i can definately see a point at which the quest for the ultimate jeans can become just an obsession, and i imagine that if i limit myself to this pair of nudies for the upcoming year, and so on and so forth, i can survive.

indeed...it is an obsession...and good luck at keeping it to a pair of nudies. haha

Mr.Indigo
20th October 2006, 11:54

Got the '47s, same as you. Can't wait. Expecting them not to have the arcuate stitching on the pockets though as its through the UK distrubutor but should still be awesome.

distracted
20th October 2006, 12:23

Got the '47s, same as you. Can't wait. Expecting them not to have the arcuate stitching on the pockets though as its through the UK distrubutor but should still be awesome.

Who's the UK distributor for Sugar Cane please?

Mr.Indigo
20th October 2006, 12:54
I got them through togged.com who in turn get them from sugarcane uk - sugarcanejeans.co.uk, the uk distributor. It was these guys I mailed about the pack pocket stitching.

Price was ?159 which is the same as at American Classics in Covent Garden. Both companies, Togged and Sugarcane, were very helpful and answered all my questions promptly.

distracted
20th October 2006, 15:16
Thanks for the info. That was very helpful, I appreciate it :D

octopolopolo
20th October 2006, 16:21
The 47s don't come with the arcuate anymore, even in Japan. I've been lucky enough to buy my pair to a guy who bought them a few months ago but never wore them, so I actually have the arcuates and I got them for dirt cheap. It made me happy... :)