PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! foul-smelling clothes

ralf
31st July 2006, 22:29
Long time no see mynudies.com!

This is the SECOND time i ruin a lot of expensive and beloved clothes.
If you forget about your laundry and leaves the cothes in too long so they stay in the washing machine wet, they will turn bad.

They get clean and all but when you wear them they will stink really bad. Some kind of sour smell from the fabric.

Is there something one can do to rescue the clothes?

washing them like normal doesnt help.

batman
31st July 2006, 22:39
When that happened to me once I just washed them again and it was fine. How long did you leave them in there? Maybe wash in warmer water and use more detergent.

Matthias1977
1st August 2006, 11:00
I'm afraid it's not the fabric but it's simply all the microbes that live and grow in warm water. There's no water which is absolutely clean. Even the purest best water starts to smell after some days if you put it into the sun. So what you will have to do is to use some microbe-killing temperate such as 90?C...

Cyriel
1st August 2006, 11:15
That will shrink your jeans as hell. You can also put a little extra washing powder in the machine... Not too much offcourse :D

mike m.
2nd August 2006, 00:12
Ralf...same thing happened to some of my favorite jeans...I aired them out for like a week and they smell much better. Maybe try dry cleaning. I also sprayed them with fabreeze, which helped.

stiewie
2nd August 2006, 00:55
Is there something one can do to rescue the clothes?

I think, just wash them again on low temp and start wearing them as usual.
The smell will be disappear eventually.

minoki
2nd August 2006, 01:07
I found that putting my jeans in the freezer over night helps a lot with killing bacteria which is where most bad smells come from.

Be careful not to leave them in the freezer too long or they will start to absorb the smell of whatever food items you might have in there.

I think Ralph that if you spend about a week switching them from the open air to the freezer, fabreezing them and then washing them with a nice smelling detergent (I like zero for black fabrics) you'll be fine.

www.lark8thave.com

dave023
2nd August 2006, 02:09
dry cleaning will certainly get the smell out of them for sure!good luck :P

Matthias1977
2nd August 2006, 13:12
don't forget that using perfumes (like in some detergents) just covers the smell of bacteria and doesn't kill them...

ralf
2nd August 2006, 19:37
i thank you all! very nice to get a lot of quick and useful tips.

i will try dry cleaning first since i can ask them there what to do as well. after all its what they do for a living..

and for you who wonder its not the jeans displayed in the selvage gallery its mostly t-shirts and shirts.

RideTheSpiral
25th November 2011, 12:38
This happened to our towels once. To fix it is simple!

Use the lowest amount of water needed to cover laundry, add half your normal amount of detergent, and slowly add one cup of pure household ammonia. Hold your breath while it mixes in! Don't smell the stuff! It's potent.

Let it run, and just before it switches to next cycle, turn off the washer and let the clothes soak for 15 minutes or so. Resume normal operation. Bam! Fresh clothes

oh look at me revive threads.. oops

smilysunshine
10th January 2013, 04:40
Put them into the freeze bro. I tried and works very well.

Here are instruction for you.
http://www.denimfuture.com/read-journal/freeze-your-jeans