PDA

View Full Version : What is Difference Between Soaking and Washing Your Jeans.?

superheavent
24th March 2011, 12:50
What's the effect of both Soaking and Washing to the Jeans.?

Max Power
24th March 2011, 12:53
soaking: putting your jeans in the bathtub (while you're wearing it or not, your choice), add cold / warm / hot water for 1/2 hour (minimal -max shrinkage depends on temperature). Mostly done to get initial shrinkage out or to "refresh" your jeans. You don't add washing powder or soap, so the inigo loss is minimal, but starch washes out.

washing: same with washing powder/ Dr. bronners or throwing them in the machine.

superheavent
24th March 2011, 13:04
soaking: putting your jeans in the bathtub (while you're wearing it or not, your choice), add cold / warm / hot water for 1/2 hour (minimal -max shrinkage depends on temperature). Mostly done to get initial shrinkage out or to "refresh" your jeans. You don't add washing powder or soap, so the inigo loss is minimal, but starch washes out.

washing: same with washing powder/ Dr. bronners or throwing them in the machine.

Okay, let say i'm soaking my jeans in hot water to get shrinkage, won't it be hard for my jeans to get fading in the future.?
Sorry for asking too much, i'm quite a newbie in this jeans industry.
Anyway thanks for reply & explanation Max, Cheers Mate.

ng_tetet
24th March 2011, 13:21
A soak or two won't make it any harder, it really depends on how you wear em.

Max Power
24th March 2011, 13:42
well, there are two sides:

1.) soaking with water only doesn't wash out much indigo. So far, no problem.
2.) soaking washes out starch (yellow-green colour). A starched jeans, like sanforized nudies, develops sharper creases and fades "faster", but with time you will still get awesome fades with non strached/soaked jeans. Just look at Samurai, Flat Head or the like.

So, in general, soaking has absolutely no effect on fading.

starscream92
24th March 2011, 15:56
When you soak, generally speaking your jeans won't be agitated as much as they'd be in the washer. If not agitated, the only indigo that you'll lose are the ones which are already loosened-up due to wearing prior to the soak.

So after soaking you'll notice some more defined fades on the areas which were prone to stress before you soak (the usual areas... Mid-quad, crotch, backpockets, knee bulges, combs-area, stacking areas, etc.), and the degree of fading will depend on how hard you've been wearing them before the soak.

Yeah and Max Power is right soaking will get rid some of the starch on your jeans (though I'm not sure whether it'll get rid all/most or just a bit of it).

And about post-soak fadings, if you soak at the right time and correctly (i.e. not too long, water temperature, etc.), from my friend's experience, it actually kinda jumpstarts the fading process. The subsequent fading would happen faster, easier, and better looking (that is if you like the electric-blue on dark-indigo contrast, and not the vintage one).

Kmart.
24th March 2011, 20:40
To anyone who has soaked a pair of Nudies EARLY... did it slow down the fading? Seriously considering soaking my Finns, they are so baggy on me right now.

starscream92
24th March 2011, 20:58
I'm thinking of doing that too, but I've only worn mine for a little over a month :( I'd say it wouldn't slow down the fade as long as you keep the jeans as still as possible, but since you're looking for shrinking you'll prolly want to hot/warm-soak it... Which kinda makes me cringe :p

EDIT:
Oh but I did see someone's SJDJ being washed-early (3 months of age but very, very minimum wear) on the "Post your jeans progress" thread, but it continued to fade fine!

Kmart.
24th March 2011, 23:24
^ Yeah mine just have so little wear, I'm concerned about slowing down the progress so early.

I think I'll hold off for the time being, the fit is bearable I guess. Wouldn't want to ruin yet another pair of Nudies...

pants
23rd April 2011, 22:41
http://mynudies.com/gallery/files/5/4/7/2/grim_tim2.jpg

So the electric indigo in these jeans could be a result to a pre-soak?

What is vintage fadings?

Max Power
23rd April 2011, 22:55
^ No, not really. Looks like normal fadings to me. Vintage fadings are hard to generalize, most people think of them as the look you get when you wash your jeans regulary, yet still with a sharp combs or signs of wear. Hard to describe...

RideTheSpiral
25th November 2011, 11:29
For me, two months in, I 'washed' my slimjims after first giving them a nice hot soak with detergent and agitated them nice and good. The water went pretty greenish. By washing I mean I swished it around in the tub, ringed the water out a few times, until I knew they got a nice cleaning, light scrub with fingers etc etc. Two days ago I gave them a super cold soak with detergent as well

soak = either hot or cold water, with no agitation if using hot water. and very light agitation if using cold water.

These are my jims today, 5 days until the 6 month mark. And I managed to get them dirty a day after cleaning them!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0e7mo_OX52M/Ts9mLhQGo2I/AAAAAAAAJOg/QUxnwGhrBG0/s700/IMG_0655.JPG

Max Power
27th November 2011, 10:03
No offense, but the look more like 6 weeks than 6 months.

schematica
27th November 2011, 10:32
I agree. As for washing or soaking my personal opinion is that to get truly outstanding wear on your nudies, keep them dry, wear them hard for six months and leave them dirty until it is time.

shiuym
13th December 2011, 20:08
I got a Levi's 501 STF. I put it into the "hottest" water I can get from the bathroom, and keep filling boiling hot water every 30mins for 2 hours. Sadly the jeans is still WAY too big for me. Normally I wear 30X32 and I got that jeans in 32X34.
The soaking part didn't do much on the color also (which is good). I think soaking won't do much on color lost, even I put boil water in. don't worry!