PDA

View Full Version : raw controversy?

propercrumpet
3rd July 2010, 13:30
I don't know if there is anyone around who doesn't like the look of 'worn in' raw denim but recently i have been thinking that a Raw jean new looks really smart and fashionable, and as soon as it is worn in, it starts to look like any other pair of cheap jeans, and you start to stop being able to get into clubs etc. even if you paid £120 for a pair of jeans. I was also wondering if if i did wash my jeans early, I am currently wearing a pair of APC petite standards (that fit more like new standards) will it make the white threads hidden in the weave turn blue?
Just some points of discussion xx

Max Power
3rd July 2010, 15:26
you start to stop being able to get into clubs etc. even if you paid £120 for a pair of jeans.
Is that why you wear raw denim? Ridiculous IMO :roll:

PooJou
3rd July 2010, 15:36
Is that why you wear raw denim? Ridiculous IMO :roll:

I don't think it's ridiculous? Raw dark indigo denim looks extremely smart as he said.

Max Power
3rd July 2010, 15:45
I don't think it's ridiculous? Raw dark indigo denim looks extremely smart as he said.
I didn't doubt that at all. But complaining about not getting into clubs with a worn in jeans? And they look like cheap jeans? You buy raw denim because it looks good new or even because it's expensive? Come on :mrgreen:

Jakob
3rd July 2010, 18:52
if you want to keep the dry look, then buy dry black. it last longer.

mattias
3rd July 2010, 19:01
I can wear unwashed raw jeans to work but not distressed ones so there is some validity to this argument. I'm not sure what the title to this thread means though.....I don't see any controversy in this?

501lover
3rd July 2010, 20:05
Strongly agree with Mattias here (Greetings to Hawaii, incidentally). I see no controversy here at all. May I, in all humility, refer to my profile, where I've written that I love my denim in the extremes, namely raw or very destroyed. Obviously, jeans with many holes and/or repairs are not right for professional occasions, where intact jeans are well-accepted in our world of "casual Fridays", and where my banker wears jeans to his dress coat and business shirt. Many true denim heads will feel an affection, an emotion for their loved-to-death jeans, I emphatically do. But that does not mean I would put them on where they simply don't belong. That would be more stupid than controversial, I feel. On other occasions, I just love it when my most destroyed jeans attract comments, even often negative ones. After all, provocation is a strong part of wearing ripped jeans, and saves something of the rebellious spirit that was expressed by wearing (any kind of) jeans a long time ago.

PooJou
4th July 2010, 02:16
And I also agree with Mattias, time and place I suppose.

Also, I don't expect non-Denim-Heads to appreciate the nuances in dry jeans.

Ley_Raw
4th July 2010, 02:36
Um, I think if you think your raw jeans look like other cheap jeans when broken in then you my friend are wearing cheap raw jeans or your f@ckin blind.

PooJou
4th July 2010, 02:38
Um, I think if you think your raw jeans look like other cheap jeans when broken in then you my friend are wearing cheap raw jeans or your f@ckin blind.

To a non-denim head, they just look like any other kind of pre-washed denim. Even a little more ratty.

Ley_Raw
4th July 2010, 02:44
You'd have to be crazy to think a great pair of just about any broken in Jap. jean(samurai, skull, eternal, pbj, etc, etc, etc.,) or even ( LVC, RRL) looks like a pair of diesels or sevens(and they're not even cheap) I mean are you saying samurai looks like Route 66 when broken in?, come on. Shits not even close, I would go chill with the style forum crew if i was you they can rock out in TR and Ed Hardy and party down with the dope cats at the local dance halls, I mean why the hell would you even make a statement such as this?

PooJou
4th July 2010, 03:14
You'd have to be crazy to think a great pair of just about any broken in Jap. jean(samurai, skull, eternal, pbj, etc, etc, etc.,) or even ( LVC, RRL) looks like a pair of diesels or sevens(and they're not even cheap) I mean are you saying samurai looks like Route 66 when broken in?, come on. Shits not even close, I would go chill with the style forum crew if i was you they can rock out in TR and Ed Hardy and party down with the dope cats at the local dance halls, I mean why the hell would you even make a statement such as this?

Seriously, to a person who has no idea what any of that is, they won't know. I talk about cars, i don't expect my gf to know what i'm talking about lol.

I'm not even sure if you're trolling now. or what.

mesalomanic
4th July 2010, 04:50
It doesn't seem to me to be a matter of how much you paid for your jeans.

Simple fact is that dark jeans with no distressing "dress up" a whole lot better than a broken-in pair. A faded, broken-in, distressed pair of jeans is *casual* attire. Some places (clubs, etc) frown upon that sort of thing.

If you'd like to keep your denim dark, don't wear the same pair day in and day out (rotate a few pairs), and baby 'em. Simple as that.

PandaXS
4th July 2010, 06:29
501lover and mattias hit the nail on the head for me. i originally got into raw denim because i wanted the DARKEST JEANS OUT THERE! but i feel in love with how they faded so now i have a huge appreciation for the process of fading and how denim changes. i do think a nice pair of faded denim that starts raw looks much better than a pre distressed pair

Xx_qO.Op_xX
4th July 2010, 10:04
I don't know if there is anyone around who doesn't like the look of 'worn in' raw denim but recently i have been thinking that a Raw jean new looks really smart and fashionable, and as soon as it is worn in, it starts to look like any other pair of cheap jeans, and you start to stop being able to get into clubs etc. even if you paid £120 for a pair of jeans. I was also wondering if if i did wash my jeans early, I am currently wearing a pair of APC petite standards (that fit more like new standards) will it make the white threads hidden in the weave turn blue?
Just some points of discussion xx

lol, its funny when u think dry denim that way. i love dry denim and the way it progress( thats why u buy dry denim). its better than the expensive craps that i use to collect such as prps, true religion, RnR, and etc.i got a lot of washed expensive jeans but i think its not as nice as dry denim such as nudies(half price of prps too ^^). and if u wanna go to the club in ripped jeans, trust me bribe the bouncer or the manager, give em a couple hundred they will let u in). i always get in night club with no problem whatsoever. all u need is couple hundred bill they will let u in ^^.

madstaxbro
6th July 2010, 10:41
Yeah, a lot of lower priced jeans are sulfur-dyed and whatnot to keep the color in longer. If that's an attribute you value just take a decent pair of dark rinsed denim and starch them a tiny bit to keep them crisp.

mikecch
6th July 2010, 14:05
Interesting points.

I have to say though, most of the times when I'm wearing denim, it's purely for self amusement. I don't think the average person walking past me on the street would know (or care about) the differences between Samurai jeans and supermarket jeans. Just like I don't expect people to know the difference between VG-10 and 440C, or Paradigm and Bose - way too many hobbies and lifestyles out there, can't know them all.

If I wanted admission to a night club or dress-to-impress non-denim-heads, then I think there're other garments more suited to the occasion.

Dry vs. distressed doesn't really come into this issue, and it's certainly no controversy - new dry denim looks 'neater' and darker, hence more formal, and better able to masquerade as gentlemen's trousers :P

jjvornov
6th July 2010, 18:42
I think that you need to have jeans at multiple stages of wear if you're going to wear denim in multiple settings. I always have a pair that's dark to wear with a jacket as a part of a smart casual look. The more worn or ripped pairs are pure casual for downtime.